You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

The Video Games Thread

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby #12 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:05 pm

aterford wrote:Yeah you do. It's a zero interest payment. Not sure if requires a hard pull but I guess it's basically a small line of credit with the understanding that you're on the hook for more than the cost of just the console over two years
I'll wait and see if they offer it in Germany... I don’t get the GP fuss, IMHO it is overpriced for the value it offers (more like a 7 bucks a month offer...), but essentially it’s probably more intriguing to me than outright paying 500 bucks and maybe needing online services anyways later on...
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby aterford » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:21 pm

#12 wrote:
aterford wrote:Yeah you do. It's a zero interest payment. Not sure if requires a hard pull but I guess it's basically a small line of credit with the understanding that you're on the hook for more than the cost of just the console over two years
I'll wait and see if they offer it in Germany... I don’t get the GP fuss, IMHO it is overpriced for the value it offers (more like a 7 bucks a month offer...), but essentially it’s probably more intriguing to me than outright paying 500 bucks and maybe needing online services anyways later on...

At first I didn't care for it a ton either, but especially if you are playing anything that needs online service.... Nowadays most games hit gamepass VERY quick, so you really don't even need to buy games, and since Live is included in that 15/mo...I know here it is normally 60 per year for Live Gold (tho you can find discounts), so closer to 10/mo if you take the price of Live out of it...

Probably the bigger sell for it though is just the storage space on the Series S - which I have to think was an intentional move. Series S just has a 512 GB hard drive, and after system files and stuff are taken into account, it will probably on be closer to 450GB of usable space. With modern AAA games nowadays pushing a 100GB install (Call of Duty Modern Warfare, for example - is pushing a total of 200GB install size), that drive is going to fill up FAST. So I suspect they are in some part pushing the Game Pass angle because in some ways it alleviates those space constraints - you can just download games from Game Pass as you please and delete/re-download as space requires. Kind of a smart play on their part, knowing you're locked in to their service for at least two years, and still decent for the consumer as 25/mo for the console and access to games is going to be easier for some than saving up the up-front cost.... I can see it either way I guess. Think it's a good business decision tho.
God Bless Thomas Müller
aterford
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby #12 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:42 pm

aterford wrote:
#12 wrote:

At first I didn't care for it a ton either, but especially if you are playing anything that needs online service.... Nowadays most games hit gamepass VERY quick, so you really don't even need to buy games, and since Live is included in that 15/mo...I know here it is normally 60 per year for Live Gold (tho you can find discounts), so closer to 10/mo if you take the price of Live out of it...

Probably the bigger sell for it though is just the storage space on the Series S - which I have to think was an intentional move. Series S just has a 512 GB hard drive, and after system files and stuff are taken into account, it will probably on be closer to 450GB of usable space. With modern AAA games nowadays pushing a 100GB install (Call of Duty Modern Warfare, for example - is pushing a total of 200GB install size), that drive is going to fill up FAST. So I suspect they are in some part pushing the Game Pass angle because in some ways it alleviates those space constraints - you can just download games from Game Pass as you please and delete/re-download as space requires. Kind of a smart play on their part, knowing you're locked in to their service for at least two years, and still decent for the consumer as 25/mo for the console and access to games is going to be easier for some than saving up the up-front cost.... I can see it either way I guess. Think it's a good business decision tho.
Yup...
Also why I always want a physical drive... With the exception of Nintendo ripping of its most faithful customers (and the fuckers are still successful with it ) retail games usually become pretty cheap about 5-10 months after release...
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:03 am

#12 wrote:Also why I always want a physical drive... With the exception of Nintendo ripping of its most faithful customers (and the fuckers are still successful with it ) retail games usually become pretty cheap about 5-10 months after release...

Yeah, me too. The second hand market isn't too good in Malta as we don't have dedicated shops but I often get them cheaper online even with shipping factored in. The €100 difference between physical and non-physical for the PS5 is really steep though to be honest for little added functionality. Most of my games are digital so I'm tempted to go for that option against my wish.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby #12 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:01 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
#12 wrote:Also why I always want a physical drive... With the exception of Nintendo ripping of its most faithful customers (and the fuckers are still successful with it ) retail games usually become pretty cheap about 5-10 months after release...

Yeah, me too. The second hand market isn't too good in Malta as we don't have dedicated shops but I often get them cheaper online even with shipping factored in. The €100 difference between physical and non-physical for the PS5 is really steep though to be honest for little added functionality. Most of my games are digital so I'm tempted to go for that option against my wish.
It is, because they know they will make it back easily... A digital copy should ALWAYS be cheaper than a retail version! They save money for packaging, shipping, production and keep you from borrowing games from friends...
They aren’t though, great prices happen mostly for physical releases...
If you compare prices, you will make the 100€ back after the 5th game you buy...

Re the Microsoft offer: they don’t offer it in Germany, wouldn’t have gone gor it anyway though I guess... Since I am already supporting a console with essentially NO EXCLUSIVES, I don’t want to support a mediocre "gaming-Netflix" on top of that, especially since it is in sale regularly for a more adequate price... Unless Microsoft start making better and more games again and/or the price is significantly reduced or the offer improved in some other way (more AAA for longer time periods) I don’t want to be a permanent subscriber...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:54 am

Anyone getting Crash 4? Getting close to release date now. I’m looking forward.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:40 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Anyone getting Crash 4? Getting close to release date now. I’m looking forward.
Seems to have turned out ok... It’s not really part 4 but I guess you know... I'll get it at some point but not for 50€
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:24 am

#12 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:Anyone getting Crash 4? Getting close to release date now. I’m looking forward.
Seems to have turned out ok... It’s not really part 4 but I guess you know... I'll get it at some point but not for 50€

Yeah price is way too high. I took the plunge because it's supposed to be much longer than previous games but it's definitely expensive.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:18 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
#12 wrote:

Yeah price is way too high. I took the plunge because it's supposed to be much longer than previous games but it's definitely expensive.
I mean there’s probably shorter games and I do want to support platformers... It’s a genre I really like, but I also don’t want to spend too much on this hobby, and I still plan on buying a next gen console this year...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:14 pm

#12 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:
#12 wrote:[quote="FCBayernMunchen"]Anyone getting Crash 4? Getting close to release date now. I’m looking forward.

I mean there’s probably shorter games and I do want to support platformers... It’s a genre I really like, but I also don’t want to spend too much on this hobby, and I still plan on buying a next gen console this year...[/quote]I haven’t been playing much and consequently haven’t bought games in ages so I’m good on the money front. Other than PS+ I doubt I’ve bought anything other than FF7 remake this year.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:30 pm

Crash is very well done. They didn’t try changing too much and that’s the most we could ask for. A good game to show platformers still have a place in 2020.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:33 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Crash is very well done. They didn’t try changing too much and that’s the most we could ask for. A good game to show platformers still have a place in 2020.
Can you say something about the length already? Does the game resemble 1-3?
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

The Video Games Thread

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:16 pm

#12 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:Crash is very well done. They didn’t try changing too much and that’s the most we could ask for. A good game to show platformers still have a place in 2020.
Can you say something about the length already? Does the game resemble 1-3?
In terms of playing style it’s very similar. I think there are 38 base levels which is slightly more than the others, but generally speaking each level is also longer than in the old ones.

Then on top of the base levels there are bonus levels you can unlock (21) which are like challenging 2D puzzles. I think I read online that there are also levels played in reverse though I haven’t unlocked that feature yet. And then of course the usual time trials and also gems for dying no more than 3 times in each level.

I’ve played it for around 5 hours and finished perhaps 10 levels and 3 bonuses, though I was taking my time trying to get every crate on the first try and usually failing. I think it’ll be a very time-consuming platinum which is great.

I only have one complaint about it so far and it’s a very preferential one: the levels simply don’t look as nice/memorable as in the first 3 games, to me, though the most recent one I played is better. I also prefer the old system where you have a number of level types and every few levels you come across a certain type. In this one you have different dimensions so the levels in each dimension look simple. It makes sense I guess, but makes it duller to me.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:49 pm

Sounds intriguing though... I'll definitely play it, but with my huge backlog I‘ll wait for a price below 30, ideally 25€...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:11 pm

Meanwhile... anyone looking into Genshin Impact?
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge