You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

General Chat Thread

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby #12 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:07 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:I find myself mostly agreeing with Dumbledore's position (having only followed the posts in this thread, no idea where this started), but not sure about the poor people, assuming I'm understanding correctly. Aren't they the most likely to be able to afford fruit and veg more than things like meat and cheese?

Yes... But vegan diet requires you to spread out on your intake to get all mandatory nutrients... That makes it expensive... At least that’s my understanding...
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Dumbledore7 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:49 pm

#12 wrote:Well, so there’s no point in trying to save carbon dioxide? Progression will come, right? Climate change is not an issue anymore! YAY!

What are you really saying? All the developing technological advances I listed out are 1) "saving" carbon dioxide (I'll excuse you for the phrasing) 2) being driven by climate change and designed exactly to tackle climate change and 3) symbolic of progression. Am I going to need to explain what carbon capture, farm biomes and renewable energy mean, so you understand how futile they make veganism?

#12 wrote:But even small drops can fill a bucket can’t they?

Realistically it really doesn't. If the drops are so small and the water evaporates faster than it drops, it won't ever fill. If only 0.1% of the population can ever afford it, it'll never have any long term impact. It'll just be a waste of water.
Dumbledore7
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Indonesia
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby #12 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:56 pm

Sorry, was rushing... Abysmal phrasing

I was actually going with cars and/or electricity in my argument, but you’re right about the rest...

I can understand your argument though I do not know whether or not it’s true...
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:27 pm

#12 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:I find myself mostly agreeing with Dumbledore's position (having only followed the posts in this thread, no idea where this started), but not sure about the poor people, assuming I'm understanding correctly. Aren't they the most likely to be able to afford fruit and veg more than things like meat and cheese?

Yes... But vegan diet requires you to spread out on your intake to get all mandatory nutrients... That makes it expensive... At least that’s my understanding...

I see... makes sense.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Zigehh » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:39 pm

#12 wrote:Yes... But vegan diet requires you to spread out on your intake to get all mandatory nutrients... That makes it expensive... At least that’s my understanding...

It's a well known myth that being vegan is expensive but from my personal experience it's really not. Of course you can build up your monthly food expenses by buying top-shelf plant based food every day, but you can do that with any kind of food. If you eat normally you won't notice the difference at the end of the month money wise...
Zigehh
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Slovenia

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:37 pm

U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:22 pm

Hmmm firstly I almost managed to understand without subtitles...
Secondly I learned something tonight
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:23 pm

Listening to quite an interesting podcast about video/replay referees (using basketball as a case study) and the wider implications it has on fairness and society/life. I listen on apps but if anyone's interested here's a web link I found: https://atrpodcast.com/ep/s1!c5106
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby IsiahRashad » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:25 am

So, the Balkans are not the most corrupted side of the World at the end of the day. :D :D
Salihamidžić: “Correct. Dayot Upamecano will play for FC Bayern for the next five years."
IsiahRashad
Moderator & 2019/20 Prediction Game Winner

National Flag:
Bulgaria

Postby ramsej84 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:02 pm

ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:21 am

ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby YlonenXabi » Sun May 05, 2019 3:53 pm

I like English language but there are some things that I just can't get over

My main frustration are phonetics and pronunciation.

There are all kind of rules ir order to know how pronounce a word. However most of the times you need to actually know and have heard it before, otherwise you would be just taking a guess

One example of this is bass, the musical instrument

When I was younger I used to say it like that, so it'd rhyme with ass

But for whatever reason it is not correct an it's more like base. Why ?

But it gets worse cause you have the fish which is also called bass, but in this case it actually rhymes with ass

:twisted:

Yesterday I was reading a document to someone and there was this word -> vase

So I read it like base just changing the B for V. But no ! it kind of rhymes with ass too!

:evil:

Why are the rules of pronunciation so difficult and contradictory? :?: :!:
- Hansi Legend Flick -
YlonenXabi

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain

Postby ramsej84 » Sun May 05, 2019 4:03 pm

Vase as the one that holds flowers ?
I believe you said it write.... could it be that you are in a region with a particular dialect?

Vase is pronounced softly vase like ace

Edit. I was mistaken .....

There are two versions yours and mine is the American one
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun May 05, 2019 5:35 pm

Your version is also by far the most common in Malta, ramsej. I use both, tbh.

Today we tend to talk about the problem of English words entering almost every language in the world, but in fact English is probably one of the biggest melting pots in language there is. It's taking words from so many different languages which we now think of as "English" and in most cases kept the spelling (or a very similar one), so that's created some inconsistency. Also English used to sound incredibly different. For example it had very few silent letters. Around the 1600s and later English pronunciation (especially the vowels) changed massively, the reasons for this are disputed, but the spellings have remained largely the same, so now we have the situation YlonenXabi mentioned. It really is a case of you just have to know what it sounds like, many times.

I'm not sure you were actually looking for an answer or just a rhetorical question out of frustration but this is more or less why. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Read this out loud. :P https://www.hep.wisc.edu/~jnb/charivarius.html
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Sun May 05, 2019 5:38 pm

It’s not really a matter of English though... It happens in all the languages... Seriously...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge