You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

General German national team thread

Discussions on international matches played by Germany's senior national team and youth teams.

Should Joachim Löw remain the German coach?

Yes, he is a great coach.
6%
Yes, because at the moment there's not many options.
24%
No, he should resign as Germany needs a new direction.
47%
No, he should be fired as he's doing a terrible job.
24%

Total votes : 17

Re: General German national team thread

Postby walter » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:59 am

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/team/germany/48 ... or-germany?

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Joachim Löw's Germany have taken much more time than anticipated -- and surely much more time than they'd hoped they would need -- but in the past 24 hours or so, things have begun to come together at last.

All the injury doubts have cleared up, and you didn't have to read too hard between the lines of player interviews, Löw's statements and those of chief scout Urs Siegenthaler to arrive at a good idea of the national team's expected lineup, formation and tactics for the opening game against Portugal on Monday. Two decisions in central midfield, while not unexpected, shape the rest of the team, as well as their strategy.

First, Captain Philipp Lahm will be one of two holding midfielders, next to Sami Khedira. The Bayern Munich skipper gave the game away as early as last weekend when he told The Guardian that he "expected" to feature in a central role after playing there for 45 minutes in the last friendly against Armenia.

Making way: Bayern teammate Bastian Schweinsteiger. Löw will be able to cite the 29-year-old's fitness struggles as a reason for his exclusion, but benching Germany's leading midfielder of the past two tournaments has an added political dimension. Schweinsteiger might not be the sort of player to cause a fuss, but by leaving him out, Löw also sends a message to his team and beyond. This time -- unlike at Euro 2012 -- there will be no deference to big names.

As strange as that might have sounded a few months ago, Lahm is the safer option at the moment, especially if you consider that Khedira, who has never been a true holding midfielder by nature, is also still in the process of coming back to full fitness.

Löw's second big decision: Toni Kroos will (probably) take up the No. 10 role. The Bayern player has been staking a claim on the more defensive position in the middle of the park, but the national manager wants him to play at the top of a midfield three in which he'll have more control. "The ball is safe with Toni," Bayern assistant coach Herrmann Gerland once said, and not losing the ball softly in the attacking third will be more of a priority to Germany in the hot Salvador, conditions than playing another attacking midfielder in his place. Kroos will also naturally play deeper than Mesut Özil or Mario Götze would do, so Löw's favoured 4-2-3-1 system will in fact be much more like a 4-3-3.

That in turn frees up the wide players -- just a little bit. They can stay higher up the pitch and provide an outlet for a more direct game. Siegenthaler, one of Löw's key advisers, told Frankfurter Rundschau that it would be a folly to play a "European game in South American conditions" and that high pressing would be impossible due to the humidity. Germany will thus start their attacks from a deeper position. They will still seek to dominate possession, but having the ball will take a backseat to not getting caught out on the break.

"It's vitally important that we don't chase a lead in those conditions," Lahm explained to me last week. In other words, Löw will seek to modify his approach and tailor it to the realities at hand. The idea of not conceding, not long ago treated as a mere afterthought by Löw, will be paramount in this group in Brazil.

Thomas Müller should start in the right attacking role. On the opposite flank, where there's suddenly a Marco Reus-shaped hole to fill, it's a battle between Lukas Podolski -- arguably Germany's most convincing performer during the tournament preparations -- and André Schürrle. The latter could get the nod due to his superior pace and ability to also play through the middle.

Özil is likely to play up front as a "false 9," but him, Müller and Schürrle/Podolski are supposed to keep changing positions constantly. The idea is to tire out the Portuguese in the first 60 or 70 minutes; then, Götze, Miroslav Klose or Schürrle/Podolski can come in to finish the job later on.

"Having players who can make a real difference from the bench is key," Lahm said. "Because the conditions will make it difficult to create chances while everyone is still at their physical best." Löw and Siegenthaler have made similar noises. Neither expect Germany to be able to play with the same fluidity of movement while spaces remain tight, so it makes sense to break up the 90 minutes into two, or even three, different mini-games with different personnel and tactics for each segment.

It's not a revolutionary concept but still a bit of departure for Löw, who was unwilling to moderate his footballing ideals in the past. This time, Germany will be a little more reactive, willing to lure out the opposition in order to be a bit less elaborate (read: quicker) on the break.

In defence, Jérôme Boateng will line up on the right side against Cristiano Ronaldo. The Bayern Munich centre-back is happier in the middle and not great going forward, but he also provides a better matchup than some might suspect. The 25-year-old is the fastest German defender; he's also their best athlete. Per Mertesacker (Arsenal) and Mats Hummels (Dortmund) will have to find an understanding in the centre, a partnership that has been a little lacking off the pitch. That leaves one open place. Benedikt Höwedes of Schalke 04 has reportedly made up some key ground on the inexperienced Erik Durm (Dortmund) -- Höwedes was tipped by Bild on Wednesday to take that spot in the first XI.

It goes without saying that the real test of all these plans will come only once the game actually kicks off against Portugal, just as the real test for "the outstanding team spirit" that Löw praised will arrive only in the wake of some players coming to terms with being left out of the starting XI. But at least, at last, Germany now know where they stand, tactically, and with whom. Now that there's certainty, a bit of optimism can flow from that.

It's about time.
walter
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Venezuela
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Jorge » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:14 am

"so it makes sense to break up the 90 minutes into two, or even three, different mini-games with different personnel and tactics for each segment"

Kevin Großkreutz? he can be 3 different persons in just one game (multiple personality disorder) .
Jorge
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Åland Islands

Postby walter » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:26 am

Jorge wrote:Kevin Großkreutz? he can be 3 different persons in just one game (multiple personality disorder) .

really? I see only one: the asshole one. :lol:
walter
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Venezuela

Postby walter » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:28 am

I'm gonna say, not sold on the idea of Lahm playing midfield in the NT, especially considering his good record at RB against Ronaldo.
walter
I post all the time

National Flag:
Venezuela

Postby Dgro » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:38 am

Schweini on the bench huh... bothers me a little since he was our top performer 4 years ago, nostalgia and all that, but i understand that this is probably deserved given his injuries and subsequent lack of form and fitness.

However. Schweini benched for an also out of form Sami Khedira??? Oh man, that i do not like. Khedira has looked terrible and i have a very hard time believing he has more to contribute than our vice captain. I would accept benching Schweinsteiger to make room for Gotze, Klose, Podolski, or Schurrle in the starting lineup. This decision (if it is true) leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Dgro
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby walter » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:44 am

Dgro wrote:Schweini benched for an also out of form Sami Khedira???

That's the thing, as much as Schweini has been struggling with form/fitness is Khedira really in better shape?
walter
I post all the time

National Flag:
Venezuela

Postby Jorge » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:47 am

Calm down guys, Do not believe everything that you read! I wouldn't be surprised if on game 1 Lahm goes back to RB, Boa to LB and Bastian is paired in the middle with Khedira ( it seems unlikely that Low will bench Khedira) It is also a fact that Loew is scared to death to concede early and not being able to turn it around so he is trying to lock the game through the center.

If he benches Bastian I see him coming in as a sub early in the 2nd half regardless of the scoreline.
Jorge
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Åland Islands

Postby Jorge » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:51 am

Interactive Bracket:

http://bit.ly/1p4m4I3

I had the Semifinals Germany vs Brazil / Spain vs Argentina
Jorge
I post all the time

National Flag:
Åland Islands

Postby Dgro » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:58 am

Jorge wrote:Calm down guys, Do not believe everything that you read! I wouldn't be surprised if on game 1 Lahm goes back to RB, Boa to LB and Bastian is paired in the middle with Khedira ( it seems unlikely that Low will bench Khedira) It is also a fact that Loew is scared to death to concede early and not being able to turn it around so he is trying to lock the game through the center.

If he benches Bastian I see him coming in as a sub early in the 2nd half regardless of the scoreline.

To be honest, I am allowing myself to get caught up and analyze this bit of information as if it is true, although I am still skeptical. That said... i would not be surprised to see this lineup confirmed given the way players were used in the recent tune up games. I think you are right to assume that Basti will at least be used as a sub, and I personally hope he will win a spot in the XI throughout the tournament!
Dgro
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby walter » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:26 am

The article was written by Raphael Honigstein, not by some random dude, so there gotta be some credibility to it about some of the decisions taken. Obviously it's still early and many things can change by Monday.
walter
I post all the time

National Flag:
Venezuela

Postby Jorge » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:13 am

Jorge
I post all the time

National Flag:
Åland Islands

Postby MoFattal » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:28 am

Schweinsteiger seems to be the one having the most fun in Brazil :D
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby Tedesco » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:35 am

Probably laughing his ass off with people trying to pronounce his name.
Tedesco
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:37 am

Jorge wrote:it seems unlikely that Low will bench Khedira

This will be our downfall.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby walter » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:57 pm

Mats Hummels most popular in Germany squad
Defender tops internet survey conducted by University of Hoffenheim

Rio de Janeiro: He is not as well known as some of his German team mates, nor is he the most successful in the group, but Borussia Dortmund centre back Mats Hummels is the most popular of Joachim Loew’s 23-man-squad for the World Cup, according to a study carried out by the University of Hoffenheim.

“Hummels personifies the charismatic competitor who is always calm and fair,” explained Markus Voeth, the man in charge of the internet survey of 929 people.

Hummels topped the list ahead of Bayern Munich trio Manuel Neuer, Philipp Lahm and Thomas Mueller, with his Dortmund team mate Kevin Grosskreutz finishing bottom of the pile.

:lol:
walter
I post all the time

National Flag:
Venezuela

PreviousNext

Return to German National Team