You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

The BF learn-a-new-language thread

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: The BF learn-a-new-language thread

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:20 am

For the past couple of days I've been reading a bit about the wonderful but rare Irish language. One thing that struck me is that there seems to be a significant number of words used to describe both natural phenomena and humans. In an article explaining just 28 words, I found 4:

Aimliú: used to describe something that goes bad because of the weather: food, plants, but also humans who get sick because of exposure to the weather.
Bachram: used to describe someone noisy and energetic, but also a sudden heavy rainstorm.
Bogán: used to describe ground that is soft (evolved into English "bog"), but also a spineless person.
Maológ: used to describe a lone hill in a large flat area, but also a person who sticks out from the rest.

In English (and through its influence, in many modern languages), a lot of technology and computer terms are applied to humans. I wonder if this says something about these two different societies. Mind you, I have no idea whether such terms also exist in Irish though.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ramsej84 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:41 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:For the past couple of days I've been reading a bit about the wonderful but rare Irish language. One thing that struck me is that there seems to be a significant number of words used to describe both natural phenomena and humans. In an article explaining just 28 words, I found 4:

Aimliú: used to describe something that goes bad because of the weather: food, plants, but also humans who get sick because of exposure to the weather.
Bachram: used to describe someone noisy and energetic, but also a sudden heavy rainstorm.
Bogán: used to describe ground that is soft (evolved into English "bog"), but also a spineless person.
Maológ: used to describe a lone hill in a large flat area, but also a person who sticks out from the rest.

In English (and through its influence, in many modern languages), a lot of technology and computer terms are applied to humans. I wonder if this says something about these two different societies. Mind you, I have no idea whether such terms also exist in Irish though.

similitude ?
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:57 pm

Yes it does work that way. :) What I found interesting is that a country that is still very much rural (even its cities are small) seems to have such a large number of comparisons with nature, assuming those are not the only ones there are. And then you have English from industrialised America increasingly using discourse of computers, networks, and so on both in academic language and common language.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:45 pm

I speak my native language but I count and say the numbers in English...
99% of us Maltese do the same...

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:37 pm

ramsej84 wrote:I speak my native language but I count and say the numbers in English...

I know someone who gives out phone numbers in Maltese. :) he splits them into twos like the French. So numbers which start 99: "disgħa u disgħin..."
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:09 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:I speak my native language but I count and say the numbers in English...

I know someone who gives out phone numbers in Maltese. :) he splits them into twos like the French. So numbers which start 99: "disgħa u disgħin..."
have you ever seen a cheque written in our mother language?
Lately I have been sending some emails in Maltese. It is not easy... I mean especially the procedures

ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:33 am

Don't believe I have.

Emails are another strange one. You'd be talking to someone in Maltese all the time and just after you receive an email from them on the same topic in English. It's quite strange.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby PunkCapitalist » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:55 am

Wut? So Maltese has its own numeric system (I'm guessing it's complicated somehow like French), but people from Malta use the English pronunciation of numbers? Weird.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
PunkCapitalist
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:03 am

PunkCapitalist wrote:

Wut? So Maltese has its own numeric system (I'm guessing it's complicated somehow like French), but people from Malta use the English pronunciation of numbers? Weird.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Because the Maltese numeric system comes from the Arabic which use right-to-left. Let me literally translate a number for you so you can understand how irritating it is to use Maltese for numbers.

The number is 234567. In English you say two hundred and thirty four thousand, five hundred and sixty seven. In Maltese (literally translated) you say two hundred four and thirty thousand, five hundred seven and sixty.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:38 am

21 to 99 it is like in German as well...
Wiehed u ghoxrin
Einundzwanzig ...

The thing is that even wheb we are counting somehow we count in English ...

I guess numbers will be the first to disappear from our language, then it will be the days of the week... where again here we use the same word we use for the numbers together with an article... Eg
Monday being the second day of the week
It-Tnejn , (the second)
But hey I am noticing something here...
For Muslims it is Friday the head of the week and for us it is Sunday, so we had arranged everything to our own!
Saturday we almost use the Hebrew word (Sabbath) Is-Sibt , or it could be that since it is the seventh day of the week is-Seba' jum we say Sibt (Sebat)

ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:18 am

I believe in Arabic the days are the same, we didn't adapt anything. However, interestingly Il-Ħadd (Sunday) comes from waħad (Arabic for one) as far as I know, while in Maltese it is the word for "no one", which does have Christian connotations of no work on Sundays.

@Punk: keep in mind Malta is an entirely bilingual country. While I insist that you will constantly be appalled by the level of English if you compare to a British/American standard and the majority do not speak it as well as Maltese, you can have a conversation in it with practically anyone. This made us a code switching society. In fact, I'm of the opinion (following the opinion of one of my ex-lecturers whose research focuses on this area) that Standard Maltese is not the most common dialect in Malta even though ~90% are Maltese-speaking. The truth is we find it weird when someone goes out of their way to say phone numbers in Maltese or even just write a long paragraph using just Maltese words (whatever that means). So now we have two factions, one claiming that English words such as "shopping" should be considered Maltese words, the other saying we should never use such words. This is solved if we just accept that as a bilingual society our natural way of communication is through code switching.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MaCk0y » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:42 am

Sometimes I say numbers in Maltese to piss people off.
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:50 am

MaCk0y wrote:Sometimes I say numbers in Maltese to piss people off.

:lol:
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:53 am

ramsej84 wrote:21 to 99 it is like in German as well...
Wiehed u ghoxrin
Einundzwanzig ...

That's true, in German it's broken in the same way. I hate that you can't read a number from left to right but you have to, sometimes, skip a digit and then go back to it.

The order of pronouncing "123456" takes the order 1-3-2-4-6-5, in both German and Maltese.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCB general » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:54 am

MUTU wrote:The number is 234567. In English you say two hundred and thirty four thousand, five hundred and sixty seven. In Maltese (literally translated) you say two hundred four and thirty thousand, five hundred seven and sixty.

:o :o :o 204 30000 567(siebenundsechzig) - the bold part is the only thing I see familiar. :)

And I thought only Germans have that sort of right to left number thing, but that's light years easier than Maltese.. :lol:
Auf geht's ihr Roten!
FCB general
I live on BayernForum.com

National Flag:
Croatia

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge