You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

The BF learn-a-new-language thread

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: The BF learn-a-new-language thread

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:29 pm

the Maltese expression “Ħaqq A***” is not a blasphemy. In Maltese, this expression is known as “stat kostrutt” (construct state) of the phrase “il-ħaqq ta’ Alla”. In Maltese, like in Arabic, it is used to invoke justice. For example, in Maltese we say – “ħaqqek ħlasek” – you deserve to be remunerated. It can also be used as in the phrase “ħaqqek ta’ li ġralek” or “you deserve what happened to you”. Then, there is the expression “F’ġieħ il-ħaqq” or “Respecting justice”. The latter was another expression, like “Ħaqq A***” which was used by the population to invoke justice.
Most probably, this expression goes back to Malta’s Arab period when the inhabitants of the time used to invoke the Lord’s justice and favour in their arguments.

Disclaimer.
The above is not my view..
I still consider it a blasphemy since it is used when one is angry.. before it may have been used as the person who wrote this piece said.... but nowadays and probably even since the middle ages it is and should considered as a curse
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:49 pm

Irrespective of what it meant originally, it is the intention and the understanding that matters
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:53 pm

In fact there is an Islamic song, I think a prayer song, called Haq Allah, which is of course hilarious for a Maltese listener.

A funny story: when I was quite young I of course learned that the word “Ħaqq” should not be used (it is more or less pur equivalent of “fuck”). Me being the genius child I was, I figured it would only be bad if I apply it to our God, so I decided to replace all the words typically used after it (which, a lesson in Maltese swearing for the rest of you, is pretty much any saint or holy figure you can possibly think of) with “il-Buddha”, because he was our religion’s rival, so I went around saying things which basicall translate to “Fuck the Buddha”. And you know what - it worked. Never in my life have I been told not to swear after uttering the phrase, and my mum usually takes offence even at the mildest of swear words.

It is still very common for me to use it nowadays, though a bit differently. Instead of Buddha I use the word for “Buddhists”, and more than swearing I use it as an expression of frustration. In my own personal language, it means someone incompetent, stupid, foolish, etc. “Ara vera Buddisti dat-Taljani ta!” - “These Italians are such Buddhists”, by which I mean, “God, these Italians are so stupid”. :lol: By extension I then use “Ħaqq il-Buddisti” as an expression of frustration, for example after our players miss an easy chance.

Funnily enough, a friend I met many, many years later at university once told me their dad calls people who do silly things “Buddha”. That was quite the coincidence and I’m curious about his reason behind it.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:08 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:In fact there is an Islamic song, I think a prayer song, called Haq Allah, which is of course hilarious for a Maltese listener.

A funny story: when I was quite young I of course learned that the word “Ħaqq” should not be used (it is more or less pur equivalent of “fuck”). Me being the genius child I was, I figured it would only be bad if I apply it to our God, so I decided to replace all the words typically used after it (which, a lesson in Maltese swearing for the rest of you, is pretty much any saint or holy figure you can possibly think of) with “il-Buddha”, because he was our religion’s rival, so I went around saying things which basicall translate to “Fuck the Buddha”. And you know what - it worked. Never in my life have I been told not to swear after uttering the phrase, and my mum usually takes offence even at the mildest of swear words.

It is still very common for me to use it nowadays, though a bit differently. Instead of Buddha I use the word for “Buddhists”, and more than swearing I use it as an expression of frustration. In my own personal language, it means someone incompetent, stupid, foolish, etc. “Ara vera Buddisti dat-Taljani ta!” - “These Italians are such Buddhists”, by which I mean, “God, these Italians are so stupid”. By extension I then use “Ħaqq il-Buddisti” as an expression of frustration, for example after our players miss an easy chance.

Funnily enough, a friend I met many, many years later at university once told me their dad calls people who do silly things “Buddha”. That was quite the coincidence and I’m curious about his reason behind it.
I hear it sometimes as well... but it has been a while probably now to think of it , it is more popular with grown up children.... 9 -14 year olds then after that they grow up and their swearing evolves...

The "buddha" calling I often hear it when one wants to call someone a savage....

Like ja buddha similar to ja bhima...

Haha our swear words are so colourful...
From all sexual organs and what they produce... to manure to Saints, unfortunately God , and Holy Mary....

P.s I once heard that swearing involving the Holy Spirit is unforgiven or need someone Big like the Bishop to absolve them...
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:15 pm

Haha I think I’ve heard the one you’re saying too.

You’re going into insults now too, not just swearing. My favourite is how when we use things like bodily excretions as insults, something we want to add more force to it so we specify of what animal. :lol:
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:19 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Haha I think I’ve heard the one you’re saying too.

You’re going into insults now too, not just swearing. My favourite is how when we use things like bodily excretions as insults, something we want to add more force to it so we specify of what animal.
L### tal-grieden / qtates
The worst one imo and it is the one mostly used is,the one which involves the departed... also very common in Italian...

Have you ever heard the thing about the non absolving ones?
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:25 pm

Don’t think so, now. Interested though
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:21 pm

Amazing

Lasse Olavi Ullven is a Finnish national who lives in Malta, and has a good command of the Maltese language. Lasse began learning the language by listening to the rosary on the radio.

https://www.tvm.com.mt/en/news/finnish- ... f-respect/
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:47 pm

this may also go in the frustration thread...
my colleague received a telephone call ... on the other end there was a young tal-pepe' lady... ( a Maltese who speak in broken English instead of Maltese and think that they are above the rest)
and you know what...???? she referred to the another colleague as the the '' Maltese speaking '' wtf bitch >>> :evil:
I really wished that it was me who got the call.... I would have answered her that of course he is Maltese speaking,,, he is Maltese you know,,, >@!>
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:18 pm

ramsej84 wrote:this may also go in the frustration thread...
my colleague received a telephone call ... on the other end there was a young tal-pepe' lady... ( a Maltese who speak in broken English instead of Maltese and think that they are above the rest)
and you know what...???? she referred to the another colleague as the the '' Maltese speaking '' wtf bitch >>> :evil:
I really wished that it was me who got the call.... I would have answered her that of course he is Maltese speaking,,, he is Maltese you know,,, >@!>

I really don't get this, not just from you. I mean here you go being demeaning and giving names to people who speak in one of the two official languages in Malta, and then you throw a hissy fuss because she said "Maltese speaking" out of lack of a better means to identify the person (snowflake! This coming from a person who finds no problem referring to someone as 'that black guy'). Apart from that you show suspicious customer relationship skills... whatever happened to "the customer is always right"?

I mean I did it myself once at a company, they asked me who I had spoken to and out of lack of better means to describe I used "Indian sounding". It wasn't meant to be offensive, unlike everything you wrote about this person.

And you got it the wrong way round. It's usually people who speak in Maltese who are the elitists; they are the one constantly hating on the ones who speak in English (you proved it right here in your post). The ones speaking in English are considerably more respectful towards the ones speaking in Maltese, than vice versa.

Look at for example the Facebook comments during X Factor Malta season 1... they were full of people feeling disgusted at the use of both Maltese and English, and the ones who were were all asking for it to be in Maltese. And not a single one of them wrote a post lacking embarrassing spelling mistakes in Maltese, ironically.

I didn't see anyone complaining and saying "it should all be in English, how dare they use a language no one can understand"? And that comment would make much more sense, given that there are more Maltese residents who understand English than there are ones who understand Maltese.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:30 pm

MUTU’s last point is very true. That people speak English because they think they are superior is mostly a myth.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:36 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:MUTU’s last point is very true. That people speak English because they think they are superior is mostly a myth.

Not sure if it's the last point anymore as I had edited the post
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:52 pm

I don't care that Eng is an official lang... it is so cause our colonizers decided so in order to eradicate our latin (italian) heritage...
we are not anglosaxons... we are a cross - breed of latin and semitic people ... MY LANGUAGE is Maltese
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:09 pm

Anyway, somewhat related, I just saw a video by an actress I know with the caption "Sometimes I do stuff in Luxembourgish too", and I realised I've never heard her speak anything other than English, even in the work she does back home (as the caption shows). Quite interesting considering that being from Luxembourg her country has 3 official languages, all of which she speaks, but English is not even one of them. I don't think the English phenomenon is limited to Malta or it being an official language here... though I also don't believe that the whole world will end up speaking only English as many think. English will become more and more of a lingua franca but countless people around the world still value and treasure their local languages too.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:23 pm

ramsej84 wrote:I don't care that Eng is an official lang... it is so cause our colonizers decided so in order to eradicate our latin (italian) heritage...
we are not anglosaxons... we are a cross - breed of latin and semitic people ... MY LANGUAGE is Maltese

Your language is Maltese and theirs is English. Why do you feel obliged to hate on them? Don't you see that the hate is not reciprocal but completely one-sided?
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge