You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

The Video Games Thread

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby #12 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:56 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:No clue but I imagine they wouldn’t release a massive instalment in the middle of this.
So for what is at least another 5 years? I‘m betting against that
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby aterford » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:06 pm

Have been out for a bit but yes - picked up the FFVII remake and am loving it (my wife and I have had on preorder since day one - her favorite game growing up)

I do worry a bit about the span it will take to get the full thing released, but it shouldn't be so bad. There's been every indication (well, at least if you believe what Square says) that subsequent releases will be a lot more 'efficient' than the first installment. My gut says it will be either a late 2021 or early 2022 release though there are some whispers here and there that they are planning on a yearly release, which would be great.

As far as open-world or not: I think that the first installment is (or, should be) a bit of a unique case. In the original, Midgar is fairly linear too, before opening up to more open-world later on (this has been the case in a number of FF titles, or similar) and so I suspect that is the plan here too - it's also why this section has been expanded so much. So I suspect that the Midgar portion remains fairly linear as that's how it was, albeit expanded - and later releases will probably be more open-world. In the same way, the "post-Midgar" areas don't really have as much to 'expand' IMO - whereas Midgar has a ton of room to expand upon as it's already the most linear sequence - other areas don't "need" as much expansion nor is that "expandability" there as much IMO.
So it's an interesting choice, but I kind of get it. I get the sense that the dev team had to decide between doing a straight-up remake and a more expanded version, like they've chosen to do. Both are going to make some unhappy. Kind of reminds me of the new Star Wars films: on one hand, you will have people complaining that they changed too much; on the other you will have people complaining that it was too much of the same. Granted a remake is slightly different - but I do think if they'd chose to simply "modernize" the original and not really expand on much then you'd get a lot of complaints that it took AGES for what would ultimately amount to an HD remaster.

Personally (I'm about 2/3rds of the way through), I'm not feeling like it was too much of one thing. I wasn't worried about the content - length-wise, anyways - but did worry that of the reported 40 hours to get thru Midgar/Part 1 that it would be about 10 hours of story and 30 hours of side questing or time-wasting. For me that hasn't been the case. I know it's WAY longer than the original Midgar portion, but to me anyways it doesn't really feel "forced" or like they've stretched it out too far or it's just loads of filler. The additional/expanded content to me feels fresh and new and meaningful.

Overall I'm a big fan.
God Bless Thomas Müller
aterford
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby #12 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:21 pm

Given that the engine is there and fully adapted, as is the fight system... Plus the story most likely stretched out, and maybe even parallel work happening... MAYBE an accelerated release of subsequent titles is possible...
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:38 pm

Yearly release is the ideal but personally I’m not hoping for anything less than 2 years, which is good enough I guess.

About the story vs sidequest thing, I’m actually surprised by how few sidequests there are. And to be honest most of them aren’t that enjoyable. The sidequests are the only things that have felt like a chore to me.

I am much much more satisfied by the puzzle elements in some dungeons. Some of these are expanded from the original, others are completely knew. It kind of taps into the Tomb Raider vibe and I like that.

Regarding future instalments being open world, I really hope they are pure open world like the old games or at least like FFXV. I still don’t like how FFXV locks you in at times and I wish they’d just ditch chapters altogether, but that model is more than good enough. What I’m scared of is something like FFXIII which has very limited open world only in one chapter of the game. It would destroy what makes FF7, more than any other FF, great, in my opinion. As you said Midgar is expected to be linear, although I think I might be approaching a part with a little more free roaming (though the amount of areas is still very limited of course.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby #12 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:02 pm

Don’t think you would get a real open world - how so... They need to cut it off at some point for an episodic release... A cool move would be dlc like expansion... Like: Episode 2 hits and you have the full map... And further dungeons are added in subsequent installments that in the end add up to one large game...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:11 pm

#12 wrote:Don’t think you would get a real open world - how so... They need to cut it off at some point for an episodic release... A cool move would be dlc like expansion... Like: Episode 2 hits and you have the full map... And further dungeons are added in subsequent installments that in the end add up to one large game...
That’s pretty easy. All FF games limit your open world movement to a certain continent for most of the game until you start unlocking transport (in FF7’s case, the car, submarine, and Highwind). You can still explore wherever you want whenever you like on that continent. So part two could for example cover the first continent, just outside Midgar, and depending on where they stop maybe the second.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:17 pm

What I am curious about in relation to what you mentioned about DLC and one long game is whether they will have any continuity between episodes (weapons, items, level, materia, etc.). My suspicion is yes for two reasons:
1) the physical game ships with two discs: a data disc and a play disc. This suggests that for the future we might simply get a new data disc but keep the same play disc for the future, which carries on the data. Not sure how this would work with digital games though.
2) as far as I can see nearing the end of the game, though I may be wrong, the FF staples like ultimate weapons, Ultima materia and so on are missing. The number of summons also seems low. This suggests they are yet to come in future games.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby aterford » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:45 pm

#12 wrote:Given that the engine is there and fully adapted, as is the fight system... Plus the story most likely stretched out, and maybe even parallel work happening... MAYBE an accelerated release of subsequent titles is possible...

Yes for sure - and just like I was saying with the Midgar vs "open world" aspect of it. Midgar has presumably the most changes and the most 'room' for expansion, so even excluding the engine, battle system, technical aspects - even setting all that aside, I'd wager the Midgar portion would require most time for development because it's the most "new". So taking that into account and all the factors you said - it should be faster development going forward.
God Bless Thomas Müller
aterford

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby #12 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:02 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:What I am curious about in relation to what you mentioned about DLC and one long game is whether they will have any continuity between episodes (weapons, items, level, materia, etc.). My suspicion is yes for two reasons:
1) the physical game ships with two discs: a data disc and a play disc. This suggests that for the future we might simply get a new data disc but keep the same play disc for the future, which carries on the data. Not sure how this would work with digital games though.
2) as far as I can see nearing the end of the game, though I may be wrong, the FF staples like ultimate weapons, Ultima materia and so on are missing. The number of summons also seems low. This suggests they are yet to come in future games.
You mean me?
I definitely think they need to get in continuity...
Play discs, however, are normal... I would just assume the game adds to your already compiled data... IIRC FFVII was not the kind of game where you could return to Midgard/previous chapters, right?
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Dumbledore7 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:05 pm

Man I wish I could join in the fun but I don’t know the first thing about FF :oops:

So I know the game gets rave reviews but how much would it detract from the experience if this is your entry game into FF? I know that the game is probably great anyway, but I’m asking because I wouldn’t recommend anyone to play KH3 before playing some of the other games, for instance.
Dumbledore7

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby DRvad14 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:20 pm

hmm be lil kunk drunk buunk ifit itswas be be yes i have seen lot more maybe those wrere lot more moret and no i dont need a shit like " 12" to tell me . u know what iam but thought i odo dont kow thede deaths forgernmany or indidai or nyc i do try though . so why is it anyone one of u can volunteer? woul like to known . ireepescetive 9of sweden has might be 40
DRvad14
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
India

Postby #12 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:24 pm

Dumbledore7 wrote:Man I wish I could join in the fun but I don’t know the first thing about FF :oops:

So I know the game gets rave reviews but how much would it detract from the experience if this is your entry game into FF? I know that the game is probably great anyway, but I’m asking because I wouldn’t recommend anyone to play KH3 before playing some of the other games, for instance.
That’s because KH is a story nirvana fir the sake of being a story nirvana...

Just have at it with a neutral approach and you'll like it...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Dumbledore7 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:28 am

Yeah fair enough. I like having emotional attachment to characters, but I assume it's good enough standalone story. Will probably get it at some point.
Dumbledore7

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:33 am

aterford wrote:
#12 wrote:Given that the engine is there and fully adapted, as is the fight system... Plus the story most likely stretched out, and maybe even parallel work happening... MAYBE an accelerated release of subsequent titles is possible...

Yes for sure - and just like I was saying with the Midgar vs "open world" aspect of it. Midgar has presumably the most changes and the most 'room' for expansion, so even excluding the engine, battle system, technical aspects - even setting all that aside, I'd wager the Midgar portion would require most time for development because it's the most "new". So taking that into account and all the factors you said - it should be faster development going forward.
Not sure where you’re at in the game but based on what happens in Chapter 13 I think they’ve set it up for significant additions in the other parts of the game too.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:38 am

#12 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:What I am curious about in relation to what you mentioned about DLC and one long game is whether they will have any continuity between episodes (weapons, items, level, materia, etc.). My suspicion is yes for two reasons:
You mean me?
I definitely think they need to get in continuity...
Play discs, however, are normal... I would just assume the game adds to your already compiled data... IIRC FFVII was not the kind of game where you could return to Midgard/previous chapters, right?
They are? It’s the first time I’ve had a PS4 game with 2 discs, though to be fair most of my games are digital. Took me by surprise.

You couldn’t return to Midgar in the original, no, but that’s about as far as limitations on your freedom to move go. You can always go back to other places you’ve been to before, though for a good part of the game not ones you haven’t been to yet. Then once you’ve got the airship you can go anywhere but Midgar, except for a story thing late in the game.

The original game even had some places you could easily never visit if you just followed the story, as well 2 missable playable characters.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge