You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

2013/2014 Tactics & formations thread

Discussions about anything in general about Bayern, such as tactics, finances, kits, merchandise etc.

Re: 2013/2014 Tactics & formations thread

Postby Firefox1234 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:24 pm

Badger wrote:In the past week or so, I’ve missed dropping in to Bayern Forum to see what the news and views are, because I’ve been away on holiday (in Cornwall). There have been some great wins in that period, all of which I managed to watch at some point.

I have been thinking that Pep’s situation at the moment can described as neither “an injury crisis”, on the one hand, nor as “optimal”, on the other hand. He has a few star players out injured, but Bayern’s strength in depth is so good that the team keeps winning just the same, so it isn’t an injury crisis. And although he keeps winning, the missing stars are still a major part of his plans, so the formation and selection of players may still not be what he’d regard as optimal. It is maybe best described as “sub-optimal”. And when managers are in such situations, it is very hard for anyone to predict what they’ll do with players and formations in the next part of the season. Bayern, I think, is still in quite a state of flux just now.

Players: Many players have had long enough to demonstrate how well they can play under Guardiola’s tactics, and it would seem as if, for example, Boateng and Kroos have mastered this, while Mueller is still struggling. Will Guardiola swap such players for returning players – in these cases Boateng for Martinez, or Kroos for Alcantara or Goetze? The preferred first XI that we, and perhaps Guardiola too, would have guessed at the start of the season may no longer be the preferred first XI. It is an interesting time. I’m keen to see who will be regarded as having played well enough to hold a starting position in the big games.

Formations: Guardiola played 4-2-3-1 at times, and some people (elsewhere) claimed that Guardiola had seen his mistake and was moving from 4-1-4-1. I’m far from convinced. 4-3-2-1 was played partly out of necessity, caused by the injury situation, but 4-1-4-1, perhaps with a shuttle player moving constantly between the double-six and double-eight positions, is looking better with each game. I’d imagine that Guardiola believes that his players can master it and, with a fuller squad, will have it nearly perfected in a few more months. Time will tell.

At any rate, the pressure on players to keep giving 100% is very high, and that should translate into results. I’m beginning to think that there could be some silverware even in this season.

Welcome back! It was very refreshing to read your post :mrgreen:

Their was some points you made i found very interesting and that was the one about the shuttle player who shifts between an eight and a six and how Pep's original preferred starting XI may have changed. I think Kroos and Schweinstiger are locked in as the starting CMs in Pep's system since they have shown how flexible they are in attack and defense. Muller sadly has not been able to adjust and will probably be relegated to a super sub role for the time being. Maybe its to early to judge Gotze since this is his first season in a new team and system so ill hold off on that but Thiago has looked a lot more polished than Muller and Gotze as a CM in a 4-1-4-1 even though he is on a new team and i think he deserves some playing time if he is able to reach peak fitness.

Like i said before, i still think Martinez and Schweinstiger in the midfield makes Bayern nearly unstoppable but i see Pep playing him with Boateng and Schweinstiger as a DM so has as much creative talent on the pitch. I would prefer Thiago over Gotze or Muller cause he is more comfortable performing midfield duties like rotating between an #8 or #6 and i think a midfield trio of Schwein/Kroos/Thiago provides the perfect balance between attack and defense.....

Badger wrote:Can polls be set up in threads here? If so, and if nobody has set it up in some other thread already, could we have a poll on which player we think will play most of the season in the lone holding midfielder role? (Assumes voters think 4-1-4-1 will be the formation for the majority of the season.) The options, in alphabetical order, could be:
- Alcantara
- Kirchhoff
- Kroos
- Lahm
- Martinez
- Schweinsteiger

Edit: If it can't be done on Bayern Forum, and if it were of interest to others, I'd consider running a monthly survey of 4-6 questions on all things Bayern, using something like SurveyMonkey and linking it to Bayern Forum (and only to Bayern Forum). But please do indicate an interest now: like this post/comment/PM me. If only 2-3 are interested it wouldn't be worth trying it at all.

Any mods out their to make this happen?
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby MoFattal » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:29 pm

Badger wrote:Edit: If it can't be done on Bayern Forum, and if it were of interest to others, I'd consider running a monthly survey of 4-6 questions on all things Bayern, using something like SurveyMonkey and linking it to Bayern Forum (and only to Bayern Forum). But please do indicate an interest now: like this post/comment/PM me. If only 2-3 are interested it wouldn't be worth trying it at all.

We'll join forces over here ;)
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:03 pm

You can include polls in topics, but this a generic topic so we can't have a poll here. Perhaps you could make a new thread.

To answer your question, I believe Martinez will take that role with Schweinsteiger and Kroos as the more offensive CMs. Gotze/Muller/Thiago might break into the team at some point.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby SchwanMunich » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:14 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:You can include polls in topics, but this a generic topic so we can't have a poll here. Perhaps you could make a new thread.

To answer your question, I believe Martinez will take that role with Schweinsteiger and Kroos as the more offensive CMs. Gotze/Muller/Thiago might break into the team at some point.

Agreed. Martinez with Schweinesteiger and Kroos. I think Bayern are at their best when Schweinesteiger and Martinez are in the middle although the team looked really good with Lahm/Schweine/Kroos this past weekend. We have a bunch of options and that is an excellent problem to have :lol:
SchwanMunich
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Borusse » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:15 pm

I sooo want to see that "breaking into the team" part. :D

Already can imagine Pep putting Kroos, Thiago and Gotze in one row, telling them something like this: "Thiago, Mario, you will play against Augsburg in the league and Im picking Kroos for the Champions League game against Real".

Im sure everyone of them will be left happy after such a good :pep: talk. :D
Borusse
Borussia Dortmund Supporter

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Poland

Postby MoFattal » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:34 am

Nah, we'll just keep on having "convenient" injuries throughout the season ;)
MoFattal

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby Badger » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:00 am

Firefox1234 wrote:Welcome back! It was very refreshing to read your post :mrgreen:

Their was some points you made i found very interesting and that was the one about the shuttle player who shifts between an eight and a six and how Pep's original preferred starting XI may have changed. I think Kroos and Schweinstiger are locked in as the starting CMs in Pep's system since they have shown how flexible they are in attack and defense. Muller sadly has not been able to adjust and will probably be relegated to a super sub role for the time being. Maybe its to early to judge Gotze since this is his first season in a new team and system so ill hold off on that but Thiago has looked a lot more polished than Muller and Gotze as a CM in a 4-1-4-1 even though he is on a new team and i think he deserves some playing time if he is able to reach peak fitness.

Like i said before, i still think Martinez and Schweinstiger in the midfield makes Bayern nearly unstoppable but i see Pep playing him with Boateng and Schweinstiger as a DM so has as much creative talent on the pitch. I would prefer Thiago over Gotze or Muller cause he is more comfortable performing midfield duties like rotating between an #8 or #6 and i think a midfield trio of Schwein/Kroos/Thiago provides the perfect balance between attack and defense......

Yes, I’d agree that Schweinsteiger and Kroos seem – for now anyway – to be the best candidates for that shuttle-player role. The Schalke game was Schweinsteiger’s first proper game after injury, so Guardiola may have thought Lahm a safer bet as the holding midfielder for that . However, it wouldn’t surprise me too much if Guardiola though Lahm the better player for the role of defensive midfielder and Schweinsteiger more suited to the shuttle-player role in general. That creates a problem when Martinez returns. Guardiola already favoured Martinez as a central defender, but Boating is playing his best football ever and Dante seems to have got over his wobbles and has played excellently in the last two games – two difficult major games against Moscow and Schalke. Moreover, under Guardiola’s tuition Rafinha has started to show the form that had him named in the Bundesliga team of the season a few years ago, and Guardiola thinks well of him, so dropping him to return Lahm to his original right-back role isn’t the obvious option we’d have though a few weeks ago. I think our central defenders this year could be the trio Martinez, Boateng and Dante, in roughly equal amounts of playing time. I could live with that – a tremendous central defence – if Rafinha retains his form. Lahm could then be the first choice defensive midfielder, Schweinsteiger the second choice and Kirchhoff an occasional third choice. Again, if Rafinha can do his bit, it could grow into a tremendous defence, with one player fewer than last season.
"Wherever that man went, he went gratefully."
--------- Attributed to Seamus Heaney ---------
Badger
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
Northern Ireland

Postby Badger » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:01 am

MoFattal wrote:
Badger wrote:Edit: If it can't be done on Bayern Forum, and if it were of interest to others, I'd consider running a monthly survey of 4-6 questions on all things Bayern, using something like SurveyMonkey and linking it to Bayern Forum (and only to Bayern Forum). But please do indicate an interest now: like this post/comment/PM me. If only 2-3 are interested it wouldn't be worth trying it at all.

We'll join forces over here ;)

Apologies, MoFattal, I was unaware of that thread and didn’t realise that someone had already floated the idea. The responses in that thread and the responses to my post would suggest that not many are interested. However, it might be worth trying one survey anyway, to see if an actual survey generates more interest that just describing the idea. If it doesn’t, it can be dropped. If it does, it could be continued on a monthly basis, perhaps. I think that running it weekly would hardly be sustainable. If it were monthly, however, it could contain a player-of-the-month question, which should draw in some interest. Please PM me if you think it worth taking further. I’d be more than happy to collaborate.
"Wherever that man went, he went gratefully."
--------- Attributed to Seamus Heaney ---------
Badger
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
Northern Ireland

Postby Borusse » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:14 am

MoFattal wrote:Nah, we'll just keep on having "convenient" injuries throughout the season ;)

Im afraid so. :|
Borusse
Borussia Dortmund Supporter

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Poland

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:25 am

Borusse wrote:I sooo want to see that "breaking into the team" part. :D

Already can imagine Pep putting Kroos, Thiago and Gotze in one row, telling them something like this: "Thiago, Mario, you will play against Augsburg in the league and Im picking Kroos for the Champions League game against Real".

Im sure everyone of them will be left happy after such a good :pep: talk. :D

Muller and Kroos will play one game while Thiago and Gotze play the other. In the end the big-eared trophy will still be in Munich. :wink:
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby AdepT » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:29 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Muller and Kroos will play one game while Thiago and Gotze play the other. In the end the big-eared trophy will still be in Munich. :wink:

IMO, the pairs of Kroos and Gotze, and Thiago and Mueller alternating matches would be better.
'To be successful, you have to give everything.' - Bastian Schweinsteiger
AdepT
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
India

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:26 pm

if the leva thing happens do you think that this would be possible... 4-2-4

Kroos Thiago Hjojberg the other mdfs. Robben, Gotze, Weihrauch Shaqiri the other 4 men attacking line
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MoFattal » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:48 pm

We have enough formation headaches for this season without Lewandowski, so one step at a time my friend ;)
MoFattal

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:58 pm

MoFattal wrote:We have enough formation headaches for this season without Lewandowski, so one step at a time my friend ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Firefox1234 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:15 pm

ramsej84 wrote:if the leva thing happens do you think that this would be possible... 4-2-4

Kroos Thiago Hjojberg the other mdfs. Robben, Gotze, Weihrauch Shaqiri the other 4 men attacking line

I do no think Pep would ever start out this way but on the rare(and i mean rare :mrgreen: )chance Bayern are down and need a goal badly like in the situation they had vs Chelsea in the UEFA Super Cup then this would be on of those formations to use.
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

National Flag:
Kenya

PreviousNext

Return to General Bayern Discussion