You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

The BF learn-a-new-language thread

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: The BF learn-a-new-language thread

Postby Fénix » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:34 pm

I see the new thread and the poll what @Firefox created for the UCL 2020/2021.

Now I was always wondering and now I finally haven't forgotten to ask this question... How come in English language there's no word(s) like "Achtelfinale", "osmina finala" or "octavos/oitavos de final"???? Why Round of 16? :? :? :-k :-k
Fénix

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Croatia

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:43 pm

Fénix wrote:I see the new thread and the poll what @Firefox created for the UCL 2020/2021.

Now I was always wondering and now I finally haven't forgotten to ask this question... How come in English language there's no word(s) like "Achtelfinale", "osmina finala" or "octavos/oitavos de final"???? Why Round of 16? :? :? :-k :-k
Last sixteen

L-ahhar sittax

In Maltese we just translate from Eng
Semi finali
Kwarti finali
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby tuscanybayern » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:44 pm

Fénix wrote:I see the new thread and the poll what @Firefox created for the UCL 2020/2021.

Eighth-finals is actually a word in English, but for some reasons "Round of 16" is more popular in football.
tuscanybayern
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:47 pm

tuscanybayern wrote:

Eighth-finals is actually a word in English, but for some reasons "Round of 16" is more popular in football.
This.

@ramsej l-aħħar tmienja (last eight) is also common.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby nm462272 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:08 pm

or "sweet sixteen" if you're using NCAA Basketball terminology
Des interessiert mi ois ned, der Scheißdreck. Weltmeister samma! Den Pott hamma! Den scheiß goldener Schuh kannst da hinter d’Ohr’n schmiern! - Mia San Mia

Euer Hass ist unser Stolz!
nm462272
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby #12 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:52 pm

It’s pretty easy, there’s a distinct word for 50% - "half" - and one for 25% - "quarter" - both got etymologically nothing to do with their corresponding numbers... There's no such word for 12.5 per cent and I think RO16 is just a little more catchy...
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby #12 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:52 pm

nm462272 wrote:or "sweet sixteen" if you're using NCAA Basketball terminology
Pedo
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Fénix » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:39 pm

tuscanybayern wrote:

Yeah, and I'm so used to eighth finals in Croatian, German and even Spanish. Not to mention sixteenth finals, "šesnaestina finala" in Croatian. :mrgreen:

We all use term "xyz clubs in the last 16, last 8, last 32".

By the way, starting XI, not 11. Why not use Roman numbers in all cases? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Fénix

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Croatia

Postby Fénix » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:47 pm

German - Croatian

Sechszehntelfinale - šesnaestina finala
Achtelfinale - osmina finala
Viertelfinale - četvrtfinale
Halbfinale - polufinale
Fénix

National Flag:
Croatia

Postby nm462272 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:25 am

#12 wrote:
Pedo

I thought 16 was legal in germany? :lol:
Des interessiert mi ois ned, der Scheißdreck. Weltmeister samma! Den Pott hamma! Den scheiß goldener Schuh kannst da hinter d’Ohr’n schmiern! - Mia San Mia

nm462272
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby #12 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:20 am

nm462272 wrote:
#12 wrote:
Pedo

I thought 16 was legal in germany? :lol:
Depends on your definition...

Wonder why you’re so well-informed though...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby nm462272 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:21 am

At least I'm not the one talking about specific definitions :lol: :wink:

nm462272
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby #12 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:36 pm

nm462272 wrote:At least I'm not the one talking about specific definitions :lol: :wink:
Then again you’re American, where it’s okay to have your head blown off in war 3 years before being allowed to have a beer
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby nm462272 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:44 pm

#12 wrote:
nm462272 wrote:At least I'm not the one talking about specific definitions :lol: :wink:
Then again you’re American, where it’s okay to have your head blown off in war 3 years before being allowed to have a beer

Alcohol? That's for grown-ups! :wink:

nm462272
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby MUTU » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:50 pm

#12 wrote:
nm462272 wrote:At least I'm not the one talking about specific definitions :wink:

Also 3 years before being allowed to watch a girl giving head on the Internet.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge