You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

The Video Games Thread

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby #12 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:16 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:After 5 years in development, just received and finished installing Final Fantasy VII Remake one day before release. Time to get the nostalgia going.
PART O N E of whoknowshowmany
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:02 pm

#12 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:After 5 years in development, just received and finished installing Final Fantasy VII Remake one day before release. Time to get the nostalgia going.
Haha true, and easily the least fun part in the original though with its own good parts. They’ve blown it up to a fill length game though so I’m curious about what they’ve added.

First impressions: very modern, impressive visuals and good voices. I will probably always prefer the old one over a modern RPG but I think I’ll grow to love this one too.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby #12 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:38 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
#12 wrote:
Haha true, and easily the least fun part in the original though with its own good parts. They’ve blown it up to a fill length game though so I’m curious about what they’ve added.

First impressions: very modern, impressive visuals and good voices. I will probably always prefer the old one over a modern RPG but I think I’ll grow to love this one too.
Only played the original wayy later... I get some things were great at the time, but I think it’s overblown for nostalgia reasons...
Like objectively, OoT, albeit also drawing from nostalgia, looks like a more flawless, more well-aged game today...
What I do NOT vet though, is why turn-based isn’t thing anymore... Or open world games... I like open worlds as much as the next guy - but I DO want some diversity...
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:23 pm

Ff7 needs to be seen in context. It was way ahead of its time. I think it was the first 3D RPG on the PS. Its story is probably the best video games had seen by then and still up there imo though I think there are better ones. It was also quite bold - killing off a playable character is still quite rare even today.

The nostalgia factor is big for me, as is the case with all Final Fantasies up to X, simply because I played them at a very young age, way younger than you’re supposed to be to properly get them. I didn’t finish them at that age, but I used to watch my father and brother play them as well, so I knew the stories well. That also adds to the nostalgia factor, of course. Overall I’m not so sure its nostalgia that does it for everyone else. It’s a great game and story. The best? Not really, it’s not even the best FF I think. But it is one of the finest RPGs we’ve seen, even after 23 years.

I played through the short first chapter and part of the second chapter of the remake. The feel it gives off is very different but I expect that to change further in the game and especially in later instalments once the more iconic moments come. So far it feels more like a companion to the original game than a remake/upgrade. I really like how they’re drawing on scenes that have become all too familiar since 1997. The idea that AVALANCHE were eco-terrorists was always there in the original game but it was not quite given importance. From what I’ve seen so far, that fact and its consequences are much more played up here, and of course that resonates so much more with a 21st century audience than it did in 1997.

As for turn-based: I agree completely. So many wonderful turn-based games back then, not just Final Fantasy but other classic favourites: Wild Arms, Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Legaia to name a few. Recently I was playing (at a very slow pace and far from done) World of Final Fantasy which, while not part of the main series and aimed more at a younger audience, is the only high profile modern turn-based RPG I know of. Its battle system is quite innovative too.

Incidentally, the battle system/controls of the remake remind me a bit of another childhood favourite, Granstream Saga.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:49 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Ff7 needs to be seen in context. It was way ahead of its time. I think it was the first 3D RPG on the PS. Its story is probably the best video games had seen by then and still up there imo though I think there are better ones. It was also quite bold - killing off a playable character is still quite rare even today.

The nostalgia factor is big for me, as is the case with all Final Fantasies up to X, simply because I played them at a very young age, way younger than you’re supposed to be to properly get them. I didn’t finish them at that age, but I used to watch my father and brother play them as well, so I knew the stories well. That also adds to the nostalgia factor, of course. Overall I’m not so sure its nostalgia that does it for everyone else. It’s a great game and story. The best? Not really, it’s not even the best FF I think. But it is one of the finest RPGs we’ve seen, even after 23 years.

I played through the short first chapter and part of the second chapter of the remake. The feel it gives off is very different but I expect that to change further in the game and especially in later instalments once the more iconic moments come. So far it feels more like a companion to the original game than a remake/upgrade. I really like how they’re drawing on scenes that have become all too familiar since 1997. The idea that AVALANCHE were eco-terrorists was always there in the original game but it was not quite given importance. From what I’ve seen so far, that fact and its consequences are much more played up here, and of course that resonates so much more with a 21st century audience than it did in 1997.

As for turn-based: I agree completely. So many wonderful turn-based games back then, not just Final Fantasy but other classic favourites: Wild Arms, Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Legaia to name a few. Recently I was playing (at a very slow pace and far from done) World of Final Fantasy which, while not part of the main series and aimed more at a younger audience, is the only high profile modern turn-based RPG I know of. Its battle system is quite innovative too.

Incidentally, the battle system/controls of the remake remind me a bit of another childhood favourite, Granstream Saga.

Isn’t WoFF a MMORPG?

Yeah, I get what you mean...

Btw... Started FF9 on PS4 - is it worth it?
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

The Video Games Thread

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:20 pm

WoFF is a normal RPG, but not much of a story. It’s fun as it brings in characters from all the games, nice to play for its battle system, but not a great game really - that’s why it’s taking me so long to go through it in fact. The MMORPG is 14 (and 11).

FF9 is my least favourite out of VII - X but it is an unpopular opinion, and it doesn’t say much anyway because it’s still great. There are many who consider IX the best of all of them. It’s a fun game with some of the best characters in FF9. I have it on PS4 too but haven’t yet started it. I suspect I might like it more these days.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

The Video Games Thread

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:26 pm

Some more thoughts on FF7 remake:

Taken alone, it’s a fantastic game. Great story, decent and modern battle system, increases proportionally in difficulty. I am enjoying it very much. I think even without its legacy it’d be one of the best RPGs on PS4.

Taken as a remake, however, I am not too convinced it was a good idea to expand the game so much. As fun as the story is, it becomes very disorienting when approached with the original game and story in mind. A lot’s been added from scene to scene, so for example you’re in a recognisable scene from the original, then you’d spend 2 hours doing stuff that’s new and suddenly you end up in another recognisable scene. It’s like the links from one part to another have changed completely and that gives you a very different story and it’s very hard to keep track. It doesn’t help that the places look SO different. Honestly, I’ve only recognised maybe 3 places so far. A bunch of the time I’m approaching it as a new game and getting used to the map without actually having any idea or being able to recall what the corresponding place in the original is.

The fact that it’s entirely in Midgar is also unconvincing. It’s a bit tiring having the same kind of scenery all the time, and like the original in that place, it is very linear with very limited (if any) freedom to explore. I hope future installments with the world map aren’t like this. They should follow the FFXV model, or even better, do away with chapters completely. At this point I’m craving any of the other places in the game, but of course that won’t happen.

Then there’s the characters issue. Much of the first third or so of the game has a major focus on the Avalanche members, who are minor characters in the original and one of them dies very early in the game (I’m about halfway through based on chapters and still no deaths here). They have been promoted almost to main character level, just not playable (though they do help you out)... I can kind of see why, but that’s another problem with the game: I’ve met Barret, Tifa, Aerith... and? I should meet Red XIII before the end of the game, but no one else. Cait Sith, Vincent, Yuffie, and Cid all come in after Midgar.

An easy 8.5/10 or more as a game. A bit disappointing as a remake with a legacy to follow.

If anyone else played it, I’m curious to know what you think. I think aterford was a FF fan?
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:56 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Some more thoughts on FF7 remake:

Taken alone, it’s a fantastic game. Great story, decent and modern battle system, increases proportionally in difficulty. I am enjoying it very much. I think even without its legacy it’d be one of the best RPGs on PS4.

Taken as a remake, however, I am not too convinced it was a good idea to expand the game so much. As fun as the story is, it becomes very disorienting when approached with the original game and story in mind. A lot’s been added from scene to scene, so for example you’re in a recognisable scene from the original, then you’d spend 2 hours doing stuff that’s new and suddenly you end up in another recognisable scene. It’s like the links from one part to another have changed completely and that gives you a very different story and it’s very hard to keep track. It doesn’t help that the places look SO different. Honestly, I’ve only recognised maybe 3 places so far. A bunch of the time I’m approaching it as a new game and getting used to the map without actually having any idea or being able to recall what the corresponding place in the original is.

The fact that it’s entirely in Midgar is also unconvincing. It’s a bit tiring having the same kind of scenery all the time, and like the original in that place, it is very linear with very limited (if any) freedom to explore. I hope future installments with the world map aren’t like this. They should follow the FFXV model, or even better, do away with chapters completely. At this point I’m craving any of the other places in the game, but of course that won’t happen.

Then there’s the characters issue. Much of the first third or so of the game has a major focus on the Avalanche members, who are minor characters in the original and one of them dies very early in the game (I’m about halfway through based on chapters and still no deaths here). They have been promoted almost to main character level, just not playable (though they do help you out)... I can kind of see why, but that’s another problem with the game: I’ve met Barret, Tifa, Aerith... and? I should meet Red XIII before the end of the game, but no one else. Cait Sith, Vincent, Yuffie, and Cid all come in after Midgar.

An easy 8.5/10 or more as a game. A bit disappointing as a remake with a legacy to follow.

If anyone else played it, I’m curious to know what you think. I think aterford was a FF fan?
You should only judge it as a remake once all 235 parts have been published...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:35 pm

Haha, that’s true - and I expect the rest of the parts will be much better.

My guess is 2 more games btw, and maybe even 1 is doable. I think the rest of the story doesn’t need as much expansion as this part, but inevitably they will need to tie in with everything else that’s been introduced.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm

It'll be 4 at least, mark my words
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:30 pm

That would probably be too much expansion for its own good.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:40 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:That would probably be too much expansion for its own good.
Thing is, they announced it as episodic...

If it were two, they would‘ve just announced it to be a two-part adventure...

Has to be at least three... Knowing SE, they want to milk it, which would mean four...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:28 pm

I think 3 is just right. Two is doable if they change little from the rest of the game, but that’s probably not the best thing now that they’ve added so much backstory.

4 also takes it to way too long a timeframe. They’d be better off starting work on 16.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:15 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:I think 3 is just right. Two is doable if they change little from the rest of the game, but that’s probably not the best thing now that they’ve added so much backstory.

4 also takes it to way too long a timeframe. They’d be better off starting work on 16.
Isn’t it done by different teams anyway?
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:49 pm

No clue but I imagine they wouldn’t release a massive instalment in the middle of this.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge