You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

General German national team thread

Discussions on international matches played by Germany's senior national team and youth teams.

Should Joachim Löw remain the German coach?

Yes, he is a great coach.
7%
Yes, because at the moment there's not many options.
21%
No, he should resign as Germany needs a new direction.
43%
No, he should be fired as he's doing a terrible job.
29%

Total votes : 14

Re: General German national team thread

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:46 pm

MatZam wrote:Bayern can risk the 4-1-4-1 because we have a great defence. The German national team doesn't. What is needed is someone to fill the 'Martinez' role, basically present the footballing equivalent to a brick wall in front of the defence.

And I really don't agree with Lahm in the midfield role for the NT. With the most stacked midfield in the world, why on earth should we add another player to it who also happens to be our best defender?

Attack wins you games, defence wins you trophies.

I think that both Benders can fill in that role, as can (on the riskier side) Howedes.

Comparing to Bayern:
Lahm > whoever plays in DM (unless it's also Lahm), but Bayern have managed to play a 4-1-4-1 well enough with a player worse than Martinez
Alaba > Schmelzer (not much anyone can do here)
Boateng = Boateng
Hummels > or = Dante (depending on which Hummels we see, and Dante's form)
Rafinha < Lahm

My opinion is that it is possible for the NT to have similar defensive results as Bayern with the 4-1-4-1 formation.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby MatZam » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:44 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
MatZam wrote:Bayern can risk the 4-1-4-1 because we have a great defence. The German national team doesn't. What is needed is someone to fill the 'Martinez' role, basically present the footballing equivalent to a brick wall in front of the defence.

And I really don't agree with Lahm in the midfield role for the NT. With the most stacked midfield in the world, why on earth should we add another player to it who also happens to be our best defender?

Attack wins you games, defence wins you trophies.

I think that both Benders can fill in that role, as can (on the riskier side) Howedes.

Comparing to Bayern:
Lahm > whoever plays in DM (unless it's also Lahm), but Bayern have managed to play a 4-1-4-1 well enough with a player worse than Martinez
Alaba > Schmelzer (not much anyone can do here)
Boateng = Boateng
Hummels > or = Dante (depending on which Hummels we see, and Dante's form)
Rafinha < Lahm

My opinion is that it is possible for the NT to have similar defensive results as Bayern with the 4-1-4-1 formation.

I agree that man for man, the German defence is equal or only slightly worse (depending on form) to Bayern. But the key question is this... How long do Bayern's defenders play and practice together, and how long do the NT's defenders play and train together? Defence is perhaps the area in football which requires most co-ordination and practice, and a few friendlies and qualification matches a year aren't enough for that.

PS: Jaqaw mghandekx ezami ghada? :P
MatZam
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:57 pm

MatZam wrote:I agree that man for man, the German defence is equal or only slightly worse (depending on form) to Bayern. But the key question is this... How long do Bayern's defenders play and practice together, and how long do the NT's defenders play and train together? Defence is perhaps the area in football which requires most co-ordination and practice, and a few friendlies and qualification matches a year aren't enough for that.

PS: Jaqaw mghandekx ezami ghada?

You raise a good point I suppose.

U le, nhar it-Tnejn nibda :P
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby SouthernStar » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:43 am

I'm curious... what do people think of Hamburg's players chances for the NT for the WC after recent events?
SouthernStar
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby Tedesco » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:05 am

Jansen is good and should get more chances
Tedesco
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Germany

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:06 am

SouthernStar wrote:I'm curious... what do people think of Hamburg's players chances for the NT for the WC after recent events?

One can argue that Adler, Westermann & Jansen cannot be at fault since they are surrounded with mediocre team-mates. However I still don't think they deserve to be called... If anything Westermann because of the small supply of CBs.

GK - Neuer, Weidenfeller Ter Stegen so Adler I think will miss out.

One player I'd like to see (even if I don't like him) is K.Grosskreutz - he is the typical German player of the past century - aggressive and evil. You need players like him, hopefully JL identifies this missing thing in the NT, besides the fact that he can play all-over the pitch.
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MoFattal » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:58 am

ramsej84 wrote:One can argue that Adler, Westermann & Jansen cannot be at fault since they are surrounded with mediocre team-mates.

Yeah, but one can also argue that those three are actually the core of their defense.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Re: Kitchen Design Lancashire

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:48 pm

safeean wrote:I have no complaints at all regarding Kitchen Design Lancashire .

This cracked me up because it sounded as if it was directed to our friend Lancashire. :lol:
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:47 pm

With another fullback (Lahm) probably 'lost' to midfield, is it time that Loew experiments with Contento? It's not like Germany have an embarrassment of riches in the fullback positions these days, y'know...
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Element » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:06 pm

MUTU wrote:With another fullback (Lahm) probably 'lost' to midfield, is it time that Loew experiments with Contento? It's not like Germany have an embarrassment of riches in the fullback positions these days, y'know...

I think Lahm will Probably Play RB
But in case,he gets moved to CDM

Löw will most likely use Schmelzer as LB and Höwedes/L.Bender as RB

And dont forget Kevin Großkreutz
Element

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:29 pm

MUTU wrote:With another fullback (Lahm) probably 'lost' to midfield, is it time that Loew experiments with Contento? It's not like Germany have an embarrassment of riches in the fullback positions these days, y'know...

Why not players who are doing well in the BuLi like those from Wfl Wolfsburg, Borr.Monchengladbach etc
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Dgro » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:23 pm

I think Lahm will play RB. I think he should, too.

On the left, we have options besides Schmelzer... Jansen can play, and I know Boateng, Bender and Howedes have played on the outsides (not sure if right or left), not to mention Badstuber (although maybe I just shouldn't). In the middle we have options too... Boateng, Howedes, Mertesacker, and Hummels.

Speaking of Mertesacker, I've seen a lot of Germany fans ignoring his existance lately as if he has no chance of winning a role in the starting XI. That seems odd to me since he's having a career year this year and he's been a mainstay for the NT in the past. Not saying he's a shoo-in, but I wouldn't bee surprised to see him start over certain other players, namely an underperforming Mats Hummels...
Dgro
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:41 pm

my preferred starting formation would be this: hoping that Gundogan will recover well
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MatZam » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:49 pm

ramsej84 wrote:my preferred starting formation would be this: hoping that Gundogan will recover well

Agree totally, players from only two teams who play regularly. Whilst I'm all for giving a chance to other players from other teams, not just playing a player because he plays for a good team, the more players you use from the same team/s, the better.
MatZam
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:27 am

That team needs a Bender

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to German National Team