You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Postby Lukas » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:47 pm

In reply to FCBayernMünchen on the English football thread...

I know and the vaccines offer hope. I just worry it’s mutating too fast for them to be effective. It’s always been a concern and it’s always been my opinion that they should focus more on finding effective treatments to make it a benign illness rather than vaccines. Coronaviruses mutate rapidly, like the common cold, and there has never been a successful vaccine for one.

But the scientists are saying that won’t happen, so we should trust them I guess
Lukas
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
European Union

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:48 pm

As far as treatment goes, apparently a group of London scientists have discovered a sort of antibody treatment. Basically they inject antibodies into someone who was exposed to the virus and they stop the virus inside the person from creating the infection (so they remain asymptomatic). It’s highly dependent on contact tracing I suppose but at least progress.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby YlonenXabi » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:16 pm

Fénix wrote::lol: :roll:

And it crossed my mind 2-3 days ago when we I talked with the godfather's family that even if you wanted to do it, there's no place to run and hide, avoid it. And now you post this, heh...

It's a fucking lottery and I mean it seriously.

We don't have it in Guernsey

You just have to self isolate for 2 weeks on arrival. Then you're free to enjoy normal life in this bubble 8)
YlonenXabi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:25 pm

YlonenXabi wrote:
Fénix wrote::lol: :roll:

And it crossed my mind 2-3 days ago when we I talked with the godfather's family that even if you wanted to do it, there's no place to run and hide, avoid it. And now you post this, heh...

It's a fucking lottery and I mean it seriously.

We don't have it in Guernsey

You just have to self isolate for 2 weeks on arrival. Then you're free to enjoy normal life in this bubble 8)
Islands can definitely keep it under control easily. We did too at first, then just blundered on.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Fénix » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:30 pm

I thought people on Antarctica 'enjoyed' their lives and then 36 cases happened. It's just a matter of time.

The only real isolation are the ones like during the Cold War. Nobody can neither leave nor enter a country or someone will get arrested, in worst case the army will open fire. But we have gone soooooooo far away from this ruff state of mind in the last 30 years.

I see Saint Helena is free in the middle of Atlantic ocean. Finally something reasonable to find out.
Fénix

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Croatia

Postby YlonenXabi » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:25 pm

We've been COVID free since May/June because we implemented a mandatory self isolation for everyone arriving into the island from March. There are very few exceptions to that rule

If you check the stats we actually have 6 COVID cases at the moment. But all of them have been self isolating since they arrived into the island as required. There hasn't been community seeding.

That approach was very risky and not many other countries could do it because that basically means zero tourism. In fact many accommodation businesses have been closed since then.

Fortunately I work in a hotel that offers Spa, Gym and Food and Beverage service too and with no restrictions or social distancing we've been hosting plenty of meetings and events.

It is hard to believe that this is 2020 :P
YlonenXabi

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain

Postby ramsej84 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:28 pm

YlonenXabi wrote:We've been COVID free since May/June because we implemented a mandatory self isolation for everyone arriving into the island from March. There are very few exceptions to that rule

If you check the stats we actually have 6 COVID cases at the moment. But all of them have been self isolating since they arrived into the island as required. There hasn't been community seeding.

That approach was very risky and not many other countries could do it because that basically means zero tourism. In fact many accommodation businesses have been closed since then.

Fortunately I work in a hotel that offers Spa, Gym and Food and Beverage service too and with no restrictions or social distancing we've been hosting plenty of meetings and events.

It is hard to believe that this is 2020 :P
God Bless ..

Malta could have done the same ... by promoting internal tourism but we are run by idiots who run after easy money
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Fénix » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:44 pm

You have migrants from the Mediterranean sea, it's still something.
Fénix

National Flag:
Croatia

Postby ramsej84 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:55 pm

Fénix wrote:You have migrants from the Mediterranean sea, it's still something.
That too but that at least was one thing that this pm did well.
We stopped them... and diverted them back or else let them do quarantine out at sea and brought them in when it was safe to do so. Although we were not obliged as at the time both ports (air & sea) were closed
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:46 pm

Fénix wrote:You have migrants from the Mediterranean sea, it's still something.
I think they’ve mostly stopped in recent months too, actually. Been a while since I heard any news at least.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:07 am

First person in Malta get vaccinated
A nurse from the intensive care unit

https://www.tvm.com.mt/en/news/watch-nu ... -in-malta/

Liked that zoomed in shot... something which was missing when the US Pres Elect and his vice were vaccinated
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:49 pm

Re: vaccines

I think the EU fucked up as they ordered too few of the "good" vaccines, while the AstraZeneca is only effective in like 70%...

Any thoughts or takes from your sides?
I DO want to get vaccinated but I strongly prefer Moderna and especially BioNTech Pfizer... I will get some kind of "early access" though since I belong to a very exposed group of public importance...
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Fénix » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:20 pm

#12 wrote:especially BioNTech Pfizer

We got this one. The 81 year old lady was the first Croat today who took the vaccine and one female medicine staff was the first in her branch.
Fénix

National Flag:
Croatia

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:26 pm

#12 wrote:Re: vaccines

I think the EU fucked up as they ordered too few of the "good" vaccines, while the AstraZeneca is only effective in like 70%...

Any thoughts or takes from your sides?
I DO want to get vaccinated but I strongly prefer Moderna and especially BioNTech Pfizer... I will get some kind of "early access" though since I belong to a very exposed group of public importance...
I read that the 70% thing is a bit misleading because that vaccine was tried out in different ways. One of the trials had something like 62% efficacy but the other one (given in 2 different sized doses) had similar numbers to the other vaccines, if I remember well.

Anyone, the CEO of the Mayo Clinic, who happens to be Maltese, is advising taking a vaccine as soon as it is available without waiting for a specific one.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:27 pm

Fénix wrote:
#12 wrote:especially BioNTech Pfizer

We got this one. The 81 year old lady was the first Croat today who took the vaccine and one female medicine staff was the first in her branch.
Yeah everybody does as of now since the other one's approval still needs a few more days...
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge