You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

2015/16 Tactics & Formations Thread

Discussions about anything in general about Bayern, such as tactics, finances, kits, merchandise etc.

Re: 2015/16 Tactics & Formations Thread

Postby PunkCapitalist » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:02 pm

quaazi wrote:I wrote a wee article on Pep's likely system for the season to come.

(it was written before the Wolfsburg match, but I maintain that Alonso, once Thiago, Vidal, Martinez are fully fit and integrated, will no longer be a starting player)

This is precisely what I think is the way to go. *Maybe Benatia for Bernat and Alaba on the LWB, maybe Götze behind Le-Mü and, well, injuries could change things a lot, but this is the basic framework from which I expect Pep to work. You highlight something remarkably important which has not been mentioned much in regards to the Supercup: there was no effective pressing, and without effective pressing our setup falls to pieces. Maybe the players aren't fit yet or they remain in vacations mode or maybe they just didn't give a damn about the game, but they were not pressing like they should.
PunkCapitalist
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby albanian7 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:11 pm

Curious: Why is widely believed that Basti was the one to ask for the 4-2-4 against Real?
To be honest, when I read that part in Pep Confidential, I immediately thought of him first. But then, it looks unlikely that he'd ask for a double pivot of him and Kroos, which never worked - not for Bayern, not for the NT. Has there been any media report that implying he was the main influence behind that match?
albanian7
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Firefox1234 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:04 pm

I didn't want to go too off topic in the Pep thread but I wanted to clarify about Pep's system needing goals to work. It's obvious a high line and high press makes us vulnerable in the attack but the offensive output is incredible. You can have four and sometimes even five attacking players on the pitch to score goals and that is why it was so and is successful at Barca. When you have goal machines like Suarez, Neymar and probably the greatest player ever you don't only choke out teams with possession but your also gonna be up 3 or 4 goals that sap the morale of the opposition so even with the rare counter that breaks the offside trap, theoretically the team should be up by multiple goals so that it doesn't make that much of a difference. Obviously things can be different in practice but that is the gist of how it should work.

This system puts a lot of pressure on your attacking players to convert and when they fail to be clinical things can go pretty bad and that is just too much pressure put on your defenders. So I'm looking at you guys Muller, Lewa, Gotze, Robben, Costa, Ribery and co. to step up score goals!
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby PunkCapitalist » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:22 pm

More than scoring and being clinical, I think it is about regaining possession as fast as possible and attacking ALL THE TIME. We looked bad whenever we did not press aggressively and kept the attacking momentum. Pep is a coach who likes to "attack, attack, attack".
PunkCapitalist

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Firefox1234 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:43 pm

PunkCapitalist wrote:More than scoring and being clinical, I think it is about regaining possession as fast as possible and attacking ALL THE TIME. We looked bad whenever we did not press aggressively and kept the attacking momentum. Pep is a coach who likes to "attack, attack, attack".

End of the day goals win games PERIOD. Bayern can win the ball back as much as they want but if those chances aren't being converted to goals then every time a team breaks the offside trap were gonna be sweating buckets because we find ourselves down 0-1 instead of potentially being up by 3 or 4 goals thanks to the high press and flooded box with attacking players.

Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya

Postby 1911 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:20 pm

I think this is our strongest & most universal formation available. I like the idea of using Martinez in an inverted sweeper role, like Busquets in Barca. As I said in another post, he should treat the position like a freeflowing #10 of the defense, much like how David Luiz played when he was in DMF at Chelsea.

As for subs, Ribery can switch with Costa. Costa or Gotze can fill in for Robben. Gotze can switch with Muller. Thiago or Rode can switch with Vidal. Alonso or Kimmich can switch with Martinez. Raf for Lahm, Bernat for Alaba.
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby Firefox1234 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:22 pm

Love the look of the formation, Martinez in a back three is most effective when given that free role. But to be honest the biggest problem with our defenders is they seem to rarely feature at the same time and not cause of lack of skill.

Firefox1234

National Flag:
Kenya

Postby 1911 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:43 pm

Firefox1234 wrote:Love the look of the formation, Martinez in a back three is most effective when given that free role. But to be honest the biggest problem with our defenders is they seem to rarely feature at the same time and not cause of lack of skill.

Absolutely and unfortunately true. For Buli, Alonso could fill in the Javi role. For CL, if Javi is out, I think Alaba would be the ideal replacement, but then we lose him on the left. I'm also thinking we can mold Kimmich to that role. I do not like Javi as a traditional CB, and do not see him as an ideal sub for BOA/BEN.
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby PunkCapitalist » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:46 pm

No Thiago is a no-go. Maybe Alaba alongside Javi and Boa with Costa filling in on the entire left side is our best option.
PunkCapitalist

Postby 1911 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:03 pm

PunkCapitalist wrote:No Thiago is a no-go. Maybe Alaba alongside Javi and Boa with Costa filling in on the entire left side is our best option.

Thiago can switch with Vidal. As we have a wealth of midfielders, many of which happen to be injury prone, I think we should rotate the squad more often. Vidal or Thiago would thrive with the additional space to move in this formation.
Yeah, now I'm talking!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby #12 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:09 pm

I think the plan is to have the DM switch between his traditional role and falling back into the 4 man defense... That would create another spot in midfield and reduce the number of CBs to one... I also think that's Guardiola's preferred formation which he'll adapt from time to time...
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby ottackon » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:26 pm

ottackon

National Flag:
Morocco

Postby quaazi » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:39 pm

Huh, good spots those. The first one perhaps a good example to shut up complainers re: backwards passes.
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby Firefox1234 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:17 am

Wait....but....but....all Pep wants Bayern to do is play back passes....

Firefox1234

National Flag:
Kenya

Postby #12 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:00 am

I can only speak for myself here and what bothers me is not scenes like that one (where Guardiola is right to be pissed IMHO) but it's more in the last third where we make too little out of the possession we have sometimes...
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

PreviousNext

Return to General Bayern Discussion