You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

General German national team thread

Discussions on international matches played by Germany's senior national team and youth teams.

Should Joachim Löw remain the German coach?

Yes, he is a great coach.
8%
Yes, because at the moment there's not many options.
23%
No, he should resign as Germany needs a new direction.
42%
No, he should be fired as he's doing a terrible job.
27%

Total votes : 26

Re: General German national team thread

Postby RedQueen » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:40 pm

I looked up the possession statistics of the Confed Cup and World Cup games, as well as the three most recent friendlies.

In the Confed Cup:
Germany 1-0 Chile 39 percent
Germany 4-1 Mexico 42 percent
Germany 1-1 Chile 54 percent
Germany 3-2 Australia 59 percent
Germany 3-1 Cameroon 60 percent

In World Cup 2018:
Germany 0-2 South Korea 74 percent
Germany 2-1 Sweden 53 percent
Germany 0-1 Mexico 66 percent

The test games before the World Cup:
Germany 1-2 Austria 64 percent
Germany 0--1 Brazil 63 percent
Germany 2-1 Saudi Arabia 52 percent

Maybe it's just me, but I feel there's a pattern here.
"Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!" - Red Queen, Alice - Through the Looking-Glass
RedQueen
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby RedQueen » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:42 pm

I looked up the possession statistics of the Confed Cup and World Cup games, as well as the three most recent friendlies.

In the Confed Cup:

In World Cup 2018:

Germany 0-1 Brazil 63 percent

"Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!" - Red Queen, Alice - Through the Looking-Glass
RedQueen
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby America USA » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:46 pm

RedQueen wrote:I looked up the possession statistics of the Confed Cup and World Cup games, as well as the three most recent friendlies.

In the Confed Cup:

In World Cup 2018:

Germany 0--1 Brazil 63 percent

That Löw is an idiot?

German players are tailor made for vertical direct football and not passive horizontal backwards passing game. The fact that he lost his mind in just a year and repeated the same most in all three games is testimony to his foolishness!
America USA
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby RedQueen » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:55 pm

Tell that to the German football community. There's currently a crusade against the pressing/gegenpressing/counterattacking game, with pundits and football officials arguing that the reason for the weakness of the Bundesliga in European competitions is that we have too few possession oriented teams. It's hardly just Löw who has "lost his mind" here. IMO that's Guardiola's heritage.

Hasenhüttl is another one of the casualties. He tried the same thing as Löw (against the resistance of his DOF) and failed.
RedQueen
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Germany

Postby ramsej84 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:02 pm

RedQueen wrote:Tell that to the German football community. There's currently a crusade against the pressing/gegenpressing/counterattacking game, with pundits and football officials arguing that the reason for the weakness of the Bundesliga is that we have too few possession oriented teams. It's hardly just Löw who has "lost his mind" here. IMO that's Guardiola's heritage.

Hasenhüttl is another one of the casualties. He tried the same thing as Löw (against the resistance of his DOF) and failed.
Exactly... Guardiola managed to kill bayern and the German Nt simultaneously... a job well done for la liga and Spain.

Germany won in brazil only because Pep was only there for months...

Remember euro16? Almost eliminated vs a sorry team like italy

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:06 pm

Ralf Rangnick, he can be the ideal successor for the German NT...
With Matthias Sammer as team manager instead of Bierhoff...

Ass. Coach Kuntz from U21

ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Dumbledore7 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:07 pm

RedQueen wrote:Tell that to the German football community. There's currently a crusade against the pressing/gegenpressing/counterattacking game, with pundits and football officials arguing that the reason for the weakness of the Bundesliga in European competitions is that we have too few possession oriented teams. It's hardly just Löw who has "lost his mind" here. IMO that's Guardiola's heritage.

Beautifully put. Most influential coach ever.
Dumbledore7
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Indonesia
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby ramsej84 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:11 pm

Dumbledore7 wrote:
RedQueen wrote:Tell that to the German football community. There's currently a crusade against the pressing/gegenpressing/counterattacking game, with pundits and football officials arguing that the reason for the weakness of the Bundesliga in European competitions is that we have too few possession oriented teams. It's hardly just Löw who has "lost his mind" here. IMO that's Guardiola's heritage.

Beautifully put. Most influential coach ever.
So you still worshipping the Catalan (read charlatan) coach

ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby RB624 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:49 pm

tflags wrote:
RB624 wrote:
America USA wrote:This is absolutely the worst Germany has ever done at a World Cup in eternity! Most people alive today weren’t even born in 1938. This is a monumental disaster and there is no sugarcoating that bitter reality!

And actually this was worse than 1938 anyway. In 1938 they at least reached the final 16, as the tournament involved 15 teams. And Switzerland didn't knock them out in one match. The first match was a draw, and then Switzerland won the replay.

From what I read it was a straight knockout tournament with very few participating teams. Not really a group stage in that Cup. I'm not sure it is a fair comparison.

Of course the World Cup has gone through changes, but we have to compare them as best as we can.

In 1938, they finished 10th. Look at the FIFA retrospective ranking: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1938_FIFA_World_Cup

In 2018 they finished tied for 22nd. (I assume Serbia will be declared 22nd, and Germany 23rd, since Serbia finished 3rd in their group.)

Then add the facts that:

1) Despite finishing 3rd in 1934, Germany were not thought of as a football powerhouse going into the 1938 World Cup.

2) The 1938 Germany team was full of discord. Although Austria had qualified by their own right, their team was dissolved by the Nazi regime and several of their players were placed in the German team. From all accounts the Austrians represented Germany begrudgingly, and the German players didn't want them there.
RB624
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby America USA » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:57 pm

Germany had the ideal squad to play like Atletico Madrid or how Mexico played against us in the first game.

Stay compact and maintain a solid defensive shape but gegenpress as soon as the opponent enters your half to attack. Press in your own half and as soon as you win the ball look for a vertical pass to the likes of Werner, Reus or Brandt (or Gnabry, Sane and Uth has they been selected) and hit the opponent as fast as possible with no backward passes because sideways/backwards passes allow the opponent to regroup and Park the bus.

When attacking look for long balls to utilize the pace of Werner and Co.

But Löw choose stupid passive tactics.

If Germans want a possession oriented game then I hope this World Cup has brought an end to that discussion. No more Pep style soccer please!
America USA
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby RedQueen » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:22 pm

Well, maybe if Spain get kicked out early again, but unfortunately they're playing Russia next.
RedQueen
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Germany

Postby #12 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:17 pm

RedQueen wrote:
Outis wrote:...firing him now would only serve sole purpose of punishing him.

Yes, guess that's what I was trying to say by stating he doesn't deserve to be fired. He has achieved far too much to deserve to be fired. Especially as imo he definitely isn't the only one at fault.

Besides, or rather: what's more important, as long as there isn't anyone more suitable available, we'd punish ourselves and the team more than we punish him.

@America USA: I didn't say Klinsmann inherited a worse team, I said Klinsmann took over when German football was in a worse state. Big difference. Klinsmann did a lot more than just coach the team, and I have to admit it sometimes angers me when he's being given so much shit in this forum. Yes, he did a bad job when it comes to coaching at Bayern, but I firmly believe we would have never made it in 2014 without the changes he forced through 10 years earlier. And even at Bayern off the pitch he achieved more than many are willing to give him credit for. (BTW the USMNT did what you suggested we do with Löw and fired him; what good has it done them, replacing him with Arena?)

@ramsej: Miro Klose doesn't even has his Fussballlehrer-license. He can't take over the national team.

I think it was more on Löw than the Bäckermeister
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby #12 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:19 pm

ramsej84 wrote:IMO...
Germany only lacks strikers....

No we also lack wingers and Fullbacks, proper DMs, oner or two CBs and I genuinely fear we’re losing our touch in goalies...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby PunkCapitalist » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:20 pm

This explains a lot of the Bayern/Germany deblace. Kovac is not a possession obsessed coach, isn't he? Weird choice

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
PunkCapitalist
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby #12 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:22 pm

Butbut... Butbutbut: Guardiolais SOOOO great, he even has a share in the now more than blurred 2014 German WC triumph!!!!

Butbutbut!!!
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

PreviousNext

Return to German National Team