You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Today in History

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: Today in History

Postby Lukas » Fri May 08, 2020 10:43 am

Today is a holiday in the uk. People are holding parties at home and yes some see it as a way to celebrate “being British” and “beating the Germans”. For me it is a day for quiet reflection and thanks for the Europe we have today
Lukas
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri May 08, 2020 12:01 pm

ramsej84 wrote:The end of ww2

In commemoration all the Church Bells in Malta will all be made to ring simultaneously between 11.30 & noon
I didn’t hear anything. :lol:
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ramsej84 » Fri May 08, 2020 12:02 pm

Lukas wrote:Today is a holiday in the uk. People are holding parties at home and yes some see it as a way to celebrate “being British” and “beating the Germans”. For me it is a day for quiet reflection and thanks for the Europe we have today
That is the only they have to beat the Germans

Although it happened thanks to others as well...
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Fri May 08, 2020 12:02 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:

In commemoration all the Church Bells in Malta will all be made to ring simultaneously between 11.30 & noon
I didn’t hear anything.
Mee too... and from my workplace I could easily hear three or four diff ones.

Though I heard some fireworks
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri May 08, 2020 12:14 pm

ramsej84 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:

I didn’t hear anything.

Saw a video of our town church now but I didn’t hear it from home and it’s not that far from me.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri May 08, 2020 12:16 pm

ramsej84 wrote:
Lukas wrote:Today is a holiday in the uk. People are holding parties at home and yes some see it as a way to celebrate “being British” and “beating the Germans”. For me it is a day for quiet reflection and thanks for the Europe we have today

The English contribution was probably more defensive, in their ability to hold off the Germans while no one else could, primarily in London and Malta (due to the North Africa campaign). Offensively, which ultimately caused the surrender, is more due to the Americans and Russians from what I know.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Fri May 08, 2020 12:39 pm

And they needed the US, Russia and France to do it...

The Europe you HAD - before the same wankers voted you out of it
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby #12 » Fri May 08, 2020 12:41 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:

The English contribution was probably more defensive, in their ability to hold off the Germans while no one else could, primarily in London and Malta (due to the North Africa campaign). Offensively, which ultimately caused the surrender, is more due to the Americans and Russians from what I know.
The Russians could and did...
Actually, the Russian contribution is far, FAR bigger than anyone else’s...
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Lukas » Fri May 08, 2020 1:00 pm

#12 wrote:

To those bastards it should be a strong reminder what a divided Europe is like. All it takes is one mad man to take control of a dissatisfied, broke population. Johnson isn't that bad but there are certain people and groups associated with Brexit that are not too far from the people they claim Britain single handedly defeated in the 1940s. The irony is lost on them though
Lukas
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri May 08, 2020 1:20 pm

#12 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:[quote="Lukas"]Today is a holiday in the uk. People are holding parties at home and yes some see it as a way to celebrate “being British” and “beating the Germans”. For me it is a day for quiet reflection and thanks for the Europe we have today

Actually, the Russian contribution is far, FAR bigger than anyone else’s...[/quote]Yes, I should probably have added “almost”. But Germany did win large parts of Russia prior to Stalingrad, didn’t it? Or am I confusing this with Napoleon?
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Fri May 08, 2020 1:22 pm

Lukas wrote:
#12 wrote:

To those bastards it should be a strong reminder what a divided Europe is like. All it takes is one mad man to take control of a dissatisfied, broke population. Johnson isn't that bad but there are certain people and groups associated with Brexit that are not too far from the people they claim Britain single handedly defeated in the 1940s. The irony is lost on them though
They got one across the pond - he's not clever enough though
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby ramsej84 » Fri May 08, 2020 1:27 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:[quote="ramsej84"]The end of ww2

I didn’t hear anything.

Saw a video of our town church now but I didn’t hear it from home and it’s not that far from me.[/quote]Weird
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Fri May 08, 2020 1:38 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
#12 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:[quote="ramsej84"][quote="Lukas"]Today is a holiday in the uk. People are holding parties at home and yes some see it as a way to celebrate “being British” and “beating the Germans”. For me it is a day for quiet reflection and thanks for the Europe we have today

Actually, the Russian contribution is far, FAR bigger than anyone else’s...[/quote]Yes, I should probably have added “almost”. But Germany did win large parts of Russia prior to Stalingrad, didn’t it? Or am I confusing this with Napoleon?[/quote]They did, in early stages when they also faced less opposition... Russian mobilization really only started then...
Britain was mainly saved, because it's an island, Russia had no such advantage... They held German forces back very well nonetheless... The initial goal had been to quickly win huge areas of land in a Blitzkrieg manner and to end the war on the Eastern Front before Winter 41...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri May 08, 2020 1:42 pm

Yeah, that part (about wrapping it up before winter) I know.

Interesting stuff. Fascinating, if it weren’t for so many lives lost.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Today in History

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri May 08, 2020 3:58 pm

You’ll find this interesting:

One thing that stands out to me is the King’s broadcast to the Empire which is listed as 7 p.m. GMT and 9 p.m. Malta time. Did Britain not use DST at the time? Lukas, any idea?
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge