You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

English football

Discussions on football in other leagues around Europe.

Re: English football

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:28 pm

Re the Championship

WBA got really lucky...they drew their match while their main rivals lost to a desperate team (Barnsley) who were fighting against the impossible to avoid the drop.

What a an epic win by Barnsley until last wk end they were at the bottom of the table, today they are safe.... by beating the most in-form tm in the league, Brentford and the other results went their way...

I am sorry Lukas.... may your City be back soon

Edit.
Not all has been decided.

Wigan were placed into administration and had twelve points deducted.
They have appealed.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 29421.html
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:47 pm

ramsej84 wrote:Chelsea's luck has no boundaries...

Last day fixt.

Leicester v Man Utd... they are going to harm each other for sure...
Che have a diff game vs Wolves but even if they lose it is almost impossible to miss out
Let’s examine the possibilities:
Man Utd win, Chelsea win: Chelsea and Utd qualify
Man Utd draw, Chelsea win: Chelsea and Utd qualify
Man Utd lose, Chelsea win: Chelsea and Leicester qualify

Man Utd win, Chelsea draw: Chelsea and Utd qualify
Man Utd win, Chelsea lose: Chelsea and Utd qualify

Man Utd draw, Chelsea draw: Chelsea and Utd qualify
Man Utd draw, Chelsea lose: Utd and Leicester qualify

Man Utd lose, Chelsea draw: Utd and Leicester qualify
Man Utd lose, Chelsea lose: Utd and Leicester qualify.

It doesn’t have much to do with luck. Chelsea just need to do better than the team behind them. Leicester is fighting for CL qualification and Wolves for the Europa League. It’s definitely not inconceivable that the lower placed teams get points.

United only need a draw to qualify. A draw might also be enough to see Leicester through, depending on Chelsea.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Lukas » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:23 pm

ramsej84 wrote:Re the Championship

WBA got really lucky...they drew their match while their main rivals lost to a desperate team (Barnsley) who were fighting against the impossible to avoid the drop.

What a an epic win by Barnsley until last wk end they were at the bottom of the table, today they are safe.... by beating the most in-form tm in the league, Brentford and the other results went their way...

I am sorry Lukas.... may your City be back soon

Edit.
Not all has been decided.

Wigan were placed into administration and had twelve points deducted.
They have appealed.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 29421.html

Thanks but I don’t think we’ll be back for a long time. Before we can even think about recovery we have to get rid of the cancer at the heart of the club. The owners. They have no plans apart from watching the club slowly wither and die. How exactly that helps them I do not know but they have made it their mission since the fans refused their plans to rename the club “Hull Tigers” to make it “more marketable abroad”. Their revenge on the fans is to destroy the club slowly and painfully

We need 50+1. Same goes for Wigan and every English club that has suffered bad ownership in the past
Lukas
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
European Union

Postby Jorge » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:12 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:

Last day fixt.

Che have a diff game vs Wolves but even if they lose it is almost impossible to miss out

It doesn’t have much to do with luck. Chelsea just need to do better than the team behind them. Leicester is fighting for CL qualification and Wolves for the Europa League. It’s definitely not inconceivable that the lower placed teams get points.

United only need a draw to qualify. A draw might also be enough to see Leicester through, depending on Chelsea.

Most likely Man U. will win (Leicester is in terrible form at the moment), Wolves will either win or hold Chelsea to a tie (unless that Chelsea comes roaring off the gate like they did in certain games)
Most likely Man U and Chelsea will qualify for CL.
Jorge
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Åland Islands

Postby IsiahRashad » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:43 am

Pep Guardiola with €330 million City summer signing budget.
The priorities for the Manchester club are two central defenders, a substitute for Leroy Sané and another attacking player. [source]
IsiahRashad
Moderator & 2019/20 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Bulgaria

Postby Jorge » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:54 pm

IsiahRashad wrote:
The priorities for the Manchester club are two central defenders, a substitute for Leroy Sané and another attacking player. [source]

After spending close to a billion dollars in recent years they have not won the CL and lost the EPL by 20 points.
Jorge
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Åland Islands

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:11 pm

Jorge wrote:
IsiahRashad wrote:

After spending close to a billion dollars in recent years they have not won the CL and lost the EPL by 20 points.
Shhhh .... God Forbids they are still in a chance this yr
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby IsiahRashad » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:31 pm

Can't wait to see these guys in Premier League.

Can't see tweet? Click here!
IsiahRashad

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Bulgaria

Postby aterford » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:43 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:

Last day fixt.

All possible outcomes, as best I can tell:
-Chelsea gets a point, they're in UCL
-United win, Chelsea are in UCL and it'll be United 3rd, Chelsea 4th***

Chelsea win, Leicester/United draw: Chelsea 3rd, United 4th
Chelsea win, Leicester win: Leicester 3rd, Chelsea 4th

Chelsea draw, Leicester/United draw: United 3rd, Chelsea 4th
Chelsea draw, Leicester win: Leicester 3rd, Chelsea 4th

Chelsea lose, Leicester/United draw: United 3rd, Leicester 4th
Chelsea lose, Leicester win: Leicester 3rd, United 4th

As above, any scenario in which Manchester United win vs Leicester will see Chelsea in UCL, even if they lose.
There is ONE scenario where both Chelsea and United win that sees Chelsea leapfrog United to finish 3rd....and that's if they beat Wolves by 15 goals greater than United would beat Leicester. So, if United win 1-0 and by some crazy miracle Chelsea were to win 16-0, they would jump into 3rd and United 4th. Hahaha.

And that right there is a good example of why Chelsea should really be focusing on defense, not attack. Their attack is good enough to challenge for the top spots already. Their defense is mid-table at best. They've scored 67 goals to United's 64, but still find themselves behind them by 15 in goal differential. It's not the attack that's the issue, not by a long shot.
#BigFlickEnergy
aterford
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Jorge » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:13 am

I do not not know where some are repeating the idea of Chelsea not planning on improving their defense. For months it has been reported their interest on Declan Rice.

There are rumors today that they are also going after Jose Gimenez.
Chelsea scout Atletico Madrid defender Jose Gimenez [source]

I said it a few times: we can't overlook Chelsea's overhaul, it seems well thought and ambitious.
Jorge
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Åland Islands

Postby aterford » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:27 am

Jorge wrote:I do not not know where some are repeating the idea of Chelsea not planning on improving their defense. For months it has been reported their interest on Declan Rice.

There are rumors today that they are also going after Jose Gimenez.
Chelsea scout Atletico Madrid defender Jose Gimenez [source]

I said it a few times: we can't overlook Chelsea's overhaul, it seems well thought and ambitious.

And for months there's been FAR more reporting on their attacking targets. Maybe that moves the paper better, or maybe that's what they're putting more focus on, who knows.

Bottom line is this: if Chelsea didn't add a single attacker this summer and spent all that money on improving their defense (and stability in midfield, tbh - and Rice will almost certainly be bought as a midfielder rather than a defender IMO) they'd be in a better spot right now than if they spent 180m+ on attackers and added perhaps one defender this summer and some more next summer. Beating a dead horse at this point, but the math - both actual and predictive - makes it pretty clear that attacking hasn't been their problem at all, it's been the defence, and as of yet they've done quite literally nothing to change that.

(and that's to say nothing of the same reports talking about how West Ham are 'demanding' 80m for Rice and that Chelsea would have to negotiate down from Gimenez' 120m buyout clause - same for Oblak. I know they haven't spent in a while, but there's no way they're spending 180, 200m on attackers and then slapping on top another couple hundred million on defenders or midfielders or goalkeepers. Feel free to bookmark that)

Anyways, what do you think? What is Chelsea's biggest need at the moment? What weaknesses did Chelsea show this year and what could they do to improve upon those weaknesses in the summer? How have they addressed those weaknesses/needs?
#BigFlickEnergy
aterford
I live on BayernForum.com

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:08 am

It is not only up to the individual players (defenders) that make a good defence but how the overall philosophy of the tm.

Like when coaches play with three forwards ; the numbers are not all
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Jorge » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:25 pm

Chelsea's biggest problem is aging and their number one priority is renewing the squad, some of the players that carried the team to the EPL title 3 years ago, or/and the FA Cup a year later; are over 30 or will be 30 next year: Marco Alonso, Azpilicueta, Willian, Pedro, Giroud, Kanté (although this one is not going anywhere).

What is interesting is that they are mainly targeting players under 25 that can be molded easier to Lampard's idea so it seems a long term project rather than expecting to have a CL contending team next season, it looks more like Liverpool and less like Manchester City.

As for Rice's valuation WHU obviously will set the price high because his age, quality and being tied to a long term deal, but they know that they won't be able to keep him too long because Declan's place is not in a bottom of the table team. I fully understand Lampard's interest in him, he will immediately improve the defensive line as a CB. Kante's natural replacement is Bill Gilmour but since Declan Rice is also an excellent CDM Frank will have a pair of 19-21 year-olds of high quality that could shape the defensive area depending on how they develop and the team needs.

If Chelsea qualifies for the CL next season this weekend I expect them to sign either Rice or Gimenez. There are a number of things that they can do to finance the operation.

As for the goalkeeper situation, Arrizabalaga is an excellent goalie but it seems that he has problems adapting to the EPL, let's remember that his transfer to Chelsea made him at the time the most expensive keeper in the world. I wouldn't discount a move back to Spain either as a swap plus cash or a straight sale to finance in part the purchase of either Oblak or Ter Stegen, both priced higher than Arrizabalaga but both in contract negotiations and waiting for the CL in August to put things in perspective for them.
Last edited by Jorge on Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jorge
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Åland Islands

Postby Jorge » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:33 pm

ramsej84 wrote:It is not only up to the individual players (defenders) that make a good defence but how the overall philosophy of the tm.

Like when coaches play with three forwards ; the numbers are not all

Exactly, not to say that their defensive line is fine or anything like that, but the same players allowed substantially less goals in recent seasons. Kante has been out injured in many of the games when Chelsea allowed a high number of goals, not only he is one of the best CM in the world but also a leader on the pitch. Add that Kepa is having a sub-standard season with reports that he has expressed a desire to go back to Spain.
Jorge
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Åland Islands

Postby Firefox1234 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:21 pm

Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

PreviousNext

Return to Football in Europe