You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

The Video Games Thread

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

The Video Games Thread

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:42 am

Dumbledore7 wrote:Man I wish I could join in the fun but I don’t know the first thing about FF :oops:

So I know the game gets rave reviews but how much would it detract from the experience if this is your entry game into FF? I know that the game is probably great anyway, but I’m asking because I wouldn’t recommend anyone to play KH3 before playing some of the other games, for instance.
In my opinion this is NOT the one you want to play first. It’s a really fantastic game, honestly one of the best I’ve played, but because of what we’re mentioning here with linearity and all of it taking place in one area it does not really give the FF experience in my opinion. I’d highly recommend you start either with XV (the latest instalment) or if you’re up for a classic turn-based RPG the X/X-2 remaster. If graphics aren’t a problem for you then 7 IS a great place to start... but the original one, not this one. But we’re talking 90s block figure graphics here haha.

It’s not a problem to start with this of course, but in my opinion the experien so far is a bit different from what a FF game normally offers.

Edit: one more issue with playing the Remake if you’re not at least familiar with the story already is that they seem to have pretty much created it with the idea that people know it already in mind. There won’t be any problems with understanding or anything like that, but ai think you do gain something by knowing the story and the characters. In fact I just saw an interview where the developer was asked why the main villain appears so early in the game unlike the original, and he replied that with the original game they wanted to portray this mysterious menacing figure you don’t quite know, but it couldn’t work now because everyone knows who he is.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Dumbledore7 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:25 am

Thanks, that's very helpful. Wouldn't mind investing the time in to be honest, it's gonna be a long journery but rather have that than experiencing one title as just another game.

So I was gonna ask why you think I should start with the original 7 rather than the remake and that's an interesting point with the boss. So that aside (and graphics), I suppose the two versions can be regarded as pretty much two different games? For instance, the original Kingdom Hearts and the 1.5 ReMix are identical experiences, but Pokemon Red and Pokemon Fire Red are two completely different games.

Summarising then, would it be: 7 (original) -> X/X-2 re-master -> XV -> VII remake?
Dumbledore7
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:27 am

Not necessarily in that order. I think once you’ve played something that’s not this one, if you like it you can easily play any of the others in any order since they’re standalone titles. VII and X are my favourites, and give more of the classic vibe that made FF popular because they are turn-based and put all the focus on strategy. XV is wonderful and modern, it still gives the feeling of a FF and is probably closer to other modern RPGs.

You might want to start with VIII instead for example, with “Leon” from KH. But tbh as great as VIII is, it’s very convoluted and might put you off if you give too much attention to the story - although there’s a theory about it which if taken as valid makes it a masterpiece. I feel like VII and X offer a great combination of story, places to explore, things to do, and playing style.

VII and the remake are pretty much different games, yeah. If the Remake were finished maybe it’d be a good place to start, but not as it currently is... assuming you want to get into FF, not simply play the one game.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:25 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
#12 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:What I am curious about in relation to what you mentioned about DLC and one long game is whether they will have any continuity between episodes (weapons, items, level, materia, etc.). My suspicion is yes for two reasons:
1) the physical game ships with two discs: a data disc and a play disc. This suggests that for the future we might simply get a new data disc but keep the same play disc for the future, which carries on the data. Not sure how this would work with digital games though.
2) as far as I can see nearing the end of the game, though I may be wrong, the FF staples like ultimate weapons, Ultima materia and so on are missing. The number of summons also seems low. This suggests they are yet to come in future games.
You mean me?
I definitely think they need to get in continuity...
Play discs, however, are normal... I would just assume the game adds to your already compiled data... IIRC FFVII was not the kind of game where you could return to Midgard/previous chapters, right?
They are? It’s the first time I’ve had a PS4 game with 2 discs, though to be fair most of my games are digital. Took me by surprise.

You couldn’t return to Midgar in the original, no, but that’s about as far as limitations on your freedom to move go. You can always go back to other places you’ve been to before, though for a good part of the game not ones you haven’t been to yet. Then once you’ve got the airship you can go anywhere but Midgar, except for a story thing late in the game.

The original game even had some places you could easily never visit if you just followed the story, as well 2 missable playable characters.

Yeah, a lot of AAA games do (HZD, RDR2, UC4,...)

I think if they want to keep this kind of freedom... They HAVE to store stuff on your HD to add content and at the same time make sure you can revisit... Do a dlc-like approach would make a lot of sense...
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:44 pm

Weird, my HZD (Complete Edition) only has one disc.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:32 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Weird, my HZD (Complete Edition) only has one disc.
Which one do you have?
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:48 pm

Just confirmed, I only have one disc.

FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:38 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Just confirmed, I only have one disc.

Maybe I got it wrong, I‘ll double check
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

The Video Games Thread

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:37 pm

Finished FF7 Remake. Absolutely fantastic game, but my earlier judgment stands: it shouldn’t be judged in comparison to the original game. A bit too much Kingdom Hearts going on. Looking forward to see what they do with the rest, but without spoiling anything, it looks like this will never be the same game or even story as the ‘97 game.

Edit: to add a bit more because of the discussion with Dumbeldore the other day... NO ONE should play this without playing the original and Crisis Core or at least reading up on them or watching them streamed. It is a fantastic game, I think the whole series will be monumental to gaming like the original was, and it will still be enjoyable, but it will be too hard to understand a thing if you don’t know the original. You have to know the story to make any sense of it, it’s crucial.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MaCk0y » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:27 am

:lol: Since Death Stranding got delayed on PC, you can play this instead for free.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1214 ... Simulator/
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ramsej84 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:43 pm

U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Fénix » Fri May 15, 2020 2:12 pm

Last 2 weeks I played AC 1, AC 2 and AC Brotherhood for the first time after 8 years. Now I'm playing AC Revelations and then it remains to play AC 3. All sequels after the AC 3 I haven't played yet.
Fénix

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Croatia

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri May 15, 2020 2:41 pm

AC is a series I just haven’t ever managed to to get into. It’s surprising because it’s got all the elements I usually enjoy.

I haven’t been playing much since finishing FF7 Remake but I’m slowly working towards its Platinum trophy. Almost there, just need to speed theough a few chapters on hard mode and I’m done.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Fri May 15, 2020 5:49 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:AC is a series I just haven’t ever managed to to get into. It’s surprising because it’s got all the elements I usually enjoy.

I haven’t been playing much since finishing FF7 Remake but I’m slowly working towards its Platinum trophy. Almost there, just need to speed theough a few chapters on hard mode and I’m done.
Same here... Never even tested it...

Thinking about getting a series X though since I haven’t owned an Xbox since the first one and I think it might be fun again...

AFAIK it‘s got hardware upscaling of all games, maybe I'll gibe it a shot then...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

The Video Games Thread

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri May 15, 2020 5:54 pm

#12 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:AC is a series I just haven’t ever managed to to get into. It’s surprising because it’s got all the elements I usually enjoy.

Same here... Never even tested it...

Thinking about getting a series X though since I haven’t owned an Xbox since the first one and I think it might be fun again...

AFAIK it‘s got hardware upscaling of all games, maybe I'll gibe it a shot then...
I had borrowed AC2 way back on the PS3 but never got past the first few sections. A couple of years ago I bought a second hand copy of the Egyptian one, played it for a couple of hours and didn’t enjoy it at all so I never tried it again. Possibly I might have if I got further. I lent it to a friend more than a year ago and still haven’t asked for it back haha.

Some years ago they had given out a standalone DLC game for PS+ which I didn’t mind but wouldn’t say I enjoyed it a lot. I did almost make it to the end of that one though.

I’ve never owned an Xbox. The main problem locally is that it is not popular at all here so you’re kinda fucked for multiplayer games... not that I play any except for FIFA.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge