You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Bayern pleased with good start to season

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Bayern pleased with good start to season

Postby FCBayernNews » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:20 pm

It has been a "good start to the season" for FCB, Christian Nerlinger reflected. Bayern have won six of their seven games so far, conceding no goals in any of the victories. Munich are through to the Champions League group stage and the second round of the DFB Cup, and are finally back on top of the Bundesliga, a position they have not occupied for more than a year, thanks to Saturday's 3-0 win away to Kaiserslautern. "The team has steadily improved from week to week," Jupp Heynckes commented, "and I think we can still play better."

The match at the Betzenberg was the highlight of the campaign so far. "That was our best game of the season. We played as if everything's already happening automatically," continued the coach, praising his team's zonal marking, passing and "composed and focused" overall performance. Mario Gomez' hat-trick - a 37th-minute penalty and further goals on 55 and 69 minutes - ensured FCB were suitably rewarded for 90 minutes of superiority.

"We played unbelievably well as a team today," observed Gomez, "I think it's the third game in a row where our opponents haven't had a single chance to score." All in all, Bayern's opponents have only mustered seven shots on target in the first seven games of the season, and FCB have never before reached this stage of the campaign with only one goal against.

The new-found defensive stability is a source of great pleasure to Heynckes. The 66-year-old has repeatedly said defence was his priority for the early weeks of the training schedule. After the Kaiserslautern clash, he singled out his side's ball-winning, pressing, and rapid switching from attack to defence on losing possession for special praise. "We completely shut them out in defence, and I was very pleased with that," the coach said.

Harmony and balance

"The secret of our current success is that we forwards have realised we have to put in the work too. We've worked very hard on defending in our recent matches," reasoned Thomas Müller. As a result, Bayern have played compact and efficient football. "We have a very homogenous team at the moment, even though we've been making three changes every game," observed Heynckes, whose squad rotation has functioned to perfection thus far.

Munich's attacking play has also come on nicely. "Last season, we had lots of games like today's, where our opponents simply pulled every man back. Often enough, we didn't manage to create many chances," reflected Gomez, "but today, we made six or seven clear-cut chances and scored three goals. That shows we've developed our game well."

Boss: The class I'm looking for

Heynckes' solitary grounds for criticism in Kaiserslautern were a number of missed chances, but the boss otherwise found no fault with a sixth clean-sheet victory and a fifth win on the bounce. "The performance today had the class I'm looking for," he said. The signs for the near future are certainly good. "You can see something's coming together here," summarised captain Philipp Lahm, "we wanted to be up there at the top from the start, avoiding the stumbles we had at the beginning of the last two seasons. We've succeeded in that."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News