You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

General Chat Thread

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:46 pm

#12 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:Made a Revolut account today and ordered a standard card. Does anyone here use it? I'm still hesitant about it, not sure why tbh, in fact I'm a bit late to the party to try it out compared to how early I usually adopt things. I don't plan on topping it up by more than small amounts to use when travelling, would rather stick to more traditional means in most cases.

Is it free and does it work fee-free in international atms? ;)

The standard card is a one time fee of €5.99 but you can get it for free through a referral as I did. You can exchange currencies at non-inflated rates at any time in-app and can withdraw from ATMs (locally or internationally) fee-free up to €200 per month for the free option (more for the Premium options), fees apply beyond that. However as far as I can tell there is no cap on purchases made by the card, which also do not have charges and do not use inflated exchange rates, which makes it useful for more than just 200.

I've heard great things about it from so many people and it seems to be taking Europe by storm so decided to give it a shot. Not planning on having more than a couple of hundred in it at any time and will probably only use it during travelling. I know people who use it as their primary bank and get their salaries paid in it etc. which in my opinion is a bit crazy and I wouldn't feel safe doing it. But I think it looks like a nice moneysaver for travelling.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby #12 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:00 pm

Well yeah, but sadly I need more than 200 a month when traveling... :-/
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:28 pm

#12 wrote:Well yeah, but sadly I need more than 200 a month when traveling... :-/

Yeah... at least you can use it to avoid exchange rate fees when paying by card though and then exchange normally. That's what I'm planning to do.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:48 pm

Jeez

https://www.tvm.com.mt/en/news/watch-ma ... gelendzik/

A jet ski explosion left a man and his son badly injured
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:13 pm

https://www.timesofmalta.com/mobile/art ... ium=widget

The Festival of beards and beard barbers
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:38 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
#12 wrote:Well yeah, but sadly I need more than 200 a month when traveling... :-/

Yeah... at least you can use it to avoid exchange rate fees when paying by card though and then exchange normally. That's what I'm planning to do.

Didn’t quite get that... Means they exchange on the daily share price just without any commission?
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:09 pm

#12 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:

Didn’t quite get that... Means they exchange on the daily share price just without any commission?

They use the interbank rate which banks use among themselves. Actual bank exchange rates are obviously inflated so they make profit, which means when paying by card in a country with a foreign currency the conversion isn't in your favour. In this case you get the actual rate.

As an example, comparing the interbank rate of EUR-to-GBP right now with the one offered here locally, I would save 2.6p on every €1 spent (or withdrawn from an ATM). The process seems to be as simple a transferring euros to my account and exchanging them to GBP in my app, although I haven't done it yet.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Dumbledore7 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:36 pm

I have Revolut and only use it for travelling because you really do get the best exchange rates, but I also have Monzo, which is virtually the same type of bank. I use Monzo for my daily spending, preferring it to Revolut simply because of a better app.

It's been absolutely crucial for managing my personal finances - I still use a traditional bank to get salary paid in and build up savings because of interests, but having Monzo has really improved my budgeting. It helps to restrict your spending psychologically because it's easy to keep track. Much recommended for young adults.
Dumbledore7
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:29 pm

Yes, I read about Monzo too while looking for alternatives after everyone hyped up Revolut, but it's not available to non-UK residents.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:49 am

Have my most dreaded exam to date tomorrow: defending my Master's thesis. Reason is I absolutely hate oral exams and this is meant to be about 90 minutes - 2 hours of that apparently. :(

The funny thing is I tend to be quite a good presenter and confident speaker, so probably it will be OK. But they make me VERY nervous before, so today is even worse than tomorrow. I seem to know my stuff, but feel that I've already answered most queries in the text itself so not sure what they could possibly come up with for two hours. Other than that, there's the fact that they're a bunch of old-fashioned guys who might disagree with many of the crucial definitions of my work (which is as current as it gets), so I'm afraid what I know to be a very good piece of work (and my supervisor believes so too) won't get the recognition it deserves because of their mentality.

Wish me luck. :P
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:51 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Have my most dreaded exam to date tomorrow: defending my Master's thesis. Reason is I absolutely hate oral exams and this is meant to be about 90 minutes - 2 hours of that apparently. :(

The funny thing is I tend to be quite a good presenter and confident speaker, so probably it will be OK. But they make me VERY nervous before, so today is even worse than tomorrow. I seem to know my stuff, but feel that I've already answered most queries in the text itself so not sure what they could possibly come up with for two hours. Other than that, there's the fact that they're a bunch of old-fashioned guys who might disagree with many of the crucial definitions of my work (which is as current as it gets), so I'm afraid what I know to be a very good piece of work (and my supervisor believes so too) won't get the recognition it deserves because of their mentality.

Wish me luck. :P
I'll pray for you
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:45 pm

Please dedicate a portion of the prayers to a lower temperature because I have to suit up :lol: at least there's an AC in the room
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:52 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Please dedicate a portion of the prayers to a lower temperature because I have to suit up at least there's an AC in the room
40d Celsius forecasted for tomorrow
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:26 pm

Well if you’re suiting up - it’s gonna be legendary! ;)

Break a leg!
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:17 pm

#12 wrote:Well if you’re suiting up - it’s gonna be legendary! ;)

Break a leg!

Thanks mate. We'll see... Feeling more confident now after speaking to my supervisor. Apparently I shouldn't be surprised if they spend most of the time talking or telling random anecdotes or fighting among themselves. :lol:
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge