You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Borussia Dortmund

Discussions on German clubs and football. Want to hear more about Borussia Dortmund, Schalke, Bayer Leverkusen and other Bundesliga teams? Find it all here.

Re: Borussia Dortmund

Postby Borusse » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:31 pm

Nah, the squad is not getting better every year. But I do like this squad better than the one we had in seasons 16/17 and 17/18 even though Tuchel did a great job in 16/17.

We had a top team in years 2012-2016. The current team is definitely not as strong as it was back then.

Hopefully we will manage to strenghen the squad with:
- Halstenberg (very solid option, should do well in a 3-5-2 system)
- St. Juste (another solid player for CB and RB if needed)
- Malen (kind of a replacement for Sancho but not exactly the same kind of player, he should do well in a 3-5-2 as a second striker)

And our team might look something like this next season:

Kobel - Akanji, Hummels, Halstenberg - Meunier?? ( :( ), Dahoud, Bellingham, Guerreiro - Reus - Malen, Haaland
There's also Witsel
There's also Brandt in whom I still naively believe because I love players of his profile, creative, speeding up the game, direct passes through to middle etc.
There's also Moukoko, Reyna etc.

What are my worries?
1. I feel like too much depends on two players -> Reus and Dahoud. It's normal that a team needs their key players to perform. But here it's not clear if they will manage to perform on the highest level.
Reus is 32, he's not as quick as he used to be. Yes, he has played very well since March but it's not certain he will stay on this level. If he doesn't then we have a problem because I don't see a good replacement for him.
Dahoud on the other hand is still young and he is definitely talented but so far he hasn't managed to prove he can be a key player for us long-term. And if he doesn't perform then again, we don't have another creative midfielder like him who can dictate the flow of the game.
So I feel like we're kind of forced to just risk it and cross our fingers for them. If these two perform, we should do well this season. If they don't, we can be in trouble.

2. Meunier - not sure what are Rose's plans with him. Recently Zorc said that the club talked to the player and Meunier is very self-critical after last season. The club told him they expect better performances. It would be a bit naive to believe we can rely on him as a first-choice right wing-back. But for now I don't see other options. So I'm not sure what Rose is going to do about it, who's going to play on the right in a 3-5-2 system. Are we even going to play in 3-5-2 system? There are some question marks here.

3. Kobel - the news is he is talented, he is loud on the pitch, has character and that all sounds great. But we really need him to perform. Who knows, maybe it turns out he will be a key player for us. It is often said that a leader-type keeper makes the defence a lot stronger, more organised etc. Hopefully he steps up to the challenge.

I see a lot of potential in this team but there are also some doubts. Hopefully Rose will do well enough to make us into a very strong and organised team. I don't expect us to challenge for trophies, first and foremost it would be nice to get back the second spot in the league ahead of Leipzig. If we do that next season then that already would be a very solid result.
Borusse
Borussia Dortmund Supporter

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Poland

Postby Ottomeister87 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:07 pm

Borusse wrote:Nah, the squad is not getting better every year. But I do like this squad better than the one we had in seasons 16/17 and 17/18 even though Tuchel did a great job in 16/17.

We had a top team in years 2012-2016. The current team is definitely not as strong as it was back then.

Hopefully we will manage to strenghen the squad with:
- Halstenberg (very solid option, should do well in a 3-5-2 system)
- St. Juste (another solid player for CB and RB if needed)
- Malen (kind of a replacement for Sancho but not exactly the same kind of player, he should do well in a 3-5-2 as a second striker)

And our team might look something like this next season:

Kobel - Akanji, Hummels, Halstenberg - Meunier?? ( :( ), Dahoud, Bellingham, Guerreiro - Reus - Malen, Haaland
There's also Witsel
There's also Brandt in whom I still naively believe because I love players of his profile, creative, speeding up the game, direct passes through to middle etc.
There's also Moukoko, Reyna etc.

What are my worries?
1. I feel like too much depends on two players -> Reus and Dahoud. It's normal that a team needs their key players to perform. But here it's not clear if they will manage to perform on the highest level.
Reus is 32, he's not as quick as he used to be. Yes, he has played very well since March but it's not certain he will stay on this level. If he doesn't then we have a problem because I don't see a good replacement for him.
Dahoud on the other hand is still young and he is definitely talented but so far he hasn't managed to prove he can be a key player for us long-term. And if he doesn't perform then again, we don't have another creative midfielder like him who can dictate the flow of the game.
So I feel like we're kind of forced to just risk it and cross our fingers for them. If these two perform, we should do well this season. If they don't, we can be in trouble.

2. Meunier - not sure what are Rose's plans with him. Recently Zorc said that the club talked to the player and Meunier is very self-critical after last season. The club told him they expect better performances. It would be a bit naive to believe we can rely on him as a first-choice right wing-back. But for now I don't see other options. So I'm not sure what Rose is going to do about it, who's going to play on the right in a 3-5-2 system. Are we even going to play in 3-5-2 system? There are some question marks here.

3. Kobel - the news is he is talented, he is loud on the pitch, has character and that all sounds great. But we really need him to perform. Who knows, maybe it turns out he will be a key player for us. It is often said that a leader-type keeper makes the defence a lot stronger, more organised etc. Hopefully he steps up to the challenge.

I see a lot of potential in this team but there are also some doubts. Hopefully Rose will do well enough to make us into a very strong and organised team. I don't expect us to challenge for trophies, first and foremost it would be nice to get back the second spot in the league ahead of Leipzig. If we do that next season then that already would be a very solid result.

That is everything that is wrong with this whole BVB joke.. That mentality, because they live that inside of the club perfectly.. They dont have the balls to make a challenge to Bayern, with the money they generate from transfers they should have that option.
Ottomeister87
I post all the time

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Borusse » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:52 pm

It's called being realistic.
Borusse
Borussia Dortmund Supporter

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Poland

Postby DRvad14 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:05 am

DRvad14
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ramsej84 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:13 pm

How are they doing in their pre season?
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Ottomeister87 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:21 pm

2 lost 1 won
Ottomeister87
I post all the time

National Flag:
Germany

Postby DRvad14 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:51 pm

DRvad14
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby aterford » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:15 pm

Good player but not sure why they would be moving for a LB as they are doing okay there (Guerreiro of course, then Schulz and Schmelzer) unless they intend to have him as a CB...but they are in desperate need of a *right* back (sound familiar?). Meunier is worse than Pavard and even Sarr isn't Passlack-level...
God Bless Thomas Müller
aterford
I live on BayernForum.com

Postby #12 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:54 am

Oh my, Leipzig are getting shred to pieces…
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Previous

Return to Football in Germany