You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Maltese football

Discussions on football in other leagues around Europe.

Re: Maltese football

Postby ramsej84 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:56 am

MUTU wrote:Doesn't seem like it given he's using the Jones surname. Either that or he's not really proud of his Maltese ancestry

PS: also it sounds ironic coming from someone who's not exactly a fan of migration ;)
Don't get me banned

I don't think that his ancestors went there illegally

Edit.
I don't think that he will ever accept the invite.
Last edited by ramsej84 on Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby nm462272 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:33 am

ramsej84 wrote:
MUTU wrote:I believe you think that your nationality depends on where your dad was born. That makes him English.
Not sure about his dad... his nannu and nanna from his father side are Maltese.
Plus we are a,small nation and we do well to look for Maltese abroad...

Turks , Croats, Kosovar, Albania, they all do it... even big nations such as Italy do it.

France and Germany is a different story, they actually have to defend themselves fr the countries mentioned further up.

also the US did this a lot under Klinsmann, not sure if that trend has continued as much in the past years (haven't really been paying attention to the USMNT)
Des interessiert mi ois ned, der Scheißdreck. Weltmeister samma! Den Pott hamma! Den scheiß goldener Schuh kannst da hinter d’Ohr’n schmiern! - Mia San Mia

Euer Hass ist unser Stolz!
nm462272
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:44 am

It’s very much the norm these days. I don’t have any particular opinion on it. It depends on each individual case I think.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby nm462272 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:49 am

i think it's okay - FIFA seems to have established the framework for how a player qualifies for certain countries, and which one they pick is up to them. for example, some of the German-American guys were never going to be good enough for Germany - doesn't seem to hurt anyone to have them play for the USMNT, right? i suppose they could have "taken the place" of a lesser talent that was born in the US, but in the big scheme of things the team is better for having the different backgrounds and, of course, for having better players in the end.
Des interessiert mi ois ned, der Scheißdreck. Weltmeister samma! Den Pott hamma! Den scheiß goldener Schuh kannst da hinter d’Ohr’n schmiern! - Mia San Mia

nm462272
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:57 am

nm462272 wrote:i think it's okay - FIFA seems to have established the framework for how a player qualifies for certain countries, and which one they pick is up to them. for example, some of the German-American guys were never going to be good enough for Germany - doesn't seem to hurt anyone to have them play for the USMNT, right? i suppose they could have "taken the place" of a lesser talent that was born in the US, but in the big scheme of things the team is better for having the different backgrounds and, of course, for having better players in the end.
What I’m mostly against is people who were born and lived their entire lives in one country, with parents from that country, who possibly never visited the country they represent finding some obscure link to a country through one great grandparent or something and playing for them just because they’re not good enough for their home country and not because they identify with that place. Of course you can’t blame the national associations for wanting to out together a stronger team.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby nm462272 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:59 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
nm462272 wrote:i think it's okay - FIFA seems to have established the framework for how a player qualifies for certain countries, and which one they pick is up to them. for example, some of the German-American guys were never going to be good enough for Germany - doesn't seem to hurt anyone to have them play for the USMNT, right? i suppose they could have "taken the place" of a lesser talent that was born in the US, but in the big scheme of things the team is better for having the different backgrounds and, of course, for having better players in the end.
What I’m mostly against is people who were born and lived their entire lives in one country, with parents from that country, who possibly never visited the country they represent finding some obscure link to a country through one great grandparent or something and playing for them just because they’re not good enough for their home country and not because they identify with that place. Of course you can’t blame the national associations for wanting to out together a stronger team.

i have to admit, i don't know too much about the FIFA rules and regulations - is such a scenario really possible? IMO should be either where you're born or where your parents are from, but maybe I'm not putting enough thought into it. Where your grandparent is from seems like too much seperation.

nm462272
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:05 am

If I’m not mistaken having just one out of four grandparents born in country A (even if they have lived in country B for 50 years) is enough to make you able to represent country A.

Mind you that sort of thing actually qualifies you for citizenship in Malta. I think having citizenship should be a requirement.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby nm462272 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:09 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:If I’m not mistaken having just one out of four grandparents born in country A (even if they have lived in country B for 50 years) is enough to make you able to represent country A.

Mind you that sort of thing actually qualifies you for citizenship in Malta. I think having citizenship should be a requirement.

that does seem like quite a stretch. i agree re: the citizenship thing.

nm462272
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby ramsej84 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:12 am

The thing which I don't agree on is that we gave citizenship on merit... to an italian guy and are soon to give to another one!
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby cuil » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:02 pm

This loose citizenship rule in football is helpful for minnow countries where football is barely played. They have a chance for decent players.

A 4th tier European player (who can represent an Asian country because his parents or grandparents are immigrants) is still going to be better than some guy from Asia that is not from Japan or Korea and who only played in his country.

This is FIBA's scheme (citizenship) and FIFA's scheme is in my opinion better because players are actually provided for more opportunities to represent a country (whether they do it for whatever reason). It also reflects the real world better (immigration or working overseas).

Spain will be so stacked with foreign La Liga players who have acquired Spanish citizenship.

Or great players will miss out international tournaments due to citizenship restrictions (happens often in FIBA).

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk
cuil
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby ramsej84 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:30 pm

Spain ... Diego Costa...
And also had that Villareal dude... but his name escapes me
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby cuil » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:53 am

The likes of Messi also hold Spanish citizenship. A national representation based on citizenship can be quite complicated. See players like Rakitic represents Croatia but holds a Swiss passport.

In FIBA there's a "passport-before-the-age-of-16" rule to regulate dual citizenship. So you can only represent the country you hold passport of in case you are eligible for several nations. Qatar handed several citizenships and passports to U-16 Bosnians and Senegalese which thankfully was ruled ineligible.
cuil
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:04 am

ramsej84 wrote:Jodi Felice Jones Coventry city
The Maltese Football Association has been monitoring this guy for years.
He suffered to ACL now he is back...

https://twitter.com/JodsJones/status/13 ... 20065?s=19

I really want us to convince him...

Back then his agent told him not to accept as he had chance to be called for the Three Lions
This poor fella suffered a third ACL
It happened last Fri during practice...
This time to his left....
The previous two were to his right...

He may kiss goodbye to his pro career... what a sham....

The inj to the other foot is not uncommon, once my physiotherapist friend had told me about it...
The strength and focus during rehabilitation is on the inj leg and this effect the other leg ....
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:38 am

@ramsej: what do you think about the new season?

I think on paper we’ve assembled the strongest squad but I highly doubt we will seriously challenge for the title. Too many new players, it’s practically a new team. But I honestly don’t think there’s anyone with more quality. Some of the new players are insane for the Maltese level.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:51 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:@ramsej: what do you think about the new season?

I think on paper we’ve assembled the strongest squad but I highly doubt we will seriously challenge for the title. Too many new players, it’s practically a new team. But I honestly don’t think there’s anyone with more quality. Some of the new players are insane for the Maltese level.
Yes I think so too...
We did the same last season and you saw what happened.
We only started to play good football too late although without corona we would have qualified for uefa spots for sure
Last edited by ramsej84 on Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to Football in Europe