You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2018-06-17] Germany vs Mexico

Discussions on international matches played by Germany's senior national team and youth teams.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:00 pm

Germany will win
75%
It will end in a draw
No votes
Mexico will win
25%

Total votes : 8

Re: [2018-06-17] Germany vs Mexico

Postby America USA » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:09 pm

ramsej84 wrote:
America USA wrote:Both of you have a point. I can totally understand people throwing their weight behind their homeland and supporting their national teams but Twelve is right too, you don’t have to support a national team for the sake of it if you don’t agree with the ideology and principles of your country.

Politics and sport don't go together...

so what ,,, you don't support the US cause of Trump? or Italy casue of Salvini... ? or France cause of Macron...

I understand to certain extent Lukas... as he hates English football and all that has to do with it,,,

If we had qualified for the World Cup I would support us against everyone except maybe Germany.
America USA
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby America USA » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:12 pm

Lukas wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:
America USA wrote:Both of you have a point. I can totally understand people throwing their weight behind their homeland and supporting their national teams but Twelve is right too, you don’t have to support a national team for the sake of it if you don’t agree with the ideology and principles of your country.

so what ,,, you don't support the US cause of Trump? or Italy casue of Salvini... ? or France cause of Macron...

I understand to certain extent Lukas... as he hates English football and all that has to do with it,,,

It's more the arrogance of my fellow countrymen that I hate tbh. Unwilling to accept the wrongs of the past and still thinking the Empire exists.The cricket team somehow transcends all that for me, although the rest of the cricketing countries may disagree.

Cricket? :lol:

I could care less if England win the next ten World Cups in a sport played by a dozen countries and a sport where there are only ten teams in a “World” Cup :roll:
America USA
I'm a post king!

Postby Lukas » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:23 pm

America USA wrote:
Lukas wrote: that I hate tbh. Unwilling to accept the wrongs of the past and still thinking the Empire exists.The cricket team somehow transcends all that for me, although the rest of the cricketing countries may disagree.

I could care less if England win the next ten World Cups in a sport played by a dozen countries and a sport where there are only ten teams in a “World” Cup :roll:
Third most watched sporting event in the world thanks to India :P Should be many more teams in it but ICC and BCCI say no. England winning the football WC would mean nothing to me but the cricket WC would mean everything IF (big IF) it ever happened
Lukas
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby America USA » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:40 pm

Lukas wrote:
America USA wrote:
Lukas wrote: that I hate tbh. Unwilling to accept the wrongs of the past and still thinking the Empire exists.The cricket team somehow transcends all that for me, although the rest of the cricketing countries may disagree.

Third most watched sporting event in the world thanks to India :P Should be many more teams in it but ICC and BCCI say no. England winning the football WC would mean nothing to me but the cricket WC would mean everything IF (big IF) it ever happened

There is the problem with anyone who seriously tries to argue Cricket being “popular” because many people watch it. That sport has 2 billion viewers at best and the bulk of them are from the Indian subcontinent.

Sorry but I can never consider Cricket a “popular” sport because of these facts alone. Ask someone in Latin America what sport Cricket is and you will get blank looks. Ask what Football (Soccer) is and 99% of the Global population knows what sport you’re referring to!

A sport that has 10 teams in a “World Cup” can never legitimately be spoken of in the same breath as Football. Same goes for Baseball and our own Football.
America USA
I'm a post king!

Postby Lukas » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:00 pm

I know It's a niche sport. Not trying to argue with that at all. I like it that way anyway. Never been one for liking something just because It's popular, I am an english Bayern/Germany fan after all :P
Lukas
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Lukas » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:04 pm

Anyway tomorrow. Not really sure what to expect for the match or the whole tournament for Germany. I expect the defence to give away chances and goals and how many will determine how far they go. If Tournament Germany appear then the SFs at least should be possible
Lukas
I'm a post king!

Postby PunkCapitalist » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:07 pm

ramsej84 wrote:

Many Americans contemplated (I don't know if they carried it through) leaving the US after Trump was elected. On principle, aka "I don't want to live in the same territory as people who are biggotted enough to elect this A-H".

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
PunkCapitalist
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby PunkCapitalist » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:11 pm

It goes beyond that. Countries don't really have a single unique ideology/set of principles/character. That's just nationalist fantasy.

I'm pretty sure most of us could find a large chunk of our fellow countrymen truly abhorrent in terms of their values, principles, etc.

What sense does nationalism make in that case?

PD; I don't support my national team. Dont care how it does. Don't even watch it unless my friends invite me over for a few beers or something, and then I only go as an excuse for a social gathering, not for the game itself.

Last edited by PunkCapitalist on Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PunkCapitalist

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:12 pm

PunkCapitalist wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:

Many Americans contemplated (I don't know if they carried it through) leaving the US after Trump was elected. On principle, aka "I don't want to live in the same territory as people who are biggotted enough to elect this A-H".

And I don't blame them. But what does football have to do with it?

I would always support my NT in sports (although I don't watch them much). I would even start to support the NT of any country I live in, the exception probably being England. doesn't mean I agree with what's going on in the country.

The exception is if the team itself is involved in acts I disagree with
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby PunkCapitalist » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:15 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
PunkCapitalist wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:[quote="America USA"]Both of you have a point. I can totally understand people throwing their weight behind their homeland and supporting their national teams but Twelve is right too, you don’t have to support a national team for the sake of it if you don’t agree with the ideology and principles of your country.

And I don't blame them. But what does football have to do with it?

I would always support my NT in sports (although I don't watch them much). I would even start to support the NT of any country I live in, the exception probably being England. doesn't mean I agree with what's going on in the country.

The exception is if the team itself is involved in acts I disagree with[/quote]Well, nothing. I was just commenting on Ramsej's "Would you stop supporting the US because of Trump?" comment. Leaving the US is a much more serious and radical affair than simply not supporting the NT.

PunkCapitalist

[2018-06-17] Germany vs Mexico

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:17 pm

Ah, okay. And yes, that's true, but also Trump has a bigger effect on your everyday life than on football (unless he decides to shut down the NT or something)
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ramsej84 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:22 pm

U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby America USA » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:30 pm

@ Punk - Where are you from? Let me guess.. Portugal?

EDIT: I’ve already posted the lineup I would like to see but I guess (sadly) we will be seeing this:

So looking forward to this one! :D
America USA
I'm a post king!

Postby #12 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:52 am

ramsej84 wrote:

You didn’t get my point... Your gvt represents your country just as much as your NT... How come you can criticize the one but with the other it’s close to treason? ;)
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby PunkCapitalist » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:15 am

America USA wrote:@ Punk - Where are you from? Let me guess.. Portugal?

EDIT: I’ve already posted the lineup I would like to see but I guess (sadly) we will be seeing this:

So looking forward to this one! :D
Hahaha Venezuela. It's not on the WC, but even if it were I wouldn't care much. I'm also half Peruvian; didn't watch that match either.

PunkCapitalist

PreviousNext

Return to German National Team