You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2019-09-06] Germany vs Netherlands

Discussions on international matches played by Germany's senior national team and youth teams.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:45 pm

Germany will win
100%
It will end in a draw
No votes
Netherlands will win
No votes

Total votes : 1

Re: [2019-09-06] Germany vs Netherlands

Postby Ed. » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:45 am

Mavs wrote:Loew is terrible.

Your formation keeps your best players on the sidelines. Let's be real: we're not winning WC's with starters like Klostermann, Schulz, Ginter, and Tah. All decent players, to be sure, but come on.
?

Schulz is not WC but ok
Tah doesn't look like he has the potential to be more than average but has age on his side and may improve with better coaching.

Ginter, Klostermann are really not finding a spot even on the second XI of any other top team.

Compare the WC players in the 2014 winning side and you look at this side, and I disagree with you, they not only aren't winning anything, I'd wager they are going to miss out on qualifying for a major tournament.

Low did a great job till 2014. After that, he was too loyal to his champion players which is a trap everything trophy wining manager falls into and now he want's to start completely from scratch as if to prove a point (god knows to who). If WC2018 was a disaster, there is much greater embarrassment to come from this team.

It's not the 2-4 result, but as a lot of folks have already pointed out, from defence to attack, the Dutch looked more technically gifted and far superior individually and as a team. Kimmich being the only exception which really an aberration because he really has no business playing in midfield.
Last edited by Ed. on Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed.
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Ed. » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:53 am

Jorge wrote:Think of the 1990 WC Champions with Augenthaler as libero, Kohler and Buchwald on central defense, Brehme and Berthold (or Reuter) as wingbacks. These players now look like schoolboys.

Now that was a team yes =D>

Brehme could curl it into the top corner with his right and take blistering freekicks with his left. There are lots of modern players good with both feet, but too have such control, power and finesse with both?, In all the time I've been wathcing football since, I don't think there has been another player with this kind of ability.
Ed.
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Mavs » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:30 am

Ed. wrote:
Mavs wrote:Loew is terrible.

Your formation keeps your best players on the sidelines. Let's be real: we're not winning WC's with starters like Klostermann, Schulz, Ginter, and Tah. All decent players, to be sure, but come on.
?

Schulz is not WC but ok
Tah doesn't look like he has the potential to be more than average but has age on his side and may improve with better coaching.

Ginter, Klostermann are really not finding a spot even on the second XI of any other top team.

Compare the WC players in the 2014 winning side and you look at this side, and I disagree with you, they not only aren't winning anything, I'd wager they are going to miss out on qualifying for a major tournament.

Low did a great job till 2014. After that, he was too loyal to his champion players which is a trap everything trophy wining manager falls into and now he want's to start completely from scratch as if to prove a point (god knows to who). If WC2018 was a disaster, there is much greater embarrassment to come from this team.

It's not the 2-4 result, but as a lot of folks have already pointed out, from defence to attack, the Dutch looked more technically gifted and far superior individually and as a team. Kimmich being the only exception which really an aberration because he really has no business playing in midfield.

Be fair to Gnabry. Also adequate.
Mavs
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby Bayernbazi » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:30 am

Jorge wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:Germans booing the Dutch national anthem...

Where is this being played?

Hamburg. Coincidentally, the last time that Germany played The Netherlands in Hamburg was the 1988 EURO semifinal, hands down the best 2 teams in the world at the time but Germany as host had the advantage and went ahead right after halftime with Matthäus scoring a penalty, only to be equalized 20 minutes later by another penalty converted by Koeman who was on the bench today, then a late goal by Van Basten with 2 minutes to play send The Netherlands to the final where they beat Russia for their only International title ever.

I imagine that the booing has to do with all this, the memories of 1988.

(Showing my age again, LOL)
...and Koemann wipes his ass with the German shirt after he exchanges his with Olaf Thon...if there was a stadium and a manager against whom they needed to fight tooth and nail this was it !Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Bayernbazi
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby ramsej84 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:43 am

Jorge wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:Germans booing the Dutch national anthem...

Where is this being played?

Hamburg. Coincidentally, the last time that Germany played The Netherlands in Hamburg was the 1988 EURO semifinal, hands down the best 2 teams in the world at the time but Germany as host had the advantage and went ahead right after halftime with Matthäus scoring a penalty, only to be equalized 20 minutes later by another penalty converted by Koeman who was on the bench today, then a late goal by Van Basten with 2 minutes to play send The Netherlands to the final where they beat Russia for their only International title ever.

I imagine that the booing has to do with all this, the memories of 1988.

(Showing my age again, LOL)
The rivalry between the two nations go back many years...
I don't remember that game but I have seen films of it... (then the MvB volley kick vs the USSR)
I remember a bit the battle between the same two nations in italia 90.

It is a international derbie.

On a personal note.
Even when I used to be a NM diehard fan I never hated the Dutch NT , I always liked them...
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:44 am

Jorge wrote:These were the times:

It always backfires ....

The same happened with the pizza pasta mafia stunt in 2006
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby r10 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:27 pm

r10
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membership

National Flag:
Poland

Postby YlonenXabi » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:44 pm

Süle :|
YlonenXabi

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby Jorge » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:31 pm

ramsej84 wrote:I remember a bit the battle between the same two nations in italia 90.
It is a international derbie.

That was the revenge for the Germans, and it was also a classic. 2 years after the Hamburg EURO Semifinal, in Milan, with the Dutch trio of Gullit, Van Basten and Rijkaard playing for AC Milan; and the German trio of Matthaus, Brehme and Klinsmann playing for Inter.

Who will forget Rijkaard and Voeller getting at each other from the kick-off until both got ejected, then Rijkaard spitting on Voeller's hair?

Rijkaard vs Voeller's:
Jorge
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Åland Islands

Postby Jorge » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:32 pm

Ed. wrote:
Now that was a team yes =D>

Brehme could curl it into the top corner with his right and take blistering freekicks with his left. There are lots of modern players good with both feet, but too have such control, power and finesse with both?, In all the time I've been wathcing football since, I don't think there has been another player with this kind of ability.

Like against The Netherlands in Milan, World Cup 1990:
Jorge
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Åland Islands

Postby ramsej84 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:50 pm

Il nostro Klinsmann e il nostro Brehme
Inter fans as commentators! & Inter has defeated the Dutch

P.S who was that guy making the marc van bommel move?

That was another era... unbelievable class...

The team of 90-96 was superior to that of 2014

Imo only two to three players from 2014 would make it with the team of the 90s
Neuer Lahm and Basti
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:12 pm

Nope, probably not even them, so what?

There’s few teams in the history of this sport remotely as good as the Germany 1990 team... The 94 team was not good, and 96 they were VERY lucky
FC **** LOSERS München!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Jorge » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:18 am

#12 wrote:Nope, probably not even them, so what?

There’s few teams in the history of this sport remotely as good as the Germany 1990 team... The 94 team was not good, and 96 they were VERY lucky

The way I see it, that 1990 team was a culmination of an era; it all started after the 1986 final; Beckenbauer rebuilt the team around Matthaus, Brehme with the new talent that was emerging and improved his concept building the team block by block. For some "puritans" the team was efficient but boring; personally I saw them as tactically, mentally and physically well tuned. It was hard to imagine any team rolling over that German side, in the Joachim Löw era there have been peaks and valleys.

I do not think that when it comes to talent players like Buchwald or Berthold were substantially better that the class of 2014, but in the context of playing for that team, with a clear concept and a strong mentality, they performed at 110% on the field which made them better.

Look at yesterday's game and you will see players that are playing at a decent level at the start of the Bundesliga: Reus, Werner, Brandt and they played at 50% of what they are capable of.

Some are saying that the Dutch looked more talented, they certainly have a good defense and a good deep midfield but their attacking unit is toothless, from average to low. In the first half they couldn't open a single space in the German backline and later they made damage with almost nothing. Like Germany, they do not have those great attackers of yesteryear, think about the center forwards that The Netherlands had in recent times: Van Basten, van Nistelrooy, Kluivert, Bergkamp, Van Persie.....compared that to Promes, Depay, Babel, they are as much of a joke as Germany is.
Jorge
I post all the time

National Flag:
Åland Islands

Postby Ed. » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:24 am

Jorge wrote:
#12 wrote:
Some are saying that the Dutch looked more talented, they certainly have a good defense and a good deep midfield but their attacking unit is toothless, from average to low. In the first half they couldn't open a single space in the German backline and later they made damage with almost nothing. Like Germany, they do not have those great attackers of yesteryear, think about the center forwards that The Netherlands had in recent times: Van Basten, van Nistelrooy, Kluivert, Bergkamp, Van Persie.....compared that to Promes, Depay, Babel, they are as much of a joke as Germany is.

Yup, agree. They have a solid CB pairing to rival the best and a decent midfield engine but are not too flash at the top.

That's however alarming though when you put Germany in context. This above average Dutch side looked a level above the clueless team Low put out.
Ed.
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Ed. » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:32 am

#12 wrote:Nope, probably not even them, so what?

and 96 they were VERY lucky

You mean the Euro winning side? Really?, I thought they were exceptional. If you mean the squad was average, then yes, Kuntz, eilts, a lot of the squad were mediocre but the performances were not. I think they won the tournament without a single defeat, beat the hosts and a very good Czech side in the final.

Now, the 2002 WC team, that was probably the most average and luckiest german NT, not least because they had a moron for a manager.
Ed.
I'm a chatterbox!

PreviousNext

Return to German National Team