You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Postby Lukas » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:07 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
Lukas wrote:And the Brazilian one I think. But yeah I mean yet another one

I think I read something about yet another UK variant having been identified

Yeah they have but it doesn’t have the key vaccine defeating mutation
Lukas
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
European Union

Postby #12 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:19 pm

ramsej84 wrote:
#12 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:It’s a teaser but not because of biological warfare but because of climate change.
Less that than depletion and ruthless exploitation (who contribute to climate change as well...) as well as the ability to traverse the world within hours...

And no, ramsej, it’s not bullying, it’s calling you out on nonsense... What will you say once vaccination efforts kick in, that it was prayers who MADE scientists develop vaccines?

Everyone is free to worship whichever idol the desire, of course... But don’t forget religion is the source and cause of many problems in the world, not their solution!
If you are talking for the current times I think you are a bit generalizing... enough said.
History unfolds slowly... Many of today‘s problems stem from yesterday’s...
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby #12 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:21 pm

Lukas wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:

AFAIK this is only true for AZ anyways, right? Pfizer/Moderna are (slightly less) effective against variants as well, right?
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby DRvad14 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:38 pm

^
Several natural variants have been identified, including the B.1.1.7 variant first identified in the UK, the B.1.351 variant first identified in South Africa, and the P.1 variant first identified in Brazil. The B.1.1.7 variant is currently thought to be about 50% more transmissible than the original SARS-CoV-2 strain, and possibly more deadly. However, there is no indication that B.1.1.7 reduces the effectiveness of Moderna or Pfizer COVID-19 vaccines. This is supported by the fact that the B.1.1.7 variant is neutralized by the sera of Pfizer and Moderna vaccine recipients. Still, there is some laboratory evidence of reduced neutralization of the B.1.1.7 variant by convalescent plasma of COVID-19 patients. Novavax reported that its vaccine had 85% efficacy with the variant versus 89% with the non-variant strain, and AstraZeneca/Oxford reported that their vaccine 74% efficacy with the variant versus 84% with the non-variant strain.

The B.1.351 variant is potentially more troubling. Clinical trials for the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines indicate a reduction in sera neutralization of the B.1.351 variant, and other studies have shown there could be a six-fold to 10-fold lower binding affinity for antibodies to the variant. Additionally, Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine had 57% efficacy in South Africa, where the variant is prevalent, versus 72% in the US, and Novavax’s vaccine had 49% efficacy in South Africa versus 90% in the UK. However, World Health Organization director Kate O’Brien indicated that these results may have some uncertainty as they were based on a low number of cases in South Africa. The B.1.351 variant may have a higher chance of reinfecting people who were infected by earlier strains of the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

The P.1 variant has some of the same mutations as the B.1.351 variant and could have a higher chance of reinfecting people. More research needs to be conducted on this variant to monitor its effects.

Pfizer and Moderna are already working on developing booster shots for their vaccines to improve their effectiveness against the B.1.351 strain. As there is already some indication of COVID-19 reinfections and possible waning immunity from naturally recovered COVID-19 patients, yearly boosters may be required for COVID-19. However, it is important to note that despite the presence of these variants in the population, the vaccines are still likely to prevent severe outcomes such as hospitalization and death.
DRvad14
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby #12 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:44 pm

Is it possible to get two different vaccines with enough time in between?
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby ramsej84 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:54 pm

#12 wrote:Is it possible to get two different vaccines with enough time in between?
Apparently yes... but it is not yet confirmed.

By the way the Johnson one is a single jab which will fasten the process...
However afik it is nit as effective
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby DRvad14 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:58 pm

oxford are studying about mix and match different vaccines we should know in summer in all probabilities, we all would need a booster dose(S)(hopefully we can choose if the mix and match studies are positive )
DRvad14
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:59 pm

ramsej84 wrote:
#12 wrote:Is it possible to get two different vaccines with enough time in between?
Apparently yes... but it is not yet confirmed.

By the way the Johnson one is a single jab which will fasten the process...
However afik it is nit as effective
It has similar numbers as the others did with one shot. I think there are trials testing 2 shots, but I’m not sure.

It is, however, more effective against variants than the others, if the information I read a few weeks ago is still valid.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Lukas » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:55 pm

#12 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:

AFAIK this is only true for AZ anyways, right? Pfizer/Moderna are (slightly less) effective against variants as well, right?[/quote]

I’m not really sure tbh. There’s so much conflicting information around. I’m just taking it as they’re all less effective against them, some more so than others.
Lukas
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
European Union

Postby #12 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:29 pm

Yeah my question also was more about that... So getting my AZ booster regularly but then getting another vaccine thereafter to increase immunity towards variants
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:37 pm

As far as I know the pharmaceutical companies are all advising non-mixing for the time being as it isn’t known whether they could be less effective like that or whether than can be interactions etc. But that is specifically about using a different vaccine for the second dose. I would guess that once a certain amount of time passes it would probably be safe to have a different one.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:03 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:As far as I know the pharmaceutical companies are all advising non-mixing for the time being as it isn’t known whether they could be less effective like that or whether than can be interactions etc. But that is specifically about using a different vaccine for the second dose. I would guess that once a certain amount of time passes it would probably be safe to have a different one.
Me too, dunno however...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:10 am

a year ago today was my last time sitting in a Restaurant...

Today Malta is to register the biggest nr of daily cases since 7th March 2020 ...

almost 500 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:46 am

ramsej84 wrote:a year ago today was my last time sitting in a Restaurant...

Today Malta is to register the biggest nr of daily cases since 7th March 2020 ...

1 in 1,000 people in Malta have tested positive in the last 24 hours.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:49 am

MUTU wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:a year ago today was my last time sitting in a Restaurant...

1 in 1,000 people in Malta have tested positive in the last 24 hours.

Jesus Christ that's true! :evil:
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge