You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

English football

Discussions on football in other leagues around Europe.

Re: English football

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:51 pm

I think it would be amazing to have those two playing in the EPL ..
prob was back then that they were told to start from the lower tiers... those eng bastards :P :twisted:
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:53 pm

ramsej84 wrote:I think it would be amazing to have those two playing in the EPL ..
prob was back then that they were told to start from the lower tiers... those eng bastards :P :twisted:
Can’t imagine the kind of reception most English teams would get away vs Celtic. :D
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:00 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:I think it would be amazing to have those two playing in the EPL ..
Can’t imagine the kind of reception most English teams would get away vs Celtic. :D

wowwwwwwwwwww amazing ... I was so close to go to that derby Ran v Celt... wow
I love Celtic... I even have their jersey!
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:05 pm

ramsej84 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:

wowwwwwwwwwww amazing ... I was so close to go to that derby Ran v Celt... wow
I love Celtic... I even have their jersey!
For some reason I thought you were a Rangers fan.

In my many times in Glasgow I’ve actually never been close to either stadium but I have seen Rangers fans congregate many times in Orange Marches.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:17 pm

ramsej84 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:I think it’s a good move. Celtic and Rangers are quite historic clubs and joining the EPL will help them become relevant again.
They have been talking about this since ever...

And then what happens if or when Sco becomes Independent?

The same as has happened everywhere where countries split up. See Czechoslovakia for example.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Fénix » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:00 pm

They can't join the English Premier League. They requested few times to join in the last 20-25 years when they were still strong and competitive in European football.

They have their national league, play there and that's why they aren't allow to move.
Fénix

National Flag:
Croatia

Postby Lukas » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:26 pm

I’m intrigued by this Malta has different leagues thing. Can someone explain?

As for the “British Super League”, it has Johnson’s dirty hands all over it. Strongly opposing a “European” league but more than happy to ruin years of tradition with a “British” version. And sorry Ramsej I think they should start from the very bottom if they want to join our league system. It’s a joke and an insult to English clubs that have to work to get to that level, that clubs from another league structure could just walk straight into our top league like that
Lukas
2020/21 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
European Union

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:58 pm

Lukas wrote:I’m intrigued by this Malta has different leagues thing. Can someone explain?

As for the “British Super League”, it has Johnson’s dirty hands all over it. Strongly opposing a “European” league but more than happy to ruin years of tradition with a “British” version. And sorry Ramsej I think they should start from the very bottom if they want to join our league system. It’s a joke and an insult to English clubs that have to work to get to that level, that clubs from another league structure could just walk straight into our top league like that
There are two inhabited islands in the Maltese Archipelago (well, three if you count one family that lives on another) and they have different leagues. It’s pretty stupid considering the second largest island has a total population of a large town in Malta (the island).

I think they have some 14 teams in total and weirdly they are split into two divisions. Not sure why they don’t just play in one league.

In the FA Trophy, then, teams from both islands play together.

I think the reasoning used to be that the gulf in quality is too big, which is true considering they also get eliminated easily by Maltese teams in the KO. Like everywhere else though it’s all about money. For example, the 2019/20 champions in the second island had a very rich president. This season he took over a Maltese team and immediately won them their first league title in several decades (although our league ended prematurely due to Covid). If I’m not mistaken his son is still president of the team in the other island. I’m sure if they wanted they could make that team compete for the league title in Malta as well.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Lukas » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:34 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
Lukas wrote:I’m intrigued by this Malta has different leagues thing. Can someone explain?

There are two inhabited islands in the Maltese Archipelago (well, three if you count one family that lives on another) and they have different leagues. It’s pretty stupid considering the second largest island has a total population of a large town in Malta (the island).

I think they have some 14 teams in total and weirdly they are split into two divisions. Not sure why they don’t just play in one league.

I think the reasoning used to be that the gulf in quality is too big, which is true considering they also get eliminated easily by Maltese teams in the KO. Like everywhere else though it’s all about money. For example, the 2019/20 champions in the second island had a very rich president. This season he took over a Maltese team and immediately won them their first league title in several decades (although our league ended prematurely due to Covid). If I’m not mistaken his son is still president of the team in the other island. I’m sure if they wanted they could make that team compete for the league title in Malta as well.

How interesting, thanks. I always thought Malta was just one island
Lukas

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
European Union

Postby ramsej84 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:08 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:

Gozo ... just checked nine in div one and five in div 2 ()
In the FA Trophy there is always one that reaches the last 16... they are kind of at level of the second tier in Malta.
They would never want to join... they are too proud and prefer to keep maneuvering in their own thing ... if you know what I mean...
The majority of the inhabitants are filthy rich and if they want as fcbm said they can build up squads strong enough to win the title in Malta.

Up until the very first years of the 21st cent they had a selection of players from their league playing in the Maltese league...
They managed to reach the Premier league in 99/2000 ... the year that my team won the first title in our history...
For the record the defeatedt us in Gozo
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:03 am

Lukas wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:

Easy to confuse since we use the name of the biggest island for the country as a whole.

If I’m not mistaken, when I was in primary school we used to be taught that there are 6 islands, but I don’t think it’s correct:
Malta
Gozo - the second biggest
Comino - third biggest, a popular summer swimming destination, only one family lives there
Cominotto - a smaller island just off Comino
Filfla - quite small and uninhabited, used to be bigger but largely destroyed by the British who used it for military exercises. It’s a protected area and despite its proximity to Malta is well known to be one of the few places where sharks (including very large ones, among the largest in the world) are common. I have no idea why they never approach any of the other islands.
Fungus Rock (although the Maltese name translates to the General’s Rock) - also protected, and known for the fungus that grows there. Not sure whether that fungus is unique.

However, I find this classification a bit weird because of the inclusion of the last one. There’s at least one more large rock in Gozo; I would call it a rock more than an island, but if we’re classifying Fungus Rock as an island then that one should be too. Then there are the bigger St Paul’s islands which are very important in Maltese folklore as the place where St Paul was allegedly shipwrecked in the Acts of the Apostles. So I would say the actual number without considerations of size is about 10 islands.

I can’t find the article right now but I read very recently that ancient maps also show another, fairly large island towards the south of Malta which apparently disappeared with time. I can’t remember what the story was, exactly. I do know Malta used to be much bigger (about 3 times as big) but that is mostly before humanity (alrhough we do have signs that it was inhabited by humanity when it was still bigger, such as an underwater temple and cart ruts leading to cliff edges).

Anyway, getting way too off topic now.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:12 am

ramsej84 wrote:The majority of the inhabitants are filthy rich and if they want as fcbm said they can build up squads strong enough to win the title in Malta.

Haha this is a big exaggeration though! I have Gozitans in my family and also a good number of very good friends from there and I can say that the majority are definitely not filthy rich. They are on average richer than the Maltese family, many are upper middle class but they definitely don’t have the money to invest hundreds of thousands into a football club.

We form that idea usually because of all the property they own, but that is mostly because of how much cheaper their property is. It’s easy to build an empire there especially because there are so few people. For example, I, on my own, earn more than my Gozitan aunt and uncle, who also have to bring up their young children, but whereas I don’t own any property of my own they have a big house, a garage, and 2 farmhouses. My best friend’s family is only slightly richer than ours (with more expenses) but they own a house, a flat, part of a hotel, literally a garage in every village and I think even one or two buildings rented to restaurants (but rent in Gozo is so low, they don’t make much money from it). It’s crazy! One of the reasons I’m considering moving there, in fact, as I had told you. They’re not filthy rich, I could probably do the same on my income there and I’m definitely not filthy rich.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Lukas » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:31 am

Random fact from Wiki. The Gozo national team’s joint biggest defeat is 6-0 against Bavaria in 2018
Lukas

National Flag:
European Union

Postby ramsej84 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:36 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
Lukas wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:[quote="Lukas"]I’m intrigued by this Malta has different leagues thing. Can someone explain?

Easy to confuse since we use the name of the biggest island for the country as a whole.

If I’m not mistaken, when I was in primary school we used to be taught that there are 6 islands, but I don’t think it’s correct:
Malta
Gozo - the second biggest
Comino - third biggest, a popular summer swimming destination, only one family lives there
Cominotto - a smaller island just off Comino
Filfla - quite small and uninhabited, used to be bigger but largely destroyed by the British who used it for military exercises. It’s a protected area and despite its proximity to Malta is well known to be one of the few places where sharks (including very large ones, among the largest in the world) are common. I have no idea why they never approach any of the other islands.
Fungus Rock (although the Maltese name translates to the General’s Rock) - also protected, and known for the fungus that grows there. Not sure whether that fungus is unique.

However, I find this classification a bit weird because of the inclusion of the last one. There’s at least one more large rock in Gozo; I would call it a rock more than an island, but if we’re classifying Fungus Rock as an island then that one should be too. Then there are the bigger St Paul’s islands which are very important in Maltese folklore as the place where St Paul was allegedly shipwrecked in the Acts of the Apostles. So I would say the actual number without considerations of size is about 10 islands.

I can’t find the article right now but I read very recently that ancient maps also show another, fairly large island towards the south of Malta which apparently disappeared with time. I can’t remember what the story was, exactly. I do know Malta used to be much bigger (about 3 times as big) but that is mostly before humanity (alrhough we do have signs that it was inhabited by humanity when it was still bigger, such as an underwater temple and cart ruts leading to cliff edges).

Anyway, getting way too off topic now.[/quote]God Knows what He is doing by not making us bigger...
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:28 am

Lukas wrote:Random fact from Wiki. The Gozo national team’s joint biggest defeat is 6-0 against Bavaria in 2018
I had no idea they have an unofficial national team haha
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to Football in Europe