You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

The BF learn-a-new-language thread

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: The BF learn-a-new-language thread

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:52 pm

MUTU wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:I don't care that Eng is an official lang... it is so cause our colonizers decided so in order to eradicate our latin (italian) heritage...
we are not anglosaxons... we are a cross - breed of latin and semitic people ... MY LANGUAGE is Maltese

Your language is Maltese and theirs is English. Why do you feel obliged to hate on them? Don't you see that the hate is not reciprocal but completely one-sided?
Mine could he hate and could be not...
Theirs ... is not hate... but surely they look down on who replies to them in Maltese...
In the world of this young lady everyone is "eng speaking" so for her my colleague is an alien ... and outsider... the one in the wrong... probably the hammallu ... or a lesser being....
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:00 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Anyway, somewhat related, I just saw a video by an actress I know with the caption "Sometimes I do stuff in Luxembourgish too", and I realised I've never heard her speak anything other than English, even in the work she does back home (as the caption shows). Quite interesting considering that being from Luxembourg her country has 3 official languages, all of which she speaks, but English is not even one of them. I don't think the English phenomenon is limited to Malta or it being an official language here... though I also don't believe that the whole world will end up speaking only English as many think. English will become more and more of a lingua franca but countless people around the world still value and treasure their local languages too.
I think we hype the Eng language a bit too much...
In my experience (I did not travel much) apart from England ,I have been to Germany in Bavaria on one occasion (also incl Austria) & Freiburg im Breisgau on another (Switzerland & France incl) and italy

In Munchen I spoke mainly in English but had to resort to Italian at times...

In Freiburg it is worse ... very few English speakers... some asked me either French or German so I had to use gestures...

Then from my experience at work... the Spaniards are the worse ...disaster the majority are horrible...
I can imagine that the Lusitans are worse
France no comment

Probably the best English speakers are the Dutch and the Scandinavians
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:05 pm

ramsej84 wrote:
MUTU wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:I don't care that Eng is an official lang... it is so cause our colonizers decided so in order to eradicate our latin (italian) heritage...
we are not anglosaxons... we are a cross - breed of latin and semitic people ... MY LANGUAGE is Maltese

Your language is Maltese and theirs is English. Why do you feel obliged to hate on them? Don't you see that the hate is not reciprocal but completely one-sided?
Theirs ... is not hate... but surely they look down on who replies to them in Maltese...
In the world of this young lady everyone is "eng speaking" so for her my colleague is an alien ... and outsider... the one in the wrong... probably the hammallu ... or a lesser being....

No that's your imagination. No one has ever called someone hamallu simply for speaking Maltese. There's absolutely zero hate from English speakers, but I see a lot of hate towards them.

Also, as I said, there are more people in Malta who speak in English than Maltese so when I call somewhere in Malta I usually use English despite that I feel much more comfortable speaking in Maltese.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:15 pm

MUTU wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:
MUTU wrote:[quote="ramsej84"]I don't care that Eng is an official lang... it is so cause our colonizers decided so in order to eradicate our latin (italian) heritage...

No that's your imagination. No one has ever called someone hamallu simply for speaking Maltese. There's absolutely zero hate from English speakers, but I see a lot of hate towards them.

Also, as I said, there are more people in Malta who speak in English than Maltese so when I call somewhere in Malta I usually use English despite that I feel much more comfortable speaking in Maltese.[/quote]... of course you do.... since we are full up with foreigners....

And about how they look on Maltese speakers... do you by any chance remember a certain DCG?
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:25 pm

What about DCG? I have NEVER seen anyone look down on someone for speaking Maltese. And I know a lot of people who speak in English. Usually the ones hating on them are the ones unable to write in Maltese.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby PunkCapitalist » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:51 pm

ramsej84 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:Anyway, somewhat related, I just saw a video by an actress I know with the caption "Sometimes I do stuff in Luxembourgish too", and I realised I've never heard her speak anything other than English, even in the work she does back home (as the caption shows). Quite interesting considering that being from Luxembourg her country has 3 official languages, all of which she speaks, but English is not even one of them. I don't think the English phenomenon is limited to Malta or it being an official language here... though I also don't believe that the whole world will end up speaking only English as many think. English will become more and more of a lingua franca but countless people around the world still value and treasure their local languages too.
In my experience (I did not travel much) apart from England ,I have been to Germany in Bavaria on one occasion (also incl Austria) & Freiburg im Breisgau on another (Switzerland & France incl) and italy

In Freiburg it is worse ... very few English speakers... some asked me either French or German so I had to use gestures...

Then from my experience at work... the Spaniards are the worse ...disaster the majority are horrible...
France no comment

Spaniards are famously unable to speak English without a heavy accent, same as the french

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk
PunkCapitalist
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:57 pm

ramsej84 wrote:

France no comment

I don't know when you went to Germany but in my two times there in recent years as well as in Austria, the only place I didn't find people who speak very good English was literally on top of a mountain... I had to resort to very basic German and ended up ordering twice the amount of food I wanted, haha... I did visit Freiburg, too. No problems.

There is usually a very big age divide in English level, especially in Eastern Europe and in Italy. However in Germany and Sweden I did not observe this at all. In Sweden I would say they have better English than most Maltese.

When I still taught English I used to have German students occasionally, always middle aged, and they were often the best in their classes UNLESS there were teenagers with them in class. With Italians for example the young ones were great, but the adults struggled. That said my sample of Germans wasn't big. I taught almost exclusively Russians and Italians.

In France, from experience, it is very much the same. There's a clear age divide. At university there was a year when we had a French exchange student with us and on social media with her friends she pretty much switches between French and English all the time, much like we do in Malta. It seems like the French youths are very much English-speaking too. In Corsica though I didn't find anyone who speaks English.

That said, I do agree that many overhype English... because many think the whole world will end up speaking only English. The truth is there were many other languages throughout history with the same status English has today or even stronger and they have all had their eras end. English's will too... but it is the language of our time and I expect in our lifetimes it will become even more of the international language than it already is. I think in 20 or 30 years we will be able to comfortably get by with English anywhere in the world that is not an isolated place (like remote islands). However, I fully expect locals to continue to use local languages even if they do also use English between themselves.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:27 pm

Turns out I know a language I didn’t know I know. :P

FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:41 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Turns out I know a language I didn’t know I know.

Il Aaaaaahhhhhaa :)
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:17 pm

ramsej84 wrote:Il Aaaaaahhhhhaa

I'm proud of myself because I understood every single word since I'm familiar with all 6 languages. I imagine a lot of people would understand everything from context but there would be a few words which throw them off.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:22 pm

amazing ! :P
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Fénix » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:36 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Turns out I know a language I didn’t know I know. :P

That's why apart from English decided to learn Spanish, German and Portuguese and then this all looks simple to understand. :)
Fénix

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Croatia

Postby MUTU » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:13 pm

I understood everything as well :)
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Fénix » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:20 pm

Haha, I have just noticed "habe gedeveloped". So Germanglish.

Still, I don't see any Slavic there. :x But Dutch is so obvious. :D
Fénix

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Croatia

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:36 pm

Fénix wrote:Haha, I have just noticed "habe gedeveloped". So Germanglish.

Still, I don't see any Slavic there. :x But Dutch is so obvious. :D

It says what the languages it is made up of (in general, not just the text) are at the top, in Swedish.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge