You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Ballon d'Or

Discussions about anything in general about Bayern, such as tactics, finances, kits, merchandise etc.

Re: Ballon d'Or

Postby Borusse » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:27 am

It's good Modric won. I think the award should go to a player that was most successful and key to their club/country in a particular year. If the award had to go to the best player in the world with no consideration for titles etc. it should go to Messi pretty much every year with some rare exceptions like maybe Ronaldo in 2016.

So would be nice if they specified what this award is about because every year I hear people complain about the ranking - "why is Messi 5th, what a joke" and they've got a point because he's obviously better than 5th in the world. For me he's the greatest but I understand why he ended up being 5th. However they should make it clear that this award is not about the most skilled player but the most successful one.
Borusse
Borussia Dortmund Supporter

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Poland

Postby shpati_L1 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:43 am

It's good that Modric won but Ribery and Sneijder should have won a few years ago too.
shpati_L1
2016/17 & 2012/13 Prediction Games Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Albania

Postby tuscanybayern » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:06 pm

The whole FIFA Ballon d'Or is scum,

2010) Iniesta/Sneijder
2011) Messi
2012) Xavi/Iniesta
2013) Ribery
2014) Neuer
2015) Messi

Which means: 3 Ballon d'or for Cristiano, 3 for Messi. They are both extraordinary players, someone thought that Neymar could be the next big thing and guess what? He's 26 and yet has not achieved 1/5 of what these players had achieved at 26 and will most likely never worth 1/5 of Messi and Ronaldo. This just to say how outstanding they are, but I just cannot live in a football world where these two combined have 10 ballon d'or while Xavi+Iniesta=0.
IMHO, no one should have more than 3.
tuscanybayern
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:56 pm

Hegerberg Ballon d'Or award tarnished by 'twerk' request [source]
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby aterford » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:10 pm

Congrats to Modric but I'm not sure he was any more deserving than Sneijder, Ribery, perhaps even Iniesta...

For me the Ballon d'Or should not be measured by team success. I think the simplest and most consistent standard is this: who performed the best in the past year? I consider it to be similar to a most valuable player/most outstanding player award in other sports. In such cases, we should consider individual performance to be the first and most important measure. Team successes should come well after this. I think the Bd'Or per its original intent was also the above given definition: to honor the player who put in the best performances over the previous year.

In that regard I see very little basis to award it to Modric. Perhaps voters were simply bored of Messi and Ronaldo? Perhaps they decided that in a World Cup year they'd consider World Cup performance to be the most important defining factor? I'm not sure that there was any point last season where Modric was better for Madrid than Ronaldo was. That's the majority of the season, right there. Similarly, without counting simply on the basis of trophies won or how far he went in the WC - I'm not sure there's much of a statistical argument for placing him ahead of Messi (much less Messi in 5th, which is a total sham).

If "Best Player in the World" is determined by how well your *team* performs, then sure, Modric is a fine choice. If "Best Player in the World" is measured by how well *one player* performs, then I'm not convinced they got it right.
#BigFlickEnergy
aterford
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:28 pm

I actually think Modric has been overrated a bit this season and him winning the Ballon D'Or is a bit of a statement (Ronaldo isn't playing for Real anymore, after all). There have certainly been other players who deserved to break the Messi-Ronaldo streak before.

Don't get me wrong he was fantastic but not so clearly above everyone else to win literally every single individual award. I'm glad someone else finally won it, but let's face it, Ronaldo has been better than him since the world cup.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Bayernbazi » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:10 am

Modric: I'm leaving for Inter.
Perez: I'll buy you the Ballon d'Or.
Modric: Well, I'm staying.
Bayernbazi
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby aterford » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:04 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:I actually think Modric has been overrated a bit this season and him winning the Ballon D'Or is a bit of a statement (Ronaldo isn't playing for Real anymore, after all). There have certainly been other players who deserved to break the Messi-Ronaldo streak before.

Don't get me wrong he was fantastic but not so clearly above everyone else to win literally every single individual award. I'm glad someone else finally won it, but let's face it, Ronaldo has been better than him since the world cup.

This. And if we're talking about most successful and/or important to his team, why not Varane? Every bit as important to Madrid winning UCL as Modric and then some, AND played all 90 minutes in every game, heading up what was literally one of the best defenses in WC history en route to winning it all.

If it's on basis of individual success, Messi, Ronaldo, perhaps others probably have to come ahead.
If it's on the basis of team achievements, someone like Varane or perhaps even Griezmann should be given the nod.
#BigFlickEnergy
aterford
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby IsiahRashad » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:32 pm

Nothing more to add. Image
IsiahRashad

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Bulgaria

Postby FootballTopScorers » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:37 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5h5bfkTQ04

Robert Lewandowski first 10 goals in Bundesliga 2018/2019

24-08-2018 Hoffenheim - 1 goal
01-09-2018 VfB Stuttgar - 1 goal
22-09-2018 Schalke 04 - 1 goal
20-10-2018 Wolfsburg - 2 goals
10-11-2018 Borussia Dortmund - 2 goals
08-12-2018 Nuernberg - 2 goals
15-12-2018 Hannover 96 - 1 goal
FootballTopScorers
Hey, I'm new here!

Years of membership

Postby America USA » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:39 am

I’ve seen Social Media’s useful idiots reference this Award as a measure of “greatness” or being the “best”

This award is a bloody joke and has been for a while. LOL at anyone who takes these awards seriously :lol:
America USA
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Previous

Return to General Bayern Discussion