You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

General German national team thread

Discussions on international matches played by Germany's senior national team and youth teams.
 

Should Joachim Löw remain the German coach?

Yes, he is a great coach.
1
7%
Yes, because at the moment there's not many options.
3
21%
No, he should resign as Germany needs a new direction.
6
43%
No, he should be fired as he's doing a terrible job.
4
29%
 
Total votes : 14

Re: General German national team thread

Postby IsiahRashad » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:44 pm

Jorge wrote:
America USA wrote:Discuss: Which players do you think are almost certain to make the final WC squad?

I can only take three names at this moment; Ter Stegen, Kimmich and Hummels.


Kroos, Boateng, Hector, Sane, Muller, Reus, Gündoğan, Khedira, Ozil, Can, Draxler, Neuer (even on Crutches).............


Werner,Plattenhardt or Halstenberg,Can,Stindl,Goretzka.

I have some doubts over Reus and Mario, but who knows.
Image
User avatar
IsiahRashad
I live on BayernForum.com
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 5281
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:38 pm
National Flag:
Bulgaria
Has thanked: 2175 times
Been thanked: 2421 times
Gender: Male

Re: General German national team thread

Postby MUTU » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:48 pm

Why does Daniel Caligiuri not show up in the list of predicted players for World Cup 2018? He's got the highest WhoScored rating so far this season out of all German players playing in the Bundesliga.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
User avatar
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 36917
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: L-Imqabba, Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 6697 times
Been thanked: 9871 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: General German national team thread

Postby IsiahRashad » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:03 pm

MUTU wrote:Why does Daniel Caligiuri not show up in the list of predicted players for World Cup 2018? He's got the highest WhoScored rating so far this season out of all German players playing in the Bundesliga.


Because he choised to play for Italy some time ago.


Look at this: http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/bund ... gebot.html

http://global.espn.com/football/europea ... up?src=com

Conte named Caligiuri alongside fellow débutant in his preliminary squad for the upcoming UEFA Euro 2016 qualifying match against Croatia. However, Caligiuri was dropped from the squad.

He want's to play for Italy,not Germany.
Image
User avatar
IsiahRashad
I live on BayernForum.com
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 5281
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:38 pm
National Flag:
Bulgaria
Has thanked: 2175 times
Been thanked: 2421 times
Gender: Male

Re: General German national team thread

Postby MUTU » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:41 pm

IsiahRashad wrote:
MUTU wrote:Why does Daniel Caligiuri not show up in the list of predicted players for World Cup 2018? He's got the highest WhoScored rating so far this season out of all German players playing in the Bundesliga.


Because he choised to play for Italy some time ago.


Look at this: http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/bund ... gebot.html

http://global.espn.com/football/europea ... up?src=com

Conte named Caligiuri alongside fellow débutant in his preliminary squad for the upcoming UEFA Euro 2016 qualifying match against Croatia. However, Caligiuri was dropped from the squad.

He want's to play for Italy,not Germany.

But he was never capped for Italy, and this is his last chance to play at a World Cup.

"I am so happy, every footballer dreams of it," Caligiuri told kicker. "I have always said that I will play for the national team which invites me first. And I have big hopes now to be part of the Italy squad."
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
User avatar
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 36917
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: L-Imqabba, Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 6697 times
Been thanked: 9871 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: General German national team thread

Postby IsiahRashad » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:45 pm

MUTU wrote:
IsiahRashad wrote:
MUTU wrote:Why does Daniel Caligiuri not show up in the list of predicted players for World Cup 2018? He's got the highest WhoScored rating so far this season out of all German players playing in the Bundesliga.


Because he choised to play for Italy some time ago.


Look at this: http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/bund ... gebot.html

http://global.espn.com/football/europea ... up?src=com

Conte named Caligiuri alongside fellow débutant in his preliminary squad for the upcoming UEFA Euro 2016 qualifying match against Croatia. However, Caligiuri was dropped from the squad.

He want's to play for Italy,not Germany.

But he was never capped for Italy, and this is his last chance to play at a World Cup.

"I am so happy, every footballer dreams of it," Caligiuri told kicker. "I have always said that I will play for the national team which invites me first. And I have big hopes now to be part of the Italy squad."


I don't think that he is going to make his international debut at 30 yo for a team like Germany.
Image
User avatar
IsiahRashad
I live on BayernForum.com
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 5281
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:38 pm
National Flag:
Bulgaria
Has thanked: 2175 times
Been thanked: 2421 times
Gender: Male

Re: General German national team thread

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:50 pm

IsiahRashad wrote:
MUTU wrote:
IsiahRashad wrote:[quote="MUTU"]Why does Daniel Caligiuri not show up in the list of predicted players for World Cup 2018? He's got the highest WhoScored rating so far this season out of all German players playing in the Bundesliga.


Because he choised to play for Italy some time ago.


Look at this: http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/bund ... gebot.html

http://global.espn.com/football/europea ... up?src=com

Conte named Caligiuri alongside fellow débutant in his preliminary squad for the upcoming UEFA Euro 2016 qualifying match against Croatia. However, Caligiuri was dropped from the squad.

He want's to play for Italy,not Germany.

But he was never capped for Italy, and this is his last chance to play at a World Cup.

"I am so happy, every footballer dreams of it," Caligiuri told kicker. "I have always said that I will play for the national team which invites me first. And I have big hopes now to be part of the Italy squad."


I don't think that he is going to make his international debut at 30 yo for a team like Germany.[/quote]He played in a friendly afaik

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
User avatar
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 33243
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:47 pm
Location: Birkirkara - Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 25423 times
Been thanked: 4997 times
Gender: Male

Re: General German national team thread

Postby MUTU » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:57 pm

IsiahRashad wrote:I don't think that he is going to make his international debut at 30 yo for a team like Germany.

The "team like Germany" has a lot of players who generally play on the left (Sane, Draxler, Reus, Gnabry, Schuerrle, Brandt) but only Bellarabi and to some extent Mueller who generally play on the right.

Trivia: Stefan Kuntz made his Germany debut aged 31, and scored an important goal against England at the Euro 96 three years later.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
User avatar
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 36917
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: L-Imqabba, Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 6697 times
Been thanked: 9871 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: General German national team thread

Postby IsiahRashad » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:10 pm

MUTU wrote:
IsiahRashad wrote:I don't think that he is going to make his international debut at 30 yo for a team like Germany.

The "team like Germany" has a lot of players who generally play on the left (Sane, Draxler, Reus, Gnabry, Schuerrle, Brandt) but only Bellarabi and to some extent Mueller who generally play on the right.

Trivia: Stefan Kuntz made his Germany debut aged 31, and scored an important goal against England at the Euro 96 three years later.
You've got an point, but if you looked how Germany played on the right side in the past years : 3-4-2-1 with Brandt, Stindl and Draxler and ST; 4-3-3 with Thomas on the RW ; 3-5-2 with Brandt, Stindl and Werner /Wagner;

My point is that Low is using Brandt and Draxler on the right side in many flexible systems, while Thomas is playing as an RW in the important games.

Sané is guaranteed starter as an LW, so there is a lot of sense to continue with Brandt, Thomas and Draxler on the right side.

That's my opinion.

Send via carrier pigeon.
Image
User avatar
IsiahRashad
I live on BayernForum.com
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 5281
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:38 pm
National Flag:
Bulgaria
Has thanked: 2175 times
Been thanked: 2421 times
Gender: Male

Re: General German national team thread

Postby Jorge » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:46 pm

MUTU wrote:Trivia: Stefan Kuntz made his Germany debut aged 31, and scored an important goal against England at the Euro 96 three years later.


Good example but under different circumstances:
1) Kuntz had played for Germany youth teams
2) The year before he was called to the NT he had been the top scorer in the BL and Germany did not have a lot of options for striker in the mid 90's after the retirement of Voeller and Klinsmann getting old. Caligiuri has a lot of competition today since Germany is congested in the midfield. Even Bierhoff was a "late bloomer" being called for the first time at age 28.
3) Kuntz had won the Bundeliga and the Pokal with Kaiserlautern, what title Caligiuri has? I think the Pokal with Wolfsburg like 6 years ago.
4) When Kuntz was called for Euro 96 he had some continuity with the NT, calling Caligiuri for Russia in the summer is a gamble since Loew has not worked with him, none most of the NT players and staff.
User avatar
Jorge
I post all the time
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 1781
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:32 pm
Location: Nashville, USA
National Flag:
Åland Islands
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 1053 times
Gender: Male

Re: General German national team thread

Postby MUTU » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:42 pm

Jorge wrote:
MUTU wrote:Trivia: Stefan Kuntz made his Germany debut aged 31, and scored an important goal against England at the Euro 96 three years later.


Good example but under different circumstances:
1) Kuntz had played for Germany youth teams
2) The year before he was called to the NT he had been the top scorer in the BL and Germany did not have a lot of options for striker in the mid 90's after the retirement of Voeller and Klinsmann getting old. Caligiuri has a lot of competition today since Germany is congested in the midfield. Even Bierhoff was a "late bloomer" being called for the first time at age 28.
3) Kuntz had won the Bundeliga and the Pokal with Kaiserlautern, what title Caligiuri has? I think the Pokal with Wolfsburg like 6 years ago.
4) When Kuntz was called for Euro 96 he had some continuity with the NT, calling Caligiuri for Russia in the summer is a gamble since Loew has not worked with him, none most of the NT players and staff.

Killjoy :(

That said, however, if a 30 year old (whoever that is), has a great season, is he not deserving of a place in Russia? As I said, Germany is short on players who's main position is that of a right winger. Caligiuri is, as per WhoScored, the 2nd best German winger this season after Sane who plays as LW, and the best German player overall plying his trade in Germany.

1st Leroy Sane & Toni Kroos (7.56)
3rd Daniel Caligiuri (7.47)
4th Marco Reus (7.41)
5th Shkodran Mustafi (7.39)
6th Joshua Kimmich (7.38)
7th Emre Can (7.35)
8th Mats Hummels (7.29)
9th Philipp Max (7.26)

For the record:
Draxler 7.08
Stindl 7.15
Bellarabi 6.65
Schuerrle 6.99
Gnabry 7.19
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
User avatar
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 36917
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: L-Imqabba, Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 6697 times
Been thanked: 9871 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: General German national team thread

Postby Jorge » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:53 pm

5th Shkodran Mustafi (7.39) :roll:
User avatar
Jorge
I post all the time
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 1781
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:32 pm
Location: Nashville, USA
National Flag:
Åland Islands
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 1053 times
Gender: Male

Re: General German national team thread

Postby Jorge » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:21 pm

MUTU wrote:That said, however, if a 30 year old (whoever that is), has a great season, is he not deserving of a place in Russia?


I know that you are trying to make a case for Gomez :cry: but it is not black and white. I think the "whoever that is" matters.

Let's say that Gomez himself cracks it week after week the rest of the season, I have no question in my mind that he is in: every one knows what an in-form Gomez can provide. Now imagine Bremen's 30 year old Philipp Bargfrede having a great season.....I am sure under certain circumstances Loew would look at him but 100 days before the World Cup and with Germany's depth......... it will be like Philipp who?
BTW, Bargfrede played for Germany U21 a decade ago.
Last edited by Jorge on Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Jorge
I post all the time
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 1781
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:32 pm
Location: Nashville, USA
National Flag:
Åland Islands
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 1053 times
Gender: Male

Re: General German national team thread

Postby MUTU » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:28 pm

Jorge wrote:
MUTU wrote:That said, however, if a 30 year old (whoever that is), has a great season, is he not deserving of a place in Russia?


I know that you are trying to make a case for Gomez :cry:

No, I really am not. I meant an uncapped 30 year old.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
User avatar
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 36917
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: L-Imqabba, Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 6697 times
Been thanked: 9871 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: General German national team thread

Postby America USA » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:26 pm

IMO Gomez at his best is (slightly) better than Wagner at his best.

Wagner does have the size advantage (he is taller than Mario) but Gomez seems to be a better finisher. Also Gomez has more experience with the NT than Wagner.
User avatar
America USA
I post all the time
 
Years of membership
 
Posts: 2452
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 452 times
Been thanked: 722 times

Re: General German national team thread

Postby MUTU » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:35 pm

America USA wrote:IMO Gomez at his best is (slightly) better than Wagner at his best.

Wagner does have the size advantage (he is taller than Mario) but Gomez seems to be a better finisher.

Gomez at his best was in 2012/13 when he finished the DFB Pokal as topscorer with a goalscoring rate of 1 goal every 12 minutes of playing time. No other player at any place at any time has been able to replicate anything close to that. His goalscoring ratios put Gerd f00kin' Mueller to shame.

Gomez is a far cry from his best nowadays, and Wagner probably has the edge now, but if Gomez returns to "his best", in my books he'd bench every striker. Wagner is definitely no exception, it's not like we're talking about Cristiano Ronaldo.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
User avatar
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 36917
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: L-Imqabba, Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 6697 times
Been thanked: 9871 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

PreviousNext

Return to German National Team

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests