You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

2012/2013 Tactics & formations thread

Discussions about anything in general about Bayern, such as tactics, finances, kits, merchandise etc.

Re: 2012/2013 Tactics & formations thread

Postby Commodore » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:39 pm

Against teams that do basically nothing but parking the bus, I don't think it's even possible to over-rely on our wings where we have players of excellent individual quality. Supported by our fullbacks these can cause mayhem in the opposing defense by beating a defender 1-on-1, or laying it off to the fullback who's occupying the space along the touchline. With the way we are playing this year it's also not unfeasible to switch Ribéry and Robben so we're playing regular wings as opposed to the inverted wings we're playing right now (regarding their stronger foot).

As we have seen in the second leg of Barca - Chelsea having the ability to exploit the wings can be key against teams like that. Now Barca certainly have players that can beat people 1-on-1 and get to the baseline with the ball. What they don't have though, is a player that is able to convert crosses into the box which is crowded with defenders. So they smashed their heads into the Chelsea wall over and over again with limited success.

Our two Marios can convert these crosses, with Mandzukic being one of the strongest headers in the Bundesliga and Gómez having just about the most excellent positioning and reflexes in the game when it comes to converting deflections and loose balls.
"There are two things I am afraid of: War and Oliver Kahn."

-Mehmet Scholl
Commodore
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Firefox1234 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:15 pm

I think its Muller who has made the difference this year more than Mandzukic(i have nothing against him anymore) because Muller has been giving defenses that added pressure down the middle that was lacking last yr since he didnt play well. I think with either Gomez or Mandzukic Bayern can continue with this style of play as long as Muller is playing well either as AM or Winger
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby BayernLove » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:17 pm

You seem to have forgotten Mandzukic's godly through pass to send Robben through. Or his header earlier on...
Jesus saves, but Kahn does it better ;)
BayernLove
I live on BayernForum.com

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby Firefox1234 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:30 pm

BayernLove wrote:You seem to have forgotten Mandzukic's godly through pass to send Robben through. Or his header earlier on...

Hmm...you make a point but who will start when Gomez comes back? I feel like Gomez shud because of all he has done for Bayern. The last guy to score more than Gomez for Bayern Munich in a season i think was Gerd Muller..can someone confirm this for me? :P
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

National Flag:
Kenya

Postby Mazen96 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:57 pm

Firefox1234 wrote: I feel like Gomez shud because of all he has done for Bayern.

No, just.... no. No player should be favored over another player on account of past achievements. Now that we finally have a complete team, we can actually start rotating our players ( Who are all very good players.No exception.) based on form; rather than just using players who are good on paper or players who have "a good record" or have done something for the club.
Last edited by Mazen96 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In guten wie in schlechten Zeiten...
Mazen96
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:08 pm

SouthernStar wrote:As for teams that park the bus, what do you guys suggest we should adapt?

I've been saying this for a very long time: Take more long shots.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Commodore » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:06 pm

Yeah, starting players because of past achievements is ridiculous. Unfortunately very often done still. One example that still pains me is Bastian Schweinsteiger at the EUROS, and I love the dude as much as anyone, but it was blatantly obvious that he was simply burned out beyond recognition.

FCBayernMunchen wrote:I've been saying this for a very long time: Take more long shots.

A team that's parking the bus well, will see to it that you can't do that. parking the bus is not standing with 11 men inside your own box. You can think of Inter 2010 and Chelsea 2012 what you will, but it's a fact that what they did, they did well. They will set themselves up in a 4-6-0 zonal and religiously hold their positions. The two aforementioned teams only had 10 men so for them it was a 4-5-0 morphing into a 6-3-0 with the "wingers", one of whom Drogba, basically playing as fullbacks. They will absolutely lock down the central space for long shots and they won't even try to actually win the ball. They simply try to prevent you from scoring.

If you're able to exploit the wings though, you'll generate danger this way and you'll get a lot of corners as well, and I believe we're a lot stronger in that regard than we were last year.

-Mehmet Scholl
Commodore
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:12 pm

Commodore wrote:A team that's parking the bus well, will see to it that you can't do that. parking the bus is not standing with 11 men inside your own box. You can think of Inter 2010 and Chelsea 2012 what you will, but it's a fact that what they did, they did well. They will set themselves up in a 4-6-0 zonal and religiously hold their positions. The two aforementioned teams only had 10 men so for them it was a 4-5-0 morphing into a 6-3-0 with the "wingers", one of whom Drogba, basically playing as fullbacks. They will absolutely lock down the central space for long shots and they won't even try to actually win the ball. They simply try to prevent you from scoring.

It's a good point, but if they block the ball you can try to capitalize on rebounds, and Gomez is perfect at that. :)
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MoFattal » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:19 pm

Crossing + adding another striker (or DvB) in the box is the answer.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:45 pm

MoFattal wrote:Crossing + adding another striker (or DvB) in the box is the answer.

Yes 2 strikers can also do the trick.

Consider the 4-2-3-1, which is the dominant formation in the Bundesliga.

RB - CB - CB - LB
---- CM - CM---

It's perfect to double mark offensive threats when defending against the same formation. Fullback+CM against wingers, 2 CBs against the striker and 2 CMs (+ possibly a CAM tracking back) against the CAM.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Aequitas1987 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:26 pm

So much talent on the bench. I want to see more of Muller, Shaqiri, Gustavo. No one would want the headaches of Jupp right now.

In order to fit Gustavo in (who is one of my personal fav players) Bayern would have to change to a more unconventional formation. Something like a 3-1-3-3 with Gustavo playing the solo holding midfielder....the pure 'destroyer' role. The other sole CDM formation I can think of is the 4-1-2-1-2 but the diamond wont work with our power in the wings. The 4-3-3 can be employed really well by us but only if Martinez provides as much offensive prowess to justify dropping Muller/Kroos. For selfish purposes I would use our 4-2-3-1 but drop Kroos, Robben and Ribery :twisted:

3-1-3-3
-----------------Neuer---------------
-----Badstuber-Martinez-Boateng---
------------------Gustavo---------------
Lahm-------Schweinsteiger------Alaba
Muller/Robben---Gomez-------Ribery/Shaqiri

4-3-3 (4-1-2-3)
Lahm----Badstuber-Boateng---Alaba
------------------Gustavo---------------
--------Schweinsteiger--Martinez-----
Muller/Robben---Gomez-------Ribery/Shaqiri

4-2-3-1 (No Robbery)
Lahm----Badstuber-Boateng---Alaba
---------Martinez--Gustavo------------
Muller------Schweinsteiger-----Shaqiri-
----------------Gomez-------------------
SoStronk.com
Aequitas1987
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India

Postby Commodore » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:19 am

I know this is not about Bayern, but everyone who's genuinely interested in football strategy, tactics, formations...

... to be honest, interested in football, period, should take the 45 minutes it takes to watch this interview.

I always somewhat admired him for what he'd done at Swansea, but after watching this interview this admiration multiplied tenfold.

Awesome dude this Brendan fella from Northern Ireland.

(I'm sure he'd also do well in a certain city in the south of Germany :D)

-Mehmet Scholl
Commodore
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby mahoni » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:24 am

Commodore wrote:I know this is not about Bayern, but everyone who's genuinely interested in football strategy, tactics, formations...

... to be honest, interested in football, period, should take the 45 minutes it takes to watch this interview.

I always somewhat admired him for what he'd done at Swansea, but after watching this interview this admiration multiplied tenfold.

Awesome dude this Brendan fella from Northern Ireland.

(I'm sure he'd also do well in a certain city in the south of Germany :D)

Thank´s a lot for posting this. It´s just great and the 1st time i´ve heard him. It seems to be a really honest men, I like this guy and his thoughts about taktiks a quiet interesting. But in Munich he could never work without knowing German and I´m sure that he dosen´t know the language, anyway.
mahoni
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:01 am

Don't have time to watch it right now but so far my impression of him is quite good.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MoFattal » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:03 am

^ Mine too. Well, at least until Liverpool ends up on the 8th spot come new year :P
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

National Flag:
Lebanon

PreviousNext

Return to General Bayern Discussion