You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

World News Thread

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: World News Thread

Postby Fénix » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:32 pm

Damn I'm even thinking that the safest place on Earth is Africa where the virus has no chance to survive on 40-50 degrees temperature even though the health service in most of countries is 19th century standard, but the climate seems to be the most important thing and people are fascinated how the poorest continent seems to be the safest, at least everything under Sahara despite there are infected Africans who returned from Asia with the virus.
Fénix

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Croatia

Postby Dumbledore7 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:43 pm

Borusse wrote:In Poland all the schools, universtities and kindergartens are closed since today for the next two weeks. And we only have 47 confirmed cases for now, we're acting fast. I'm unemployed for 2 weeks without pay but oh well, maybe it's the right choice to keep this thing from spreading. Italy is only now waking up after 10k+ confirmed cases.

Also a good point. Don't let the fear get to you just because the bigger countries in Europe are run by morons.

Maybe worry if your country is also run by morons :P
Dumbledore7
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Indonesia
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby Borusse » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:45 pm

With the speed that the virus is spreading it makes me think this could be true (that many more people have the virus but they don't experience any symptoms or they experience such mild symptomps that they don't get tested) because the virus should be spreading way faster and somehow it's been spreading logarithmically or worst case scenario linearly but not exponentially as it should in theory. But if we account for all the people that lack the symptoms then the situation stops looking so grim.

Suddenly the mortality rate drops by a huge percentage and we might be able to get this thing under control.

Someone has better info that contradicts all of this? This is just my speculaction based on some sources I've read or heard.
Borusse
Borussia Dortmund Supporter

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Poland

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:48 pm

Yeah, while I’m convinced Malta will soon spiral out of control, at least our hot summers should calm things down.

Borusse, my thoughts are with you. I hope the lack of pay does not cause too many issues.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:51 pm

Fénix wrote:Damn I'm even thinking that the safest place on Earth is Africa where the virus has no chance to survive on 40-50 degrees temperature even though the health service in most of countries is 19th century standard, but the climate seems to be the most important thing and people are fascinated how the poorest continent seems to be the safest, at least everything under Sahara despite there are infected Africans who returned from Asia with the virus.
A profs here said that Africans are immune
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:52 pm

Borusse wrote:With the speed that the virus is spreading it makes me think this could be true (that many more people have the virus but they don't experience any symptoms or they experience such mild symptomps that they don't get tested) because the virus should be spreading way faster and somehow it's been spreading logarithmically or worst case scenario linearly but not exponentially as it should in theory. But if we account for all the people that lack the symptoms then the situation stops looking so grim.

Suddenly the mortality rate drops by a huge percentage and we might be able to get this thing under control.

Someone has better info that contradicts all of this? This is just my speculaction based on some sources I've read or heard.

Exactly! Although also, it is already worrying how fast the virus spreads, so if there are also many people who have not even been detected...

I am sure we have more than the reported cases in Malta at least. I also think I might have been one of them given that I spent two hours in the away stand with Milan fans just a day or two before things started escalating in Lombardia. If I did though, I never had noticeable symptoms and almost three weeks have passed.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:53 pm

The stats are updated now. 7% globally and 45% in Italy are dying of coronavirus.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Borusse » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:55 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Yeah, while I’m convinced Malta will soon spiral out of control, at least our hot summers should calm things down.

Borusse, my thoughts are with you. I hope the lack of pay does not cause too many issues.

Thanks, I will be fine though, I have some funds saved up. :P
Borusse

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Poland

Postby Borusse » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:57 pm

MUTU wrote:The stats are updated now. 7% globally and 45% in Italy are dying of coronavirus.

Yeah I've seen those. But as I mentioned, they don't include all the unreported cases because of very mild symptoms. So it shouldn't be as bad as these numbers suggest.
Borusse

National Flag:
Poland

Postby MUTU » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:00 pm

Borusse wrote:
MUTU wrote:The stats are updated now. 7% globally and 45% in Italy are dying of coronavirus.

Yeah I've seen those. But as I mentioned, they don't include all the unreported cases because of very mild symptoms. So it shouldn't be as bad as these numbers suggest.

But those people are people who never knew they had Coronavirus. As things stand, if 100 Italians test positive, 45 of those are expected to die. The people with very mild symptoms are actually the most dangerous because they're the ones who are more likely to spread it to others.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Borusse » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:09 pm

Exactly, so they are not included in the stats which means the death rate is actually much lower.

Also, the virus takes even up to 8 weeks to recover from (mostly 2-3 weeks though) so just because right now there is close to 50% of recovered and 50% of deaths and the rest of cases are active doesn't mean that those active ones have a 50% chance of dying.

China has a big enough sample to see that the mortality rate is around 4-5% but including all the unreported mild cases I would say it's much closer to 2-3%. It's still a lot but let's not dramatize with this 45% mortality rate, it's just a short-term stat based on a small sample.
Borusse

National Flag:
Poland

Postby PunkCapitalist » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:23 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:That’s why I said it is probable that we’ll have local transmission soon, and at that point closing borders won’t solve itz

Re genetically modified, it is not a farfetched conspiracy theory although I see no reason to believe it.
The point of closing borders is not really to completely avoid the virus spreading internally, it's just to slow it down. The big thing about this virus is that if everyone gets sick at the same time, there is no way clinics can cope. Even if there is internal transmission, you still want to limit people coming from countries were the virus is more widespread.

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk
PunkCapitalist

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:25 pm

Borusse wrote:Exactly, so they are not included in the stats which means the death rate is actually much lower.

Also, the virus takes even up to 8 weeks to recover from (mostly 2-3 weeks though) so just because right now there is close to 50% of recovered and 50% of deaths and the rest of cases are active doesn't mean that those active ones have a 50% chance of dying.

China has a big enough sample to see that the mortality rate is around 4-5% but including all the unreported mild cases I would say it's much closer to 2-3%. It's still a lot but let's not dramatize with this 45% mortality rate, it's just a short-term stat based on a small sample.

The problem is that this 45% figure is the largest it's been. It's increasing every day, because of lack of resources.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:29 pm

PunkCapitalist wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:That’s why I said it is probable that we’ll have local transmission soon, and at that point closing borders won’t solve itz

Re genetically modified, it is not a farfetched conspiracy theory although I see no reason to believe it.
The point of closing borders is not really to completely avoid the virus spreading internally, it's just to slow it down. The big thing about this virus is that if everyone gets sick at the same time, there is no way clinics can cope. Even if there is internal transmission, you still want to limit people coming from countries were the virus is more widespread.

I think we are anyway heading towards a point where no one will be travelling as much as they can avoid it anyway. I’d rather avoid setting that precedent of not allowing anyone in or out as much as possible, although in places which haven’t been so hit yet it can be a solution.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby PunkCapitalist » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:34 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
PunkCapitalist wrote:

I think we are anyway heading towards a point where no one will be travelling as much as they can avoid it anyway. I’d rather avoid setting that precedent of not allowing anyone in or out as much as possible, although in places which haven’t been so hit yet it can be a solution.
Well I think those are the thoughts on Macron and Merkel's minds. That is also why authoritarian countries, such as China, are better suited to contain the virus. They can quarantine a complete city and it's not gonna be a big deal. If you do the same in the (free) west, there's gonna be an uproar.

PunkCapitalist

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge