You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

2014/15 Tactics & Formations Thread

Discussions about anything in general about Bayern, such as tactics, finances, kits, merchandise etc.

Re: 2014/15 Tactics & Formations Thread

Postby Dalv » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:01 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Everyone fit (after we sign Benatia):

At the moment:

I think this is what Guardiola is planning.

this scares me greatly, 3 at the back didnt work vs BvB at all, we saw happened to ManUtd using it vs 3rd league team.

so what are the pros for such formation today? I see only cons

and I really dont understand why everyone embraces it just like that jumping into the loving bandwagon when jupp showed 4-2-3-1 is clearly the way to go today and we have the perfect players for that system
Dalv
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:29 pm

Dalv wrote:this scares me greatly, 3 at the back didnt work vs BvB at all, we saw happened to ManUtd using it vs 3rd league team.

so what are the pros for such formation today? I see only cons

The 3 at the back worked the first time vs BVB. :) I have not been convinced with it so far in pre-season either but with Benatia it is worth another try.

It is useless to look at United's results to attack the 3-4-3. Very, very few teams have the right players to play that in a dominant way. We happen to be one of them. Let's consider this hypothetical lineup:

We have the best goalkeeper in the world, guarded by not 2 but 3 of the world's best CBs. Our LCB and RCB have experience playing as LB and RB respectively, which should help them cover their space. On the wings we have the world's best RB and what in my opinion is a very talented LB (he showed glimpses of it in the last match, and he was very good in Spain). Our CMs are very good defenders AND are also good offensively and both of them have experience playing on the wings as well.

This would be the culmination of at least 5 years' work, where we finally perfect the art of total football that Van Gaal introduced 5 years ago. Already we saw a hint of it against Wolfsburg, where it seemed that some of our players did not have an actual position and everyone was all over the pitch. I supsect it's what Guardiola wants. This is where he starts taking advantage of the experience of all of our players playing in different positions. The above-mentioned lineup (the one in this post, without Thiago) gives us what should on paper be the strongest team in the world defensively. It's hard to get past that midfield, hard to get past that defence, and hardest of all to get past that goalkeeper. We should be the strongest team defensively with a formation that is more offensive than most.

The best thing about the 3-4-3, and the reason I love the formation and have wanted Bayern to try it for years (since LVG's second season) is that it is the only formation that is symmetrical both vertically and horizontally. This makes it very flexible and with the right players, coach, and tactics, deadly. I will repeat what I have said before: we should (I would even say need to) continue experimenting with this and perfecting it, however, the moment we start playing bad consistently we must revert back to a 4-2-3-1. And that's precisely the awesome thing about this squad. We can play both with a world-class lineup.

As for the pros of this formation in the modern day, I'd like to refer you to this post.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Dalv » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:18 pm

There are many problems with this. Players like Alaba are not playing on the position they give the most efficiency, on the wings that is. And why would Alaba play CM anyway when there are others more suitable there? It's a waste. Secondly, our main weapons in attack used to be the wings and Alaba/Lahm doubling Ribery/Robben. Remember the chemistry Ribery and Alaba had on the left flank? It's now gone / not taken advantage of. Like you said in that other post, our wings would be more centralized now, this means slowly passing the ball and trying to find breaches into an overloaded defense.
But yeah, being able to switch formation more easily now confusing the opponent may be the key. I sure hope so.
Dalv
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:24 pm

Alaba is a very good CM and he plays there for the NT. It is actually his natural position. It's true that he is the world's best LB, but if Bernat plays very well it might be better for the team to play the two of them. Time will tell.

As for the wings comment, it is simply a different way of doing things. Robben has played well when he's been given a more central role, and Ribery is at this point a bit of a question mark. It's possible that the wing system is better, but we now have very good central players as well (Lewandowski, Gotze, Muller). Keep in mind that if things are not working out it is very easy to sub out a CB for a forward and immediately get a 4-2-3-1.

With Bernat we have someone who seems to be a better crosser than Alaba, so we'd have two wingbacks that can feed Lewandowski and/or Muller with lots of balls. Alaba would still be close to Ribery if he plays and will surely make runs alongside the touchline as well anyway. Not to mention Neuer, Badstuber, and Boateng all have very good long balls (dunno about Benatia) so they can get the ball up quickly. The more central wingers should, in theory, make it harder to get dispossessed and easier to pass the ball. That does not mean we cannot be direct. A pass from Neuer to Badstuber to Alaba to Ribery to Lewandowski to goal does not need to take more than a few seconds.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:11 pm

First formation I leave out Ribery.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Ottomeister13 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:28 pm

How will anyone get past that midfield haha
Ottomeister13

Postby JJJ » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:38 pm

Ottomeister13 wrote:How will anyone get past that midfield haha

Früchtl
Hummels, Badstuber, Alaba
Müller, Fein, Kroos, Can, Schöpf
Wagner, Zirkzee

JJJ
I post all the time

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby JANCKER » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:39 pm

I believe we'll be using Alonso more than we think, not that I'm contrary to it. He may not be in some promising years, but he's got class and RM will regret letting him go more than we'll regret letting go Kroos. Giving a lesson to RM sounds great, it wouldn't be the first time.
JANCKER

Postby JANCKER » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:45 pm

JJJ wrote:
Ottomeister13 wrote:How will anyone get past that midfield haha

The master of diving vs monsters of midfield.
JANCKER

Postby Ottomeister13 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:33 pm

Haha remember him never getting passed Lahm.. at all on RB :D
Ottomeister13

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:05 pm

MUTU wrote:

First formation I leave out Ribery.

Heck yeah!! :D =P~
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby JANCKER » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:09 pm

If you know what I mean.
(Can't wait to try it on RM)

Spoiler: show
Last edited by JANCKER on Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JANCKER

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:29 pm

I think that for the time being we might see something similar to this

or

U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Rauntšik » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:43 pm

While Schewinsteiger is fit, I hope Bernat won't be in the first XI
Rauntšik
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby Firefox1234 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:00 pm

Until Schweinstiger, Martinez and Thiago are fully fit I expect to see something like this:

Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

National Flag:
Kenya

PreviousNext

Return to General Bayern Discussion