You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Andi Ottl set to deputise for Dutch ace

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Andi Ottl set to deputise for Dutch ace

Postby FCBayernNews » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:55 pm

Mark van Bommel was diplomacy personified when asked who he would play in his position in the Champions League quarter-final first leg in Milan, where the Dutch ace will be watching from the stands with suspension. "We have a very strong squad," he commented, referring the questioner to the head coach.

Ottmar Hitzfeld has been equally unwilling to name names, but his starting line-up for Saturday's Bundesliga clash at home to Schalke 04 contained a heavy hint when Andreas Ottl stood in for the injured Owen Hargreaves. The Munich-born product of the club youth system appeared in the starting line-up for only the third time since Christmas, compared to an impressive 15 starts in the first half of the season.

<b>Run-out with reserves</b>

"I was first choice to start with, and it's not that easy when you've been on the bench for a long time," the youngster commented. Ottl gained match practice in the reserves last weekend, earning plaudits and scoring in a 3-0 victory over third division south rivals Reutlingen. "But it was a great feeling to be back in the first team," the 22-year-old admitted after the Schalke clash.

Ottl performed with credit against the Bundesliga leaders, forming a solid partnership alongside van Bommel in defensive midfield. "He did his job extremely well," Hitzfeld said in praise, "he was reliable and good on the ball. He didn't look at all nervous."

<b>Praise from coach</b>

The Schalke fixture had been an examination of sorts for Ottl, Hitzfeld revealed. "I wanted to take a look at him, which is why he got a start. I felt it was important to test him. Now, he's in with a good chance of playing on Tuesday," the coach confirmed.

No-one imagines Ottl to be in the same mould as Van Bommel, a player described by Hitzfeld as "our aggressive leader, who we can't replace like for like. But Ottl is a good footballer." The youngster returned the compliment: "Mark leads from the front, and we know we'll miss him."

<b>Fond memories of Milan</b>

Nevertheless, Andreas will have fond memories of Milan, after making his European debut some six months ago at the Giuseppe Meazza stadium against AC's local rivals Inter, and turning in one of his best displays in a Bayern shirt as the Reds chalked up a 2-0 away victory. "I'm looking forward to Tuesday's match," Ottl declared.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:05 pm

Whatever happened to Karimi? It's true that he's out of match practice, but on paper he should be the best guy to replace Van Bommel with. Last season he had a very good game against Milan...
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Paddy » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:55 pm

MUTU wrote:Whatever happened to Karimi? It's true that he's out of match practice, but on paper he should be the best guy to replace Van Bommel with. Last season he had a very good game against Milan...

Forget about him...why do bayern throw their money for players such as him?
Save the Earth. It´s the only planet with beer.

Paddy
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Sam » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:46 pm

Asian player of the year in 2003 or 2004 wasn't he? I don't think they threw money away. He usually plays very well for Iran, and is very skilled. I am not sure how much they paid for Karimi, but I am fairly sure it wasn't much for a player of his caliber. Anyone know the details?
"Some people think football is a matter of life or death, but it's far more important than that." - Bill Shankley
Sam
Getting the hang of it

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Paddy » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:41 pm

Sam wrote:Asian player of the year in 2003 or 2004 wasn't he? I don't think they threw money away. He usually plays very well for Iran, and is very skilled. I am not sure how much they paid for Karimi, but I am fairly sure it wasn't much for a player of his caliber. Anyone know the details?

He came for free. But u have to pay him wages...anyways he´s too damn slow, not strong enough and he looses the ball quickly.

I mean for a club like Bayern he´s an obscure player.
Save the Earth. It´s the only planet with beer.

Paddy
I post all the time

Postby MUTU » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:55 pm

He's an excellent player. He's not as slow as they put him. Besides, Milan are slow as well. Look at the touches he had in the one match against Milan last season in which he played.

30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Return to Official FC Bayern News