You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

General Chat Thread

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:57 pm

392-year-old shark could hold the secret to longevity
This is the longest living vertebrate on the planet [source]
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby IsiahRashad » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:14 pm

Wait..Where is Lewa ? #-o #-o #-o
Can't see tweet? Click here!
Salihamidžić: “Correct. Dayot Upamecano will play for FC Bayern for the next five years."
IsiahRashad
Moderator & 2019/20 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Bulgaria

Postby Hardrade » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:11 pm

Yet the price tag on Lukaku is around 100 mil. Madness and stupidity.
Hardrade
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Serbia and Montenegro

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:50 pm

Sex robot revolution could encourage rape and paedophilia, professor warns [source]

more tools to finish off humanity............ :evil:
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:43 pm

OK I'm going to ask you guys for some serious advice.

I have recently started an unpaid traineeship with a translation agency in Malta for 2 months. I work freelance from home, but the agreement is a workload of around 4 hours a day which consists of editing translations. In this early period, the more days have passed, the more this workload is being exceeded; not by much, but the assigned work is clearly more than this amount.

Additionally, tonight I have been assigned a translation for over the weekend. It makes me happy because it's what I prefer doing, but I calculate it should cost around €200 as an asking rate for someone with very little experience (more if I were experienced). Of this, I will get literally 0 cents. It definitely feels like exploitation.

I'm not sure whether to stick around or call it quits before I sink deeper into this shithole. I've been promised regular freelance work by the agency as soon as the two months are over, which is good. At the same time, I don't fully trust them because they promised traineeships to a number of people I know (good ones too) and only I have actually been given it. I'm thinking I should give them another week or so and see whether I receive any feedback (especially on the translation). If not, I think I'll tell them to either pay up or stop sending work. I don't need practice without feedback; I have a postgraduate diploma in translation (to become a fully-fledged Master's degree in a few months) and am consistently top of my class in theory and practice by a significant margin, so I really don't need to translate for the sake of it.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby nm462272 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:58 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:OK I'm going to ask you guys for some serious advice.

I have recently started an unpaid traineeship with a translation agency in Malta for 2 months. I work freelance from home, but the agreement is a workload of around 4 hours a day which consists of editing translations. In this early period, the more days have passed, the more this workload is being exceeded; not by much, but the assigned work is clearly more than this amount.

Additionally, tonight I have been assigned a translation for over the weekend. It makes me happy because it's what I prefer doing, but I calculate it should cost around €200 as an asking rate for someone with very little experience (more if I were experienced). Of this, I will get literally 0 cents. It definitely feels like exploitation.

I'm not sure whether to stick around or call it quits before I sink deeper into this shithole. I've been promised regular freelance work by the agency as soon as the two months are over, which is good. At the same time, I don't fully trust them because they promised traineeships to a number of people I know (good ones too) and only I have actually been given it. I'm thinking I should give them another week or so and see whether I receive any feedback (especially on the translation). If not, I think I'll tell them to either pay up or stop sending work. I don't need practice without feedback; I have a postgraduate diploma in translation (to become a fully-fledged Master's degree in a few months) and am consistently top of my class in theory and practice by a significant margin, so I really don't need to translate for the sake of it.

If nothing else, it will be a helpful reference and will look good on your resume... plus it's only two months
Des interessiert mi ois ned, der Scheißdreck. Weltmeister samma! Den Pott hamma! Den scheiß goldener Schuh kannst da hinter d’Ohr’n schmiern! - Mia San Mia

Euer Hass ist unser Stolz!
nm462272
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:24 pm

That's what I thought as well, but I could get paid well for the same work.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:29 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:OK I'm going to ask you guys for some serious advice.

IMO you should just show them your middle finger !
never trust Maltese employers, never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:02 pm

I am this far from doing what you're suggesting ;)
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Dumbledore7 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:15 am

Would it be a bad idea to ask them what the hell's up before you call it quits?
Dumbledore7
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:18 pm

Dumbledore7 wrote:Would it be a bad idea to ask them what the hell's up before you call it quits?

I'm stalling towards that end right now. I'm enjoying the work for this weekend but if they assign more I'll stand my ground, complain, and demand an explanation. If they don't I'll give them till about today week for feedback; without it the whole thing is useless and I could get paid for the work I do for them.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Dumbledore7 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:58 pm

Sounds like a good plan already. Also, I don't understand your industry very well, but definitely consider what a good impression on this agency would mean for your pedigree (in engineering, for example, an internship can make you significantly more marketable to other employers because even the best universities in the world can't give you the experience of dealing with problems in an actual plant). Kinda like what nm462272 said and I'm sure you've thought about it too, an internship/traineeship, no matter how shitty, nearly always leads to at least an invaluable addition to your professional network. In addition, would the work they offer after the two months be significantly better than what you can find now?

In cases like this I normally tend to tell my friends to stick with it no matter what. Never know when your translation work will get noticed by someone and a huge opportunity presents itself to you. I've seen it a lot.
Dumbledore7

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:16 pm

Thanks - that's encouraging. More than anything I wanted the traineeship for proper professional feedback and guidance; as you said, universities can only take you so far. That's why it concerns me if I don't get that. The job - if they keep their word - would be good. It is easily the busiest agency in Malta. I'd be working as a freelancer but I should get loads of work from them since they're so busy.

The positive about it is that even if they piss me off when I start getting work, I would hopefully be good enough to relocate to Luxembourg when vacancies with the EU institutions reopen. That's definitely the best paid job you could do as a translator, and I'm not talking about just European-based jobs.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Dumbledore7 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:38 pm

Ah good. If that's the case that it's the biggest agency in Malta, I would see very little reason to quit, hell maybe it's worth it to just suck up the 2 months of slaving even if you don't get the job. However, I agree that if there's no feedback and you see the manner in which you will leave being a "kthanksbye", then that's the line where it wouldn't be worth it.
Dumbledore7

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:40 pm

To think of it Dumble is spot on....

@fcbm ...

from which to which languages do you translate? Maltese to English and vice versa ?
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge