You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

English football

Discussions on football in other leagues around Europe.

Re: English football

Postby TheJeff » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:46 pm

JANCKER wrote:
TheJeff wrote:If we are saying Arsenal are a selling club, then we have to go beyond 5 years. Are you seriously denying that Bayern cannot poach most Bundesliga players if they wanted?

There are clubs that don't sell to Bayern, they much rather throw to garbage than sell to Bayern, like Neverkusen for example. Neverkusen with a stadium capacity of 30K can do that to Bayern...

The beauty of PL is money... take the money away and you'd be worst than Italy.

There will always be different levels of difficulty to poach a player. If a player ran down his contract at Leverkusen like Lewa at Dortmund or wouldn't sign an extension, the club would be forced to sell or allow the move wherever the player wants.
I assume majority of the players in the Bundesliga want to play for Bayern Munich?

I will have to disagree with you in regards to the money comment.
The money came in due to viewers wanting to watch the Premier League games in the first place, so before the money, there must have been something there which attracted the viewers :)
TheJeff
Woah, this feels cool!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby PunkCapitalist » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:50 pm

TheJeff wrote:
JANCKER wrote:
TheJeff wrote:If we are saying Arsenal are a selling club, then we have to go beyond 5 years. Are you seriously denying that Bayern cannot poach most Bundesliga players if they wanted?

There are clubs that don't sell to Bayern, they much rather throw to garbage than sell to Bayern, like Neverkusen for example. Neverkusen with a stadium capacity of 30K can do that to Bayern...

The beauty of PL is money... take the money away and you'd be worst than Italy.

There will always be different levels of difficulty to poach a player. If a player ran down his contract at Leverkusen like Lewa at Dortmund or wouldn't sign an extension, the club would be forced to sell or allow the move wherever the player wants.
I assume majority of the players in the Bundesliga want to play for Bayern Munich?

I will have to disagree with you in regards to the money comment.
The money came in due to viewers wanting to watch the Premier League games in the first place, so before the money, there must have been something there which attracted the viewers :)

There's a lot of marketing involved and pro-anglophone sentiments + anti-german prejudice. Truth being told, the EPL is hugely overrated and most of it comes down to the media. I don't believe there is a side in England capable of winning the CL at this moment without MAJOR luck.

My point is that viewers just watch it because the media tells them to.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
PunkCapitalist
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby TheJeff » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:06 pm

PunkCapitalist wrote:There's a lot of marketing involved and pro-anglophone sentiments + anti-german prejudice. Truth being told, the EPL is hugely overrated and most of it comes down to the media. I don't believe there is a side in England capable of winning the CL at this moment without MAJOR luck.

But you must agree, the product must be good for it to be marketable?
Otherwise, why haven't all the other top leagues been marketing their product with as much success as the Premier League?
Making that much money, over £5billion just from the UK is too much to put it down to the reasons you gave above.
The quality of the games must also be there, otherwise it's like saying viewers from all around the world pay more to watch boring English football rather than exciting *French*German*Italian*Spanish* football (take your pick).

With regards to European football. I believe we have a different mentality here in England. We see the Premier League as the priority, hence why we put forward a second string team in European games.

I will give a quote from the man most will hate from here:

"The Manchester United manager said "The Premier League is a battlefield. Each club must, on the weekend before the competition, put up a huge fight. I've never been in such a tough competition as coach as I am here.

There are no easy matches... And through the week you play in the Champions League. The English teams really have the quality, but the big difference with the other Champions League participants is that they are not so heavily in their own league held to the test."
"

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topi ... ier-league
TheJeff
Woah, this feels cool!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby JANCKER » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:17 pm

"There are no easy matches... And through the week you play in the Champions League. The English teams really have the quality, but the big difference with the other Champions League participants is that they are not so heavily in their own league held to the test."

That's sounding like a hypocrite. What excuse do they have for the NT failures? :-k Not good enough? Not enough money?
JANCKER

Postby PunkCapitalist » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:24 pm

TheJeff wrote:
PunkCapitalist wrote:There's a lot of marketing involved and pro-anglophone sentiments + anti-german prejudice. Truth being told, the EPL is hugely overrated and most of it comes down to the media. I don't believe there is a side in England capable of winning the CL at this moment without MAJOR luck.

But you must agree, the product must be good for it to be marketable?
Otherwise, why haven't all the other top leagues been marketing their product with as much success as the Premier League?
Making that much money, over £5billion just from the UK is too much to put it down to the reasons you gave above.
The quality of the games must also be there, otherwise it's like saying viewers from all around the world pay more to watch boring English football rather than exciting *French*German*Italian*Spanish* football (take your pick).

With regards to European football. I believe we have a different mentality here in England. We see the Premier League as the priority, hence why we put forward a second string team in European games.

I will give a quote from the man most will hate from here:

"The Manchester United manager said "The Premier League is a battlefield. Each club must, on the weekend before the competition, put up a huge fight. I've never been in such a tough competition as coach as I am here.

There are no easy matches... And through the week you play in the Champions League. The English teams really have the quality, but the big difference with the other Champions League participants is that they are not so heavily in their own league held to the test."
"

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topi ... ier-league

Not really... Look, most popular beer in the US? Bud Light. Crappiest beer in the US? Bud Light. Marketing does magic.

PunkCapitalist

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:32 pm

Is it me or this particular season the level of football is going down in Eng? I watched Everton vs Pool and Tott vs Pool and also some che games...
ImHo the serieA is becoming better than the EPL

Sent from my GT-S6802 using Tapatalk 2
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby nm462272 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:34 pm

Tottenham vs. Liverpool was a snoozefest
Des interessiert mi ois ned, der Scheißdreck. Weltmeister samma! Den Pott hamma! Den scheiß goldener Schuh kannst da hinter d’Ohr’n schmiern! - Mia San Mia

Euer Hass ist unser Stolz!
nm462272
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby PunkCapitalist » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:41 pm

nm462272 wrote:Tottenham vs. Liverpool was a snoozefest

It was indeed, I fell asleep.

PunkCapitalist

Postby Tedesco » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:44 pm

The "appeal" of the PL is that the teams cannot perform consistently, then they lose to shitty teams once in a while.

This applies for their performances in Europe as well, but more often.
Tedesco
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby #12 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:02 pm

No... I'm just seriously denying we are... We can't get any of the Dortmund players, for example, except if it is for their contracts running out... NONE of the competitive teams - Wolfsburg, Schalke, Leverkusen, Dortmund - HAVE to sell anyone to us - and they barely do... We got Neuer, yes - but also, one year legft in his contract...

Also, the 5billion come from a different attitude towards pay tv... We have public-sector-broadcasting which is insanely pricey (and ensuring a freedom of the press matched by few countries on this planet... ;) ) - and thus people are not willing to pay too much for pay tv... There's not many people signing up for sky - the ONLY provider of pay tv - so there's no real competition for them and still, they're struggling as well...
And as for international marketing... There was this thing called the British Empire... ;) It's easier to produce for a big market if you don't need extra commentators, journalists, etc...
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Lukas » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:09 pm

That doesn't mean football is popular in the commonwealth countries though. Yes we have members on here from places like India, Pakistan and Australia, but football is very much a minority sport there. The PL's biggest foreign market is the far east
Lukas
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
European Union

Postby PunkCapitalist » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:15 pm

Lukas wrote:That doesn't mean football is popular in the commonwealth countries though. Yes we have members on here from places like India, Pakistan and Australia, but football is very much a minority sport there. The PL's biggest foreign market is the far east

Who are still much more likely to speak English than German, French, Italian or Spanish.

But that's not really the issue. The main thing is journalism in English gets a lot more exposure, thus the British point of view is the one must people outside Europe read.

PunkCapitalist

Postby Lukas » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:24 pm

Can't even enjoy Hull winning 3-0 after that disaster of a game. Hate losing to any of the Hyped 5, or perhaps we're just as hyped outside Germany :(
Lukas
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
European Union

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:27 pm

Lukas wrote:Can't even enjoy Hull winning 3-0 after that disaster of a game. Hate losing to any of the Hyped 5, or perhaps we're just as hyped outside Germany :(

I was coming to tell you that at least Hull won 3:0 vs Ipswich

Sent from my GT-S6802 using Tapatalk 2
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

We won't be able to stay past that shitty league if we keep fucking up against inferior opposition every fucking time, including Bayern -.-
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

PreviousNext

Return to Football in Europe