You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

General German national team thread

Discussions on international matches played by Germany's senior national team and youth teams.
 

Should Joachim Löw remain the German coach?

Yes, he is a great coach.
2
7%
Yes, because at the moment there's not many options.
6
21%
No, he should resign as Germany needs a new direction.
11
39%
No, he should be fired as he's doing a terrible job.
9
32%
 
Total votes : 28

Re: General German national team thread

Postby YlonenXabi » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:58 pm

Nobody likes slow possession game.

Slow possession is the result of players not executing tactics properly either due to the lack of quality, speed or mobility on the pitch or coach not being able to clearly convey his tactics to the players.

I don't think any coach would tell their players to deliberate play a slow tempo possession game unless he wants to hold on to the score or close the game



BTW Sane has withdrawn from the NT for personal reasons
User avatar
YlonenXabi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 12544
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:53 am
Location: Guernsey
National Flag:
Spain
Has thanked: 3941 times
Been thanked: 4030 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Re: General German national team thread

Postby Jorge » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 pm

YlonenXabi wrote:Nobody likes slow possession game.
I am not sure, some in this forum and elsewhere defend it.

YlonenXabi wrote:Slow possession is the result of players not executing tactics properly either due to the lack of quality, speed or mobility on the pitch or coach not being able to clearly convey his tactics to the players.


Good debate! If the team plays slow tempo possession game, again and again (and Germany does) who can we blame besides the head coach? I am convinced it is not the players. Many of these players play and have played a different way for club or country. Even if they are "slow, have no quality or mobility" -as you said- the coach picked them and the outcome is always the same, in my opinion, this is no different than the coach believing in possession football, like Guardiola used to believe when he said numerous times in his glory days that "if you take the ball away from an opponent that otherwise would have produced 10 chances, then you are reducing those chances to 2 or 3 and from there it is easier to manage a game". This is a concept, not the result of a failed tactical plan in one specific game or players misunderstanding. I have reasons to believe that Low believes in this concept now and the WC fiasco is just the beginning of being wrong, like it happened to Guardiola at one point in his coaching career.

YlonenXabi wrote: I don't think any coach would tell their players to deliberate play a slow tempo possession game unless he wants to hold on to the score or close the game

You probably need to go back and replay Low's post match interview after the Sweden game.
User avatar
Jorge
I'm a post king!
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 2567
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:32 pm
Location: Nashville, USA
National Flag:
Åland Islands
Has thanked: 168 times
Been thanked: 1494 times
Gender: Male

Re: General German national team thread

Postby Jorge » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:45 pm

GoatHCW wrote:Any truth to the rumor that Leroy Sane left the team this morning and wont be playing against Peru?


It seems unrelated to his playing and team-fitting problems. According to Bild it relates to his girlfriend's pregnancy.
User avatar
Jorge
I'm a post king!
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 2567
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:32 pm
Location: Nashville, USA
National Flag:
Åland Islands
Has thanked: 168 times
Been thanked: 1494 times
Gender: Male

Re: General German national team thread

Postby GoatHCW » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:04 pm

Jorge wrote:
GoatHCW wrote:Any truth to the rumor that Leroy Sane left the team this morning and wont be playing against Peru?


It seems unrelated to his playing and team-fitting problems. According to Bild it relates to his girlfriend's pregnancy.

Great news! I was worried it was more drama with the team
GoatHCW
I'm a chatterbox!
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:04 pm
Has thanked: 359 times
Been thanked: 137 times
Gender: Male

Re: General German national team thread

Postby MUTU » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:24 pm

Jorge wrote:
GoatHCW wrote:Any truth to the rumor that Leroy Sane left the team this morning and wont be playing against Peru?


It seems unrelated to his playing and team-fitting problems. According to Bild it relates to his girlfriend's pregnancy.

Is he the father, or did John Terry strike again?
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
User avatar
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 47666
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: L-Imqabba, Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 8701 times
Been thanked: 14033 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: General German national team thread

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:46 pm

If he left cause of Angela Loew... the latter should be sacked asap
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
User avatar
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 49128
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:47 pm
Location: Birkirkara - Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 32552 times
Been thanked: 7087 times
Gender: Male

Re: General German national team thread

Postby Jorge » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:01 pm

MUTU wrote:]Is he the father, or did John Terry strike again?


That's a good one.

Probably I wrote the story before but the day before the 2010 WC England-Germany game I went to a forum for German fans, an English poster crashed into the debate and took a shot at Bastian saying something like: "I do not know German but I read that Schweinsteiger means someone who "mounts" pigs" to which a female German fan replied: - "well I guess that tomorrow John Terry is going to get pregnant!"
User avatar
Jorge
I'm a post king!
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 2567
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:32 pm
Location: Nashville, USA
National Flag:
Åland Islands
Has thanked: 168 times
Been thanked: 1494 times
Gender: Male

Re: General German national team thread

Postby YlonenXabi » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:57 pm

Jorge wrote:I am convinced it is not the players. Many of these players play and have played a different way for club or country. Even if they are "slow, have no quality or mobility" -as you said- the coach picked them and the outcome is always the same, in my opinion, this is no different than the coach believing in possession football, like Guardiola used to believe when he said numerous times in his glory days that "if you take the ball away from an opponent that otherwise would have produced 10 chances, then you are reducing those chances to 2 or 3 and from there it is easier to manage a game".


Well, to me the starting lineup really needs at least a 2-3 energetic young players. I'm talking about Sane, Brandt, Gnabry...

Because on paper Germany has a strong team with Mueller, Reus, Oezil, etc but those players are past their prime for different reasons and have lost their spark. We need some new faces to reactivate our offense combined with the old guard.

I don't think Germany is that bad now though. The WC fiasco was mainly due to complacence, the team being burnt out after a long season and Löw's incapability to react and give the chance to younger and hungrier players. The team was heavily exposed against hard working and counter attacking teams like Mexico or South Korea.


GK: Well covered for years to come with Neuer and Ter Stegen
Defense: As long as Kimmich remains as RB, the team only lacks a quality LB
Midfield: Now that Khedira is gone Loew needs to find a permanent partner for Kroos.
Attack: Hoping to see more from Brandt, Sane and Gnabry. Finding a decent #9 is a must as well. Sandro Wagner would have been ideal to play a Giroud kind of role

The new generation doesn't look as talented as the 2009/2010 one but there are some interesting players to add up to the squad
User avatar
YlonenXabi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 12544
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:53 am
Location: Guernsey
National Flag:
Spain
Has thanked: 3941 times
Been thanked: 4030 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Re: General German national team thread

Postby Jorge » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:26 pm

YlonenXabi wrote:Well, to me the starting lineup really needs at least a 2-3 energetic young players. I'm talking about Sane, Brandt, Gnabry...

We are going in circles: they are useless in Low's system. They become isolated and irrelevant. Look at Werner or Sane, how can they be so effective for their clubs which play in top leagues and not for Germany?

The reason Low sticks to the old guard is because they "control" the game = they keep possession. This is how Low explained his line-up decisions in Russia. He wanted calmness and control, he kept telling the players to show that Germany was in control and not losing patience, and in each game the clock kept running until there was no time for anything. Low thought a switch was going to click in at one point, just like that: by itself. These are his own words.

Now he fixed the defense problems based on what we watched vs France but the offensive game is not going to improve until he changes the style and mixes the game.

You put it right when you mentioned Sane, Brandt, Gnabry; you give these 3 space and they will shine and for that you need to play a more direct style, even more Muller, Goretzka, Reus, Werner, all of them will be much better. Even more, when you say that there is no player crisis you are most likely closer to the truth: it is not about substance, it is about style.
User avatar
Jorge
I'm a post king!
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 2567
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:32 pm
Location: Nashville, USA
National Flag:
Åland Islands
Has thanked: 168 times
Been thanked: 1494 times
Gender: Male

Re: General German national team thread

Postby IsiahRashad » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:50 pm

Salihamidžić: “Correct. Dayot Upamecano will play for FC Bayern for the next five years."
User avatar
IsiahRashad
Moderator & 2019/20 Prediction Game Winner
Moderator & 2019/20 Prediction Game Winner
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 10718
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:38 pm
National Flag:
Bulgaria
Has thanked: 5370 times
Been thanked: 5654 times
Gender: Male

Re: General German national team thread

Postby America USA » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:06 pm

I’m afraid Löw might ruin Kimmich by playing him in midfield like Pep did with Alaba.

Somebody needs to speak with the player himself as to where he wants to play permanently. He doesn’t have to play RB just to be the “next Lahm”.
User avatar
America USA
I'm a post king!
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 3590
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 625 times
Been thanked: 1086 times

General German national team thread

Postby #12 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:15 pm

Well if he wants to play, he should settle for RB... Just like, and here’s the kicker: Alaba
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
User avatar
#12
Chief Critic
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 24738
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 1:31 pm
National Flag:
Germany
Has thanked: 1230 times
Been thanked: 5610 times
Gender: Male

Re: General German national team thread

Postby IsiahRashad » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:36 pm

Image

The stats are from the last season.

I would like to have this guy no matter what on the RB, because no one in Bayern, German National or any other team is offering the same as Kimmich.
It's funny how a lot of people compare him to Lahm. We all knew that there is not going to be another player like him anytime soon, but Kimmich is the best RB in the World since the start of the 2017 season, and the injuries of Carvajal really left him out of the race. It's Kimmich and everybody else.

Yes, he has to work on his defense litte much, but comeone, it's not 2010. I'm not saying that he cannot or don't have to play in the midfield, but he is putting tremendous numbers and good games as a RB. It's the same with Pavard - the dude is straight fire as a CB, but in his national team he is playing in another position. Yes, he is good at it- but he can be even better on his original place. The problem in France are Varane and Umtiti, top 5 CB's in the World. It's not the same case with Kimmich.
Salihamidžić: “Correct. Dayot Upamecano will play for FC Bayern for the next five years."
User avatar
IsiahRashad
Moderator & 2019/20 Prediction Game Winner
Moderator & 2019/20 Prediction Game Winner
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 10718
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:38 pm
National Flag:
Bulgaria
Has thanked: 5370 times
Been thanked: 5654 times
Gender: Male

Re: General German national team thread

Postby tflags » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:45 pm

I still don't get why Loew is Maxing out.
tflags

 

Re: General German national team thread

Postby PunkCapitalist » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:39 pm

Jorge wrote:
YlonenXabi wrote:Well, to me the starting lineup really needs at least a 2-3 energetic young players. I'm talking about Sane, Brandt, Gnabry...

We are going in circles: they are useless in Low's system. They become isolated and irrelevant. Look at Werner or Sane, how can they be so effective for their clubs which play in top leagues and not for Germany?

The reason Low sticks to the old guard is because they "control" the game = they keep possession. This is how Low explained his line-up decisions in Russia. He wanted calmness and control, he kept telling the players to show that Germany was in control and not losing patience, and in each game the clock kept running until there was no time for anything. Low thought a switch was going to click in at one point, just like that: by itself. These are his own words.

Now he fixed the defense problems based on what we watched vs France but the offensive game is not going to improve until he changes the style and mixes the game.

You put it right when you mentioned Sane, Brandt, Gnabry; you give these 3 space and they will shine and for that you need to play a more direct style, even more Muller, Goretzka, Reus, Werner, all of them will be much better. Even more, when you say that there is no player crisis you are most likely closer to the truth: it is not about substance, it is about style.
I agree with Jorge completely. The problem is not the players, it's the system. Both Germany and Bayern are too "patient", they seek too much security and control.

I think an argument can be made, though, that it's a player problem indirectly. We're on our third year post-Pep and still the Bayern German core can't seem to shake off the habits of the worst version of what Guardiola tried to do here.

Löw and Kovac need to shake up tactics in a major way.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
User avatar
PunkCapitalist
I live on BayernForum.com
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 8303
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:15 pm
Has thanked: 3668 times
Been thanked: 3283 times
Gender: Male

PreviousNext

Return to German National Team

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest