You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

French football

Discussions on football in other leagues around Europe.

Re: French football

Postby aterford » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:49 pm

PunkCapitalist wrote:That's one way to look at it. Another is that we won by a single goal against them in 2020 and lost in 2021, now they are significantly stronger and we've, at best, not improved (I'd argue were weaker than 2020, but we don't know how we'll compare to 2021).

Yes, that's probably fair, but my point is less about how they compare to Bayern and more about how many have already crowned them champs before kicking a ball together yet. Like I said, we might not beat them if we played and that's fine, but I'm speaking more towards how everyone is already convinced that they will immediately click from day one and be able to just dominate everyone in the UCL. If the past is any indication, I'm not convinced that will be the case...

Of course we played them with a seriously depleted squad this past season, and we only lost on away goals after all...I have no doubt that if both teams had played at full strength last season we'd have easily advanced. And of course injuries happen, but that cuts both ways, which may be an issue again for a team like PSG which is relying on the star-power of some players who have been known to regularly pick up injuries at inopportune times...

#12 wrote:Plus they were the only team to win it on between the RM show…

Yes, but again: At the moment this appears to be a worse version of that side (who, again, only managed one trip past the QF's).

Consider Barca's 15/16 side and compare it to a potential PSG XI with Messi (Messi-Suarez-Neymar / Rakitic-Busquets-Iniesta / Alves-Pique-Mascherano-Alba / Ter Stegen vs perhaps Messi-Mbappe-Neymar / Di Maria-Verratti-Wijnaldum / Hakimi-Marquinhos-Ramos-Kurzawa / Donnarumma)

Messi 15/16 > Messi 20/21
Suarez 15/16 > Mbappe 20/21
Neymar 15/16 > Neymar 20/21
Busquets 15/16 > Wijnaldum 20/21
Iniesta 15/16 = Verratti 20/21 (I might give the edge to Verratti here as Iniesta had started to decline by this point)
Rakitic 15/16 < di Maria 20/21
Alves 15/16 = Hakimi 20/21 (I think Alves had started to decline by this point a bit too, but still no worse)
Pique 15/16 > Ramos 20/21 (Who has also started declining)
Mascherano 15/16 < Marquinhos 20/21
Alba 15/16 > Kurzawa 20/21
Ter Stegen 15/16 < Donnarumma 20/21

In other words I think when comparing possible (probable?) starting XI's, the 15/16 Barca side was stronger at no less than 6/11 positions, and you could make a case for being better at 7 or 8 really. And that 15/16 side - fresh off of winning the UCL the year prior - only managed to make it to the QFs. So like above: Don't know that we would beat them, but I also wouldn't be too sure that they will be an instant success or easily dominate the competition or anything like that...
God Bless Thomas Müller
aterford
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby #12 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:24 pm

aterford wrote:
PunkCapitalist wrote:That's one way to look at it. Another is that we won by a single goal against them in 2020 and lost in 2021, now they are significantly stronger and we've, at best, not improved (I'd argue were weaker than 2020, but we don't know how we'll compare to 2021).

Yes, that's probably fair, but my point is less about how they compare to Bayern and more about how many have already crowned them champs before kicking a ball together yet. Like I said, we might not beat them if we played and that's fine, but I'm speaking more towards how everyone is already convinced that they will immediately click from day one and be able to just dominate everyone in the UCL. If the past is any indication, I'm not convinced that will be the case...

Of course we played them with a seriously depleted squad this past season, and we only lost on away goals after all...I have no doubt that if both teams had played at full strength last season we'd have easily advanced. And of course injuries happen, but that cuts both ways, which may be an issue again for a team like PSG which is relying on the star-power of some players who have been known to regularly pick up injuries at inopportune times...

#12 wrote:Plus they were the only team to win it on between the RM show…

Yes, but again: At the moment this appears to be a worse version of that side (who, again, only managed one trip past the QF's).

Consider Barca's 15/16 side and compare it to a potential PSG XI with Messi (Messi-Suarez-Neymar / Rakitic-Busquets-Iniesta / Alves-Pique-Mascherano-Alba / Ter Stegen vs perhaps Messi-Mbappe-Neymar / Di Maria-Verratti-Wijnaldum / Hakimi-Marquinhos-Ramos-Kurzawa / Donnarumma)

Messi 15/16 > Messi 20/21
Suarez 15/16 > Mbappe 20/21
Neymar 15/16 > Neymar 20/21
Busquets 15/16 > Wijnaldum 20/21
Iniesta 15/16 = Verratti 20/21 (I might give the edge to Verratti here as Iniesta had started to decline by this point)
Rakitic 15/16 < di Maria 20/21
Alves 15/16 = Hakimi 20/21 (I think Alves had started to decline by this point a bit too, but still no worse)
Pique 15/16 > Ramos 20/21 (Who has also started declining)
Mascherano 15/16 < Marquinhos 20/21
Alba 15/16 > Kurzawa 20/21
Ter Stegen 15/16 < Donnarumma 20/21

In other words I think when comparing possible (probable?) starting XI's, the 15/16 Barca side was stronger at no less than 6/11 positions, and you could make a case for being better at 7 or 8 really. And that 15/16 side - fresh off of winning the UCL the year prior - only managed to make it to the QFs. So like above: Don't know that we would beat them, but I also wouldn't be too sure that they will be an instant success or easily dominate the competition or anything like that...
I can agree bar Suarez-Mbappé… The latter is better…
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Ottomeister87 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:45 pm

I dont know.. They have MANY ego's already, bring in Messi.. its also explosion material with Mbappe, Neymar, Di Maria, Messi, Ramos.. And for Messi to work they probably have to change their playstyle completely.. I am with Aterford on this one, they havent won anything yet.
Ottomeister87
I post all the time

National Flag:
Germany

Postby IsiahRashad » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:34 pm

PSG's wage bill was 234.6 million. With the signings of Messi, Donnarumma, Wijnaldum, Achraf and Sergio Ramos, it is likely to be close to 400million.

Barca's wage bill, without Messi, is close to 600 M.

The wreck perpetrated by Bartomeu's board is quickly explained.
Salihamidžić: “Correct. Dayot Upamecano will play for FC Bayern for the next five years."
IsiahRashad
Moderator & 2019/20 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Bulgaria

Postby Fénix » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:50 pm

Mira a esta pinche pulga cómo está feliz cuando llegó a Paris y salió del furgoneta. :lol: :lol: :lol:
He isn't ready to leave the club, but he is too excited already about the new club, city and country. :D :mrgreen:

Leo, I don't believe you a shit when you said all that few days ago and you were on verge of leaving Barcelona one year ago, don't forget that buddy. :) Have a great time in a new club, it was about damn time to move your ass from a criminal Catalan institution. You gave your big contribution in destroying it and for that I want to thank you, cien mil millones veces gracias. =D> :cheers:

I see he is back to his roots and the French FA did an incredible exception by giving a field player number #30 since rules are 1, 16 and 30 exclusively GK numbers in Ligue 1.

Can't wait to watch PSG and see their results in the new season.

By the way, I must not forget to mention Mauricio Pochettino... In less than a year at PSG he is finally blessed with so many outstanding players and it's about time to show what he is made of as a coach. I expect more than just countering opponents and playing disciplined defence.
Fénix

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Croatia

Postby Ottomeister87 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:04 pm

Those smirks on the faces.. zum kotzen..
Ottomeister87
I post all the time

National Flag:
Germany

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:15 am

U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby YlonenXabi » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:12 pm

Not only that. They are trying to extend Mbappe's contract by offering him a massive pay rise
- Hansi Legend Flick -
YlonenXabi

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:14 pm

YlonenXabi wrote:Not only that. They are trying to extend Mbappe's contract by offering him a massive pay rise
And if he doesn't sign they want to bring Ronaldo next season
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Ottomeister87 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:00 pm

If Penaldo will be any good next year at 37.. :P
Ottomeister87
I post all the time

National Flag:
Germany

Postby #12 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:32 pm

It’s a perfect marketing stunt to sportswash…
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Ottomeister87 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:39 pm

Messi, Neymar and Penaldo on one team.. thats just a TNT barrel waiting to explode.. Those ego's want to do it all alone, no way that would work.
Ottomeister87
I post all the time

National Flag:
Germany

Postby MUTU » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:31 pm

Wow Nice is beating Lille 5-0 away with Dante as captain and Renato Sanches not in the matchday squad for Lille.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby MUTU » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:52 pm

Correction the 5th goal was ruled out with VAR.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby YlonenXabi » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:26 pm

PSG already 5 points ahead of Lyon, Monaco and Lille ... in matchday 2 :!: :!: :!: :!:
- Hansi Legend Flick -
YlonenXabi

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain

PreviousNext

Return to Football in Europe