You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

The Video Games Thread

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby #12 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:50 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:How necessary are the previous installments? I’ve played 1 and 2, and Chain of Memories, but my memory is a bit fuzzy.

The KH universe is a bit complicated with so many different games on different platforms and a non-chronological timeline, and with so much time between my playthroughs I always kind of resigned myself to not fully understanding. Is it still enjoyable?

Also EXTREMELY complicated and intertwined... I can't follow all the story arches and the connection... I've played the spinoffs but honestly never liked em much... The main parts are the good games and I think you can enjoy it without having played everything - yourube sumup might help, but I think it’s a gameplay and lore driven game...

@Dumbledore: yeah, IIRC KH2 was more "strategic"...
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby #12 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:26 am

Just play it FCBM, the story makes no sense anyways
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:34 am

@Dumbledore: I think I did watch 358/2 days. I have some vague memory of it.

I own 1.5 and 2.5 on the PS3. I played the two main games and Chain of Memories, and I think watched both the movie games (though I have no recollection of the second one). I didn’t play the third game in 2.5

I’m not sure but I think I also own 2.8 on the PS4. No clue what that is tbh. If I do own it I never played it.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Dumbledore7 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:26 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:@Dumbledore: I think I did watch 358/2 days. I have some vague memory of it.

I own 1.5 and 2.5 on the PS3. I played the two main games and Chain of Memories, and I think watched both the movie games (though I have no recollection of the second one). I didn’t play the third game in 2.5

I’m not sure but I think I also own 2.8 on the PS4. No clue what that is tbh. If I do own it I never played it.

The game you didn't play, Birth By Sleep, is a prequel to the main storyline revolving 3 new main characters set 10 years before KH1. The story is closely tied to the main story, and it's a great game with compelling character stories. You can have three different playthrough for each character, all basically the same story but from different perspectives. One playthrough is 12-15 hours, so not too long if you'd like to spend the time to connect some story threads.

Dream Drop Distance, the first game in 2.8, is a direct sequel of KH2 and prequel to KH3. It does contain key plot points (as with most of the franchise...), but is a relative filler. The second game in 2.8 is a direct sequel to Birth By Sleep, pretty much connecting it with KH1. It's only a 3-hour game that pretty much serves as a taster for the mechanics of KH3.

You could also just ignore my advice, because...
#12 wrote:Just play it FCBM, the story makes no sense anyways
Dumbledore7
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby #12 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:55 am

Not sure whether Dumble agrees or is mocking me again

There’s so many open ends though and plotholes regarding not only the main storyline but some smaller aspects, with TWO cliffhangers already at the end of the game... No idea why they do it, but I think these games would develop an even higher draw if they were less complicated and more compelling...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Dumbledore7 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:19 am

I was agreeing...

It's true, I don't know if there are any other RPG series with basically one very intertwined storyline that spans across that many games (if there are, shout because I'll be interested :P). It's what makes it special, but I recognise that it puts many people off it. The remasters that put all of the games in one or two bundles are great, but even these conservatively take 100+ hours to complete altogether.
Dumbledore7

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby Dumbledore7 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:29 am

Also, there's even a mobile game, which is a prequel to the prequel and took place a decades before the main series, which is also a direct sequel to a discontinued Japanese online PC game from 2013 with basically the same storyline but kinda not, and this set of stories is very likely to be closely linked to the future installments ](*,) ](*,) ](*,). I'm still figuring this one out myself.
Dumbledore7

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:31 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm hoping to get back into regular gaming next year (barely played anything in 2019) so I think I'll put Dream Drop Distance as one of the games for early 2020... after World of Final Fantasy and maybe Ni No Kuni II, while also playing a bit of FIFA every now and then to get my money's worth.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:52 pm

Dumbledore7 wrote:I was agreeing...

It's true, I don't know if there are any other RPG series with basically one very intertwined storyline that spans across that many games (if there are, shout because I'll be interested :P). It's what makes it special, but I recognise that it puts many people off it. The remasters that put all of the games in one or two bundles are great, but even these conservatively take 100+ hours to complete altogether.

Well, I think it’s also special because of the mash up if the two worlds, the storytelling within worlds and the gameplay aspect...
The - what basically is a - free pass with time travel, the extreme plot holes at some points when you don't know where someone or something comes from... And it just feels like it was done on purpose - and only partly, cause it wasn’t planned like that from the very start... Kinda like the current Star Wars Trilogy: "adding content as we go"...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:28 pm

I’m not very far in but World of Final Fantasy is an interesting one... very different from the main series and in many ways reminds me more of Kingdom Hearts especially in its aesthetic, constant lame jokes () and its attempt to appeal to children as well. 3 hours I feel it tries to guide you way too much, with annoying pop up help info every couple of monitors. Hopefully this stops soon because it’s very annoying. The story and mythology is also very simple so far, not really worthy of the Final Fantasy name.

It’s a fun little game though and the battle system is a masterpiece. I love that they brought back the turn-based battle system to a modern RPG because it is much more strategic, and the system really is unlike anything I’ve seen before and involves planning and strategy before the battle and before entering the dungeon as well as in battle. Basically you capture enemies you encounter, and then create stacks of 3 (your character + 2 enemies) to combine stats and abilities. What you can stack depends on size (S+M+L) and you can change your own characters’ size between M and L depending on the setup uou need. Quite well done although so far the game is too easy to require much thought in this regard, but that is normal early on in every FF game.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:56 pm

30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:51 pm

Bayern lost the first match 4-1 and the second match 2-1.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:02 pm

MUTU wrote:Bayern lost the first match 4-1 and the second match 2-1.
Huh I thought they won 0-2?!
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby MUTU » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:03 pm

#12 wrote:
MUTU wrote:Bayern lost the first match 4-1 and the second match 2-1.
Huh I thought they won 0-2?!

No.

Can't see tweet? Click here!
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:13 pm

After 5 years in development, just received and finished installing Final Fantasy VII Remake one day before release. Time to get the nostalgia going.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge