You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Today in History

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: Today in History

Postby Lukas » Fri May 08, 2020 4:07 pm

I had now idea either but...

In the summers of 1941 to 1945, during the Second World War, Britain was two hours ahead of GMT and operating on British Double Summer Time (BDST). To bring this about, the clocks were not put back by an hour at the end of summer in 1940; in subsequent years, clocks continued to be advanced by one hour each spring and put back by an hour each autumn until July 1945. The clocks were brought back in line with GMT at the end of summer in 1947.[9][10]
Lukas
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri May 08, 2020 4:36 pm

Interesting... that kind of makes it weird that they still used GMT in the notice, as Britain being ahead of it by 2 hours effectively meant it was at 9 p.m. there too. I guess Malta was also following the same time then instead of our usual 1 hour difference.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby MUTU » Fri May 08, 2020 5:18 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:[quote="ramsej84"]The end of ww2

In commemoration all the Church Bells in Malta will all be made to ring simultaneously between 11.30 & noon
I didn’t hear anything.
Mee too... and from my workplace I could easily hear three or four diff ones.

Though I heard some fireworks
Saw a video of our town church now but I didn’t hear it from home and it’s not that far from me.[/quote]
Stop feeding ramsej84 conspiracy theories
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Fri May 08, 2020 7:30 pm

#12 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:
#12 wrote:[quote="FCBayernMunchen"][quote="ramsej84"][quote="Lukas"]Today is a holiday in the uk. People are holding parties at home and yes some see it as a way to celebrate “being British” and “beating the Germans”. For me it is a day for quiet reflection and thanks for the Europe we have today
That is the only they have to beat the Germans

Although it happened thanks to others as well...
The English contribution was probably more defensive, in their ability to hold off the Germans while no one else could, primarily in London and Malta (due to the North Africa campaign). Offensively, which ultimately caused the surrender, is more due to the Americans and Russians from what I know.
The Russians could and did...
Actually, the Russian contribution is far, FAR bigger than anyone else’s...[/quote]Yes, I should probably have added “almost”. But Germany did win large parts of Russia prior to Stalingrad, didn’t it? Or am I confusing this with Napoleon?[/quote]They did, in early stages when they also faced less opposition... Russian mobilization really only started then...
Britain was mainly saved, because it's an island, Russia had no such advantage... They held German forces back very well nonetheless... The initial goal had been to quickly win huge areas of land in a Blitzkrieg manner and to end the war on the Eastern Front before Winter 41...[/quote]It was a big mistake to go to the East.
Hitler was obsessed with the East
Had it been someone else in charge and had no problem with the Jews and had no nazi ideology Ger would have conquered the Europe and the US.
GER had to invade Malta and instead left to Russia. By conquering Malta they could have won Africa...
Also a big mistake was Dunkirk... But hitler was still hopeful to bring on his side the German cousins... but he miscalculated that leading them was a drunken sob... one of THe biggest racist in history... probably close to Hitler himself.

Also why did Ger and Japan squeezed Russia? A big question which I always ask myself...
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Fri May 08, 2020 8:11 pm

ramsej84 wrote:
#12 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:[quote="#12"][quote="FCBayernMunchen"][quote="ramsej84"][quote="Lukas"]Today is a holiday in the uk. People are holding parties at home and yes some see it as a way to celebrate “being British” and “beating the Germans”. For me it is a day for quiet reflection and thanks for the Europe we have today

The English contribution was probably more defensive, in their ability to hold off the Germans while no one else could, primarily in London and Malta (due to the North Africa campaign). Offensively, which ultimately caused the surrender, is more due to the Americans and Russians from what I know.
Actually, the Russian contribution is far, FAR bigger than anyone else’s...[/quote]Yes, I should probably have added “almost”. But Germany did win large parts of Russia prior to Stalingrad, didn’t it? Or am I confusing this with Napoleon?[/quote]They did, in early stages when they also faced less opposition... Russian mobilization really only started then...
Britain was mainly saved, because it's an island, Russia had no such advantage... They held German forces back very well nonetheless... The initial goal had been to quickly win huge areas of land in a Blitzkrieg manner and to end the war on the Eastern Front before Winter 41...[/quote]It was a big mistake to go to the East.
Had it been someone else in charge and had no problem with the Jews and had no nazi ideology Ger would have conquered the Europe and the US.
GER had to invade Malta and instead left to Russia. By conquering Malta they could have won Africa...
Also a big mistake was Dunkirk... But hitler was still hopeful to bring on his side the German cousins... but he miscalculated that leading them was a drunken sob... one of THe biggest racist in history... probably close to Hitler himself.

Also why did Ger and Japan squeezed Russia? A big question which I always ask myself...[/quote]

Didn’t we do this already? Japan had no interest in Russia whatsoever and the Thors Reich and Japan, even Italy, had more of a loose bond than actual cooperation... National interests, you know, the thing you promote

Oh and look - I love America... I think it is a shithole in some aspects today with the fucking GOP tearing it to the ground - but their military forces are still the strongest in the world... And no, they would've never lost that war... Under no circumstances, EVER...
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby ramsej84 » Fri May 08, 2020 8:32 pm

Lately I saw a doc...on how Mussolini was worried about the fact that Ger had annexed Austria
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Fri May 08, 2020 8:34 pm

#12 wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:
#12 wrote:[quote="FCBayernMunchen"][quote="#12"][quote="FCBayernMunchen"][quote="ramsej84"][quote="Lukas"]Today is a holiday in the uk. People are holding parties at home and yes some see it as a way to celebrate “being British” and “beating the Germans”. For me it is a day for quiet reflection and thanks for the Europe we have today

Also why did Ger and Japan squeezed Russia? A big question which I always ask myself...[/quote]

Didn’t we do this already? Japan had no interest in Russia whatsoever and the Thors Reich and Japan, even Italy, had more of a loose bond than actual cooperation... National interests, you know, the thing you promote

Oh and look - I love America... I think it is a shithole in some aspects today with the fucking GOP tearing it to the ground - but their military forces are still the strongest in the world... And no, they would've never lost that war... Under no circumstances, EVER...[/quote]To win the war.
I am not an expert but I think that there was not much of cooperation between the Axis.
Everyone fought for its own interest
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Fri May 08, 2020 8:45 pm

ramsej84 wrote:
#12 wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:[quote="#12"][quote="FCBayernMunchen"][quote="#12"][quote="FCBayernMunchen"][quote="ramsej84"][quote="Lukas"]Today is a holiday in the uk. People are holding parties at home and yes some see it as a way to celebrate “being British” and “beating the Germans”. For me it is a day for quiet reflection and thanks for the Europe we have today

Oh and look - I love America... I think it is a shithole in some aspects today with the fucking GOP tearing it to the ground - but their military forces are still the strongest in the world... And no, they would've never lost that war... Under no circumstances, EVER...[/quote]To win the war.
I am not an expert but I think that there was not much of cooperation between the Axis.
Everyone fought for its own interest[/quote]
Erm... Isn’t that essentially what I wrote?
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby ramsej84 » Fri May 08, 2020 9:57 pm

#12 wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:
#12 wrote:[quote="ramsej84"][quote="#12"][quote="FCBayernMunchen"][quote="#12"][quote="FCBayernMunchen"][quote="ramsej84"][quote="Lukas"]Today is a holiday in the uk. People are holding parties at home and yes some see it as a way to celebrate “being British” and “beating the Germans”. For me it is a day for quiet reflection and thanks for the Europe we have today

Everyone fought for its own interest[/quote]
Erm... Isn’t that essentially what I wrote? [/quote]Yes ... true.
This was also on the other side...
Deep inside Churchill hated the Reds as much as he hated the Germans... and was never at ease in Stalin's (read Satan's) presence
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri May 08, 2020 10:52 pm

ramsej84 wrote:It was a big mistake to go to the East.

Also why did Ger and Japan squeezed Russia? A big question which I always ask myself...

To be fair they did come pretty close to starving and conquering Malta. In the end I think Hitler did not value our strategic importance as much as the British. The British kept trying to supply Malta even against all hope with all ships being sunk. In the end it is what saved Malta and possibly (at a bit of a stretch) the Empire.

Regarding the American thing, it’s probably true they could never have lost the war but I wonder, if all the other Allies had fallen would they still have gotten involved? I don’t really know the history around this, but maybe not if they weren’t invaded.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Fri May 08, 2020 11:50 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:It was a big mistake to go to the East.

To be fair they did come pretty close to starving and conquering Malta. In the end I think Hitler did not value our strategic importance as much as the British. The British kept trying to supply Malta even against all hope with all ships being sunk. In the end it is what saved Malta and possibly (at a bit of a stretch) the Empire.

Regarding the American thing, it’s probably true they could never have lost the war but I wonder, if all the other Allies had fallen would they still have gotten involved? I don’t really know the history around this, but maybe not if they weren’t invaded.
America would’ve never gotten involved if it weren’t for being attacked on their home soil... Roosevelt very much wanted to aid Britain, but Pearl Harbor was what kinda changed the American people‘s attitude... Maybe even then they would’ve only focused on the Pacific theater... But... Not with uncle Hitler... In the wake of said attack, the Third Reich declared war on the US... Unprovoked and uninvolved... They were basically forced into it, albeit I read somewhere that there was some evidence that Roosevelt carefully engineered it to some extent...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby ramsej84 » Sat May 09, 2020 7:08 am

Exactly as #12 said. Roosevelt wanted ... or let say he was pushed into it by some hidden lobbies... but the Pearl Harbor incident was the cherry on the cake.
Re the latter... it is not true that the US was not warned... They just wanted to create some drama for their propaganda...
They were warned more than once plus I am sure that they had the proper tools to detect the imminent attack.

The US doing the US as usual...

But anyway maybe in a 100 years time more truth will surface up.
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat May 09, 2020 8:52 am

Interesting, I’d like to know more about the engineering part if you know anything.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Sat May 09, 2020 11:09 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Interesting, I’d like to know more about the engineering part if you know anything.
A little bare rock called Malta had the radar.
A tool which saved thousands (for the record Malta was the most country bombed during ww2 & "only" some 1600 perished due to direct hits)

The radars were scattered around the isl.
There is still one in Dingli which survived all these years for example...
I leaned this from that doc on tvm
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Sat May 09, 2020 12:25 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Interesting, I’d like to know more about the engineering part if you know anything.
Can’t help you with the ramsej all out conspiracy mode
And I cannot find the paper right now...

But it’s no secret Roosevelt wanted the US to enter the war, both Naval Expansion and Cash&Carry acts, for example, are clear signs, combined with the introduction of draft service, strengthening of Pacific defenses and joint staff sessions with the Brits way ahead of December 41 I think it’s accurate to draw the conclusion Roosevelt wanted it...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge