You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

World News Thread

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: World News Thread

Postby ramsej84 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:46 am

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/ ... ack.753865

Prime Minister Boris Johnson vowed Saturday to review Britain's sentencing system after a convicted terrorist released early from prison stabbed two people to death and injured three in a London Bridge attack.

A big well done to the general public for stopping him...
Especially the same inmates who were attending the course.

https://youtu.be/t8b-i_o1SdM
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:04 pm

More than 800,000 people have taken to the streets [source]
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:02 pm

Six dead in gun rampage at Czech hospital
The suspect is still at large [source]

:cry:
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:18 pm

ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:41 pm

UK exit poll:
- Tories increase their majority from 36 to 86, effectively meaning Brexit is done by end of January
- SNP to hold 55 out of 59 Scottish seats, effectively meaning we can expect an independent Scotland soon.

Let’s see if it’s accurate.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:15 am

Boris Johnson won it BIG
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:33 am

ramsej84 wrote:Boris Johnson won it BIG

I see a lot of parallels with what is going to happen in Malta.

This was touted as a Brexit election and to some extent it is clear that in some regions they have endorsed that. However you will notice there are also a lot of seats Labour lost in places where the Liberal Democrats (anti-Brexit) made gains. Basically they took away enough votes to make the Tory candidate have most and get elected.

Labour made a grave mistake by ignoring all the signs for a long time: that people didn’t want Corbyn as PM. As much as many people don’t want Brexit, they couldn’t bring themselves to vote for him and that helped bring about such a swing in Tory favour. In the most important election in a generation, Labour fielded their weakest offering, and the country will suffer for that.

Something similar will happen in Malta I think. We will have a corruption/good governance election but as much as people might not like Labour after recent events they will get elected by a huge majority because too many people don’t want Delia as PM and will not vote/still vote Labour/vote for smaller parties. PN are similarly ignoring all the signs.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:42 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:Boris Johnson won it BIG

I see a lot of parallels with what is going to happen in Malta.

This was touted as a Brexit election and to some extent it is clear that in some regions they have endorsed that. However you will notice there are also a lot of seats Labour lost in places where the Liberal Democrats (anti-Brexit) made gains. Basically they took away enough votes to make the Tory candidate have most and get elected.

Labour made a grave mistake by ignoring all the signs for a long time: that people didn’t want Corbyn as PM. As much as many people don’t want Brexit, they couldn’t bring themselves to vote for him and that helped bring about such a swing in Tory favour. In the most important election in a generation, Labour fielded their weakest offering, and the country will suffer for that.

Something similar will happen in Malta I think. We will have a corruption/good governance election but as much as people might not like Labour after recent events they will get elected by a huge majority because too many people don’t want Delia as PM and will not vote/still vote Labour/vote for smaller parties. PN are similarly ignoring all the signs.
Very good analysis ... I am afraid that the P.N is not electable for the time being.
However not only cause of Delia...
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:47 am

I agree, quite a few reasons. For me he’s the biggest one stopping me from voting for them though.

Re: UK. Shame the SNP didn’t get more than 50 seats in the end but they got pretty close. Still their second highest amount ever. It will be pretty interesting to see what happens in Scotland in the next couple of years.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:53 am

But Delia is not being helped by those around him.
I don't believe that he has done any wrongdoing...
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:00 am

I dunno, Daphne seems to have been pretty right on everyone else she accused, and given her hatred for Labour she had no reason to invent stories about their opponent imo.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:55 pm

What’s interesting also is Boris Johnson’s rhetoric, repeatedly insisting he now has a mandate to deliver Brexit. And of course, nothing can stop him with such a majority.

And yet, the anti-Brexit parties got a combined total of almost 52% of the vote, almost the same amount Leave got in the referendum.

Boris is making an ugly move here by replacing a referendum where every vote counts as one vote irrespective of where you live with a general election with a broken first-past-the-post system where a party that wins by 20k in one place and loses by 100 in two places is somehow in a minority.

Delivering what the people want my foot.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:13 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:What’s interesting also is Boris Johnson’s rhetoric, repeatedly insisting he now has a mandate to deliver Brexit. And of course, nothing can stop him with such a majority.

And yet, the anti-Brexit parties got a combined total of almost 52% of the vote, almost the same amount Leave got in the referendum.

Boris is making an ugly move here by replacing a referendum where every vote counts as one vote irrespective of where you live with a general election with a broken first-past-the-post system where a party that wins by 20k in one place and loses by 100 in two places is somehow in a minority.

Delivering what the people want my foot.
People are going to keep on stamping their feet in any case...
I am still of the op that something WILL HAPPEN and Brexit won't happen...

Never underestimate the UEssr
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:23 pm

Israel hails Johnson win as defeat for anti-Semitism

Israel hailed the election defeat of Britain's Labour Party as a "milestone in the fight against hatred" after its leadership was accused of inaction against anti-Semitism in its ranks.

"I congratulate British Prime Minister Johnson and the UK Conservative Party on a decisive victory," Foreign Minister Israel Katz said. 

"This is not just a political victory, it is first and foremost a victory of values. 

"The spectre of anti-Semitism loomed large over this campaign, and the British public overwhelmingly voted against it, in what is, in our opinion, a testament to British history and values. 

"It serves as an important milestone in the fight against hatred."
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:26 pm

Nah, there is only a very tiny chance Brexit won't happen now. I think the House of Lords might be able to do something although not sure how that works and in any case they very likely won't. Then the European Parliament could reject the deal on the EU's side, but again, very unlikely.

You know my opinion on Brexit but I think even if they are ultimately to leave it is only fair to put it to a confirmatory referendum. This election is being considered a statement in favour of Brexit yet as I explained, if you consider the votes individually it suggests there is in fact a Remain majority, as we have been seeing in all surveys. Taking it as a mandate for (hard?) Brexit because of the majority when anti-Brexit/pro-Referendum parties have almost 52% of the vote is just duping the people and taking advantage, in my opinion. Only a referendum can really say whether people still think the same or whether they've changed their mind. Not general elections or any other election. The same thing happened in the European elections where the Brexit party got the most seats because they absorbed all the Leave votes, but the anti-Brexit parties put together (since there was not just one party to vote for) actually got more seats.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge