You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Today in History

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: Today in History

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:32 pm

ramsej84 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:Must say the monument looks strange to me now. I’ve gotten used to the Daphne memorial there.

That was not the place for a shrine.
Sorry if I am to shock you: but I was never against those who cleaned it from Daphne memorial thingies from time to time...

P.S Daphne things were put aside on the right hand side (facing the monument) of the monument

I don't mind you agreeing it with clearing it up and I understand the argument that "occupying" a national monument for almost 3 years is not nice just as much as I understand the importance and symbolism of having the memorial right in front of the courts. I was merely commenting on how different it looks without them. After 3 years it's become a familiar sight.

To be honest I think the memorial should have been moved to in front of Castille at least since November.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:36 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:Must say the monument looks strange to me now. I’ve gotten used to the Daphne memorial there.

That was not the place for a shrine.
Sorry if I am to shock you: but I was never against those who cleaned it from Daphne memorial thingies from time to time...

P.S Daphne things were put aside on the right hand side (facing the monument) of the monument

I don't mind you agreeing it with clearing it up and I understand the argument that "occupying" a national monument for almost 3 years is not nice just as much as I understand the importance and symbolism of having the memorial right in front of the courts. I was merely commenting on how different it looks without them. After 3 years it's become a familiar sight.

To be honest I think the memorial should have been moved to in front of Castille at least since November.
Or before Parliament.

Anyway I am going to post something (interesting) on the today I learned thread
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:07 am

Just look at the date
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby nm462272 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:15 am

ramsej84 wrote:Just look at the date

19 years ago... crazy how time flies
Des interessiert mi ois ned, der Scheißdreck. Weltmeister samma! Den Pott hamma! Den scheiß goldener Schuh kannst da hinter d’Ohr’n schmiern! - Mia San Mia

Euer Hass ist unser Stolz!
nm462272
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:48 am

Yeah... it struck me just how long ago it was a few days ago when we were discussing the anniversary being so close and I realised my GF’s sisters (born 2001 and 2002) have no recollection of it - one was even born after the event.

I was young myself but I remember it very vividly and can pinpoint the exact tile I was sitting on on the floor and the angle at which I was watching the tv. And I’m not the only one. When I used to teach English as a foreign language we had a text on flashbulb memories (which are what I just described, when you remember every single detail and can recreate it entirely, like a video) and whenever I used thay text, invariably, the question “do you have any flashbulb memories?” was answered by 9/11 as the first example. Every single group out of dozens, young and old.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:40 am

I was watching the Simpsons (Italian tv) ... the episode was about the Y2K virus which was supposed to hit the world on 01.01.2000 @00hrs00mins and was to send in tilt all electro devices.
So in this episode among other things Planes were landing in front gardens etc!!!

Then, mins later instead of the usual prog there was a flash news and live coverage of the mayhem.
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:15 pm

It was around this time!
I remember that late in the afternoon I had a training session with the senior team... and there was a guy a Tunisian player ... and he was extremely satisfied with the outcome and said that they (the Americans) deserved it ! A truly terrorist attitude. All present felt sick and offended him , his family and all his folk for long mins.
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Operation 'Market Garden' - a bridge too far

Postby r10 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:37 am

r10
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membership

National Flag:
Poland

Postby ramsej84 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:27 am

1964 Malta independent;
Finally the British Empire acted on our pleas which were ongoing since the turn of the Century...
After thousands of years under foreign Rule , fighting the wars and being exploited by these same (different) rulers finally Malta got what it deserved and became a Sovereign Nation.

We were one of the very last who got the Independence from Britain... and they only left the Islands in 1979 as they had signed a pact to keep some areas for themselves & to retreat gradually. Five years before this we also became Republic.
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:45 am

ramsej84 wrote:We were one of the very last who got the Independence from Britain...

Some months ago I was talking to an elderly Scottish man who told me they were desperate to hold on to Malta because they considered Malta to be more than a colony (we did, in fact, almost become part of the UK). He said he remembers newspaper articles from the late 1950s running pretty much the exact same scare campaign (Malta can't survive on its own economically, it needs British money, the Maltese will lose more than the British etc.) as they are running today with regard to Scottish independence.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:10 pm

5 years ago.

FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Previous

Return to The Lounge