You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

European Football

Discussions on football in other leagues around Europe.

Re: European Football

Postby T4L10N » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:11 pm

Next step for UEFA to make: annul the contracts for those ESL team players and make them free agents. I wouldnt mind getting De bruyne and De Jong for free :D
T4L10N
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:12 pm

So anyway, let's talk about the real deal...

I hope the ESL contracts a better video game developer than EA and Konami. :lol: :lol: :lol:
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby MUTU » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:13 pm

Imagine BVB still not managing to qualify for next season's Champions League.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:14 pm

Valerio wrote:Prolly being Amazon and what's not

Lol talk about chasing the money and sending a big FU to the fans. So anyone who doesn't own a smart tv or video game console will be obliged to watch football on their computers or phones.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Lahmies » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:30 pm

@aterford I honestly have nothing against american sports. I'm even a fan of the NBA. But that model is simply not football. This sport has its own history, its own competitions, its own identity. There's no justification to change all of that other than putting more money in the pockets of a few. Hell, look at some of the clubs who signed for it. Arsenal and Tottenham? Really? When have they ever won the CL? When was the last time they won anything of note? They're not big clubs, they're rich clubs. They want a steady clash flow from being in european competitions regardless of wether they earned it or not. They're never going to change a model that was established to favor them in the first place, so you can forget about them developing a 'best y teams from x division qualifies' model. It's never going to happen. Only the poorer clubs will have to fight for it. And the rich will keep cashing in, while the gap between them widens. This is an attack on this sport.
Lahmies
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby longeleven » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:46 pm

fcnrz wrote:Kuddos to us but on the other hand i dont understand why are we sticking with uefa. A corrupted organization who were pushing barca and real year after year f ucking us in the process. An organization who did nothing against psg city and co who spent money they didnt had or against barca real atletico who are over 500 plus mil in depth.
Scheduling NT games just for the greed for money when there is corona
Plus fifa another corrupted organization getting bribes for voting WC hosts etc.

I despise peres agnelli and co but lets not pretend uefa are saints in all of this

We do not choose to stand with UEFA and FIFA, we are doing the right things.

Things righteous men would stand for. The true values of football with all meaning.
longeleven
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby RVABayern » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:52 pm

Klopp to resign if LFC does it. Klopp to Bayern because of ESL would be a weird storyline. We would dominate UCL forever though lol.
RVABayern
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby #12 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:01 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
Lahmies wrote:You know what's funny? UEFA just announced their new CL model to appease these clubs, and they still did it.

Which sucks too, tbh, hopefully they will now scrap it.
As a historian, let me repeat something you might habe heard before - and it‘s true, trust me:

Appeasement never works!

Except...

No... APPEASEMENT NEVER WORKS!
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby #12 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:11 pm

BayernSupporter wrote:
zozon wrote:
BayernSupporter wrote:Of course not. The fans will say no to this. That is why I dont really see that source as being real.

Real Madrid and Barcelona also have "socios" aka club members, just like us. And they are in.

So...

no offense to those fans, but i would say they have far more different values when it comes down to these matters let alone the cultural differences.

Im gonna be so disgusted by Bayern if they really said yes to this.
Yeah offense, fuck em.
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby aterford » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:12 pm

Lahmies wrote:@aterford I honestly have nothing against american sports. I'm even a fan of the NBA. But that model is simply not football. This sport has its own history, its own competitions, its own identity. There's no justification to change all of that other than putting more money in the pockets of a few. Hell, look at some of the clubs who signed for it. Arsenal and Tottenham? Really? When have they ever won the CL? When was the last time they won anything of note? They're not big clubs, they're rich clubs. They want a steady clash flow from being in european competitions regardless of wether they earned it or not. They're never going to change a model that was established to favor them in the first place, so you can forget about them developing a 'best y teams from x division qualifies' model. It's never going to happen. Only the poorer clubs will have to fight for it. And the rich will keep cashing in, while the gap between them widens. This is an attack on this sport.

Oh yes. Don't get me wrong, that's not me saying I'm pro-ESL model or anything like that. Just kind of speculating on what their big-picture aims are and how that might take shape.

Depending on how things shake out, even if clubs like Spurs and Arsenal weren't good enough to qualify for "postseason" some years down the line...with a "salary floor" and proper revenue sharing they would probably still be getting rich off of it. Even the very "poorest" NFL club (by measure of total valuation, revenue, etc) right now would find itself something like 6th or so in the Premier League at the moment. You can still be absolute trash in the NFL and make money hand over fist, so I suspect we may see the same at one point. And I would wager if Arsenal or Spurs or whoever are making consistent cash flow - even if they're not getting the "prestige" of some kind of exclusive postseason tournament, they probably won't care too much at the end of the day. And to a degree I feel like this is something their fans have already been upset about - Arsenal haven't been seriously competitive for years, but their American owner (Kroenke) keeps making tons of cash just by nature of the club being "big enough" and in the Premier League (and at least good enough to stay there), so he doesn't really care a ton to put a lot of effort into driving them towards being seriously competitive.

Anyways, like I said, not something I'm in favor of but something I could perhaps envision down the line.
God Bless Thomas Müller
aterford
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Fénix » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:25 pm

fcnrz wrote:Kuddos to us but on the other hand i dont understand why are we sticking with uefa. A corrupted organization who were pushing barca and real year after year f ucking us in the process. An organization who did nothing against psg city and co who spent money they didnt had or against barca real atletico who are over 500 plus mil in depth.
Scheduling NT games just for the greed for money when there is corona
Plus fifa another corrupted organization getting bribes for voting WC hosts etc.

I despise peres agnelli and co but lets not pretend uefa are saints in all of this

Good point. Nobody has changed UEFA so far. They are hypocrites as those new little brothers from ESL.

What have got all other clubs out of top 5 leagues and all clubs from domestic leagues for the last 15-20 years? 'Chamipons' League? Big money to habe super competitive and strong domestic leagues and matches every 7 days?
Back then Fifa presented some solutions to stop unbalance and inequality, but EU and UEFA never wanted to listen. This is just a consequence of that greed long time ago.
Hans-Dieter Flick - der Beste der Besten!
Fénix

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Croatia

Postby aterford » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:42 pm

aterford wrote:
Spoiler: show
Dumbledore7 wrote:This move must have been based on the American model which, without question, is the best commercial sporting infrastructure in the world. The NFL is basically a trade association of all the clubs, all with interest in the competition. No middle man with vested interest. In lieu of relegation/promotion, they have salary caps and major/minor leagues. The clubs can actually vote on issues.

Consider a hypothetical scenario where we have the domestic leagues, Champions League and international football as they are, but without the existence of the corrupt FIFA/UEFA. Nice, right? Well, that's the world we're heading towards with this.

It looks bad now because there's a split between "traditional" competitions vs. the "elite" super league, but make no mistake - eventually their goal is to run football. It's a forceful way of breaking away from FIFA/UEFA, which is what most people want anyway. It's not going to remain an association of 12 clubs, but of 100 clubs.

There will be small clubs joining in, who can't break through "organically" in the current system. They'll get more clubs to follow suit and eventually all of them (because, well, money). It's not just the single super league, they'll eventually have their "minor leagues" i.e. some version of the domestic competitions. They'll host international competitions eventually if there's demand for it, and even better because they wouldn't fit in international matches in the club schedule.

It will be a very rocky change, but it's inevitable and I think it'll be a better football landscape after the transition...if my theory is correct, anyway.

MUTU wrote:My prediction is that all this is one big bluff to reach a compromise with UEFA to create a European Super League as a division higher to all current top domestic leagues in Europe.

The idea I have is that the Champions League becomes an actual league. Teams participating in it won't play in their domestic league. The worst performing team in every country at the end of the season would play 2 leg playoffs against the domestic league winner to see whether there is promotion/relegation.

Furthermore, the teams that reach the Europa League semifinals would replace the bottom four teams in the new Champions League.

This way, it would still be a UEFA competition with the most elite clubs playing every week, but at the same time still be an open competition based on merit.

I am wondering if the ultimate goal isn't some sort of hybrid between the two of these ideas (and then some)

Long post incoming. Just right off the bat - I hope this first bit doesn't come off as patronizing, but I'm not sure how familiar people are here with how many NA sports leagues are structured, so going to walk through some basic explanation. Not because I think anyone's dumb, but it's just totally foreign to many. I will put in spoiler tag to save some space; if you are familiar with NA league structures then feel free to skip, if not you may find it informative.

So, I'll take the NFL as an example, as it's the most successful and prominent league in North America. And, in terms of *league revenue* it's the richest single league in the world and it's not close, something like 12 billion. MLB and NBA are 2 and 3 behind it, it's not until 4 that we find our first football league, the EPL of course. Anyways, just a little aside.

If you're not familiar the NFL is made up of 32 teams. It is structured into two 'conferences' called the NFC (National Football Conference) and the AFC (American Football Conference), so 16 teams per conference. Each conference is broken up into four 'divisions' of 4 teams each (NFC North, NFC South, NFC East, NFC West, and so on for AFC).

Now the way scheduling is set for the NFL is pretty formulaic. I'll use my favorite team for example, the Packers. They play in the NFC North.
So, every year, first and foremost you know you're playing each of your *division* opponents twice (one home game, one away game for each opponent, so six games). For the Packers that's two games against the Bears, two games against the Lions, and two games against the Vikings.
Then you play four games against one of the divisions that is in your conference. So, for example, last season Green Bay was drawn against the NFC South, so they played the Falcons, the Buccaneers, the Saints, and the Panthers. Two of these are home games, and two are road games. So far, 10 games.
Then you will also play four games against a division from the other conference, so if you're in the NFC you'll play four games against one AFC division, or vice versa. Last season for GB it was the AFC South, so played against the Colts, Jaguars, Texans, and Titans. Again, two at home and two on the road, bringing you to 14 games.
Finally there are two remaining games from the remaining two divisions in your own conference. So, Packers play in NFC North, and last season played against the NFC South also, so the remaining two games would be against a team from the NFC East and one from the NFC West, and so on.
On top of that, all of this is on a yearly rotation, to ensure you are playing everyone roughly in an even frequency. With four divisions per conference and four games per season against one division from each conference, it means every 4 years you are guaranteed to play every team and then in another 4 years you will have played them all twice at least, and so on.

ANYWAYS, on top of this, conference/division impacts how the postseason is set up. The top teams from each division are automatically into the postseason. Here it's done by W-L-D record. In addition, the two best non-Division winners are in the playoffs too (Well, now it's three as they just recently changed it, but the old rules are a little easier to explain, so I'm going with that). The NFC teams and AFC teams are split into brackets; top record in each conference is top seed and then it's structured so basically high seed plays low seed. There is a playoff bye for the top seeds and some stuff like that, but that's the gist of it. When it's all said and done, the team who progresses through the NFC playoff and the team who progresses through the AFC playoff meet in the title game, and that's the super bowl. Anyways, that's the basic explanation, and I'm wondering how much we'll borrow from that....

SO, that out of the way, I suspect Dumbledore is on the right track - the end goal won't just be a 12 or 15-16 or even 20 team league or whatever, but rather I think their goal would ultimately be to encompass all of the major clubs/leagues in Europe under their umbrella. Basically the new UEFA, with a different structure and different leaders at the top. Is that better? I don't know either way, but - maybe I am being too naive here - I'm not sure the intention is to completely gut football as we know it with no replacement and leaving it only as haves and have-nots.

So I'm wondering if maybe the long term isn't to create a massive league covering much of Europe that would be structured and/or scheduled similar to many North American sports leagues, with conference/division schedules set each year as well as some "non-conference" matches on a rotating basis.

Like I said in my spoiler, each division in the NFL plays the other teams in its division twice a year, one home match and one away match. Kind of like we do in the Bundesliga right now. You play each team twice, once at home and once on the road. What if the plan is to make it so there is basically "ESL - England Division" and "ESL - Germany Division" and "ESL - Spain Division" and so on and so forth. Maybe it would be the case that you'd continue to play your "regular" schedule against your "division" opponents (which would more or less be how the league is now) but additionally add in some "non-conference" matches every season. So it might be that one year we'd play a Bundesliga schedule, but also have say a dozen matches against English teams, or something like that. Each match earns points like usual.

Then say towards the end of the season you count up the points and 1.) the team with the most points in their 'division' is that league's winner and 2.) The teams with the most points in the ESL total, say maybe like top 32 or something - progress to the end-of-season tournament and that's the de-facto UCL replacement.

Biggest difficulty here is figuring out how to set the number of matches properly... I guess if leagues did their typical schedule of 34-38 matches, plus maybe 12-16 "other division" matches, then 5-6 postseason tournament matches, that's roughly in-line with a full season as it stands (50ish matches and change). Of course you would have to find a way to balance the leagues or "divisions" to ensure the same number of matches as obviously a PL team with 38 matches would stand to earn more points than a BL team with 34 matches, as it is.

Anyways that's totally just spitballing, but I could see something like that being the ultimate end-goal when it's all said and done. Of course that doesn't really address so much of the other nuts and bolts issues like salary cap (and floor!), revenue distribution, all that jazz, but that's for another day.

Did a little more random speculation on how something like a Europe-wide "Super League" could take shape. Like I said elsewhere, this isn't something I'm in favor of per se, but just wondering if maybe it's not the direction the heads of the ESL would want to take it. And if an ESL happens one way or another - if it's basically to the point where your club/league either joins the ESL or fades into total irrelevance/insolvency, then maybe at bare minimum it's not the worst possible way to go forward, if that makes sense. Not my preference, but sometimes you're put in a position where you can no longer have your preference and have to simply make do with the hand you are dealt, you know?

So, best I could come up with:
First off, there's 144 teams, divided into 12 divisions of 12 teams each (I tried to figure out a way to have more teams in each division, but it just adds up to way too many games). Again, just spitballing but I came up with. And it's just based on current table position, nothing to do with historical standing or stature or whatever, so obviously that might change. I'm bored, but I'm not THAT bored right now, so not gonna bother with figuring out who's in or not, just picked the quickest and simplest way. They are:
England - City, United, Leicester, West Ham, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, Everton, Arsenal, Leeds, Villa, Wolves
Spain - Atletico, Real Madrid, Barca, Sevilla, Villareal, Betis, Sociedad, Granada, Levante, Celta Vigo, Bilbao, Osasuna
Germany - Bayern, Dortmund, Leipzig, Wolfsburg, Frankfurt, Leverkusen, Gladbach, Union, Freiburg, Stuttgart, Augsburg, Hoffenheim
Italy - Inter, Milan, Atalanta, Juve, Napoli, Lazio, Roma, Sassuolo, Verona, Sampdoria, Bologna, Udinese
France - Lille, PSG, Lyon, Monaco, Lens, Marseille, Rennes, Montpellier, Metz, Nice, Reims, Angers
Portugal - Sporting, Porto, Benfica, Braga, Pacos, Vitoria, Santa Clara, Moreirense, Portimonense, Tondela, Gil Vincente, Belenenses
Russia - Zenit, Lokomotiv, Spartak, Rubin Kazan, CSKA, Dynamo, Sochi, Khimki, Rostov, Akhmat, Krasnodar, Ural
Ukraine - Dynamo, Shakhtar, Zorya, Vorskla, Desna, Kolos, Oleksandriya, Dnipro, Mariupol, Inhulets, Olimpik, Lviv
Netherlands - Ajax, PSV, AZ, Vitesse, Feyenoord, Gronigen, Utrecht, Heracles, Twente, Heerenveen, Sparta, Fortuna
Greece - Olympiacos, Aris, AEK, PAOK, Panathinaikos, Astera, Volos, Giannina, Apollon, Atromitos, Lamia, Panetolikos
Turkey - Besiktas, Fenerbahce, Galatasaray, Trabzonspor, Alanyaspor, Gaziantep, Hatayspor, Sivasspor, Karagumruk, Goztepe, Antalyaspor, Konyaspor
And finally, the ABCDS (Austria, Belgium, Czechia, Denmark, Switzerland, and others) - Salzburg, Basel, Zagreb, Praha, Copenhagen, Brugge, Young Boys, Celtic, Plzen, Red Star, Rangers, Genk

Scheduling based on the above:
1. Each team plays every other team in its 'division' twice per season, once home and once away. Similar to the current format. 22 matches.
2. Each team in a given division plays every team in another division each season. So, for example, in this season, Germany division might play the England division, so each of the 12 German teams would play a match against each of the 12 English teams at some point. 12 matches total, bringing you up to 34 matches so far.
3. Each team plays a match against two teams from each of the remaining divisions (So a match against two teams from France, two from Italy, two from Russia, and so on). Total would be 20 matches here, bringing you up to 54 matches total.
4. Finally, the top teams - no clue how many, maybe 32, 64? based on total points earned would be the teams who qualify for "postseason tournament," and maybe have them seeded into 1-16, four "regions" kind of like the NCAA tournament does or something. This would add a maximum of up to 6 matches, for the team who goes all the way, so a total maximum of 60 matches.

A sample schedule for Bayern might then look something like: Wolfsburg, Gladbach, Brugge, Augsburg, Manchester City, Leipzig, Stuttgart, Goztepe, Aris, Vitoria, Leeds, Leverkusen, Wolves, Frankfurt, Metz, Dortmund, Frankfurt, Liverpool, Freiburg, Alanyaspor, Hoffenheim, Everton, Augsburg, Freiburg, Hoffenheim, Leipzig, Manchester United, Barcelona, Dortmund, Villa, Union, Leverkusen, West Ham, Spurs, Dynamo Moscow, Arsenal, Wolfsburg, Kolos, Chelsea, Atalanta, Young Boys, Gladbach, Gil Vincente, Stuttgart, Volos, Dnipro, Heracles, Nice, Union, Milan, Sevilla, Fortuna Sittard, CSKA, Leicester.

Now obviously there are some serious concerns with such an arrangement. Off the top of my head:
1. Probably the biggest is what to do with Pro/Rel and how to structure the "divisions" in a sensible way. If there's no pro-rel then you've got yourself in a spot where basically the top 12 teams survive and the remaining non-ESL teams would pretty much die off. That's not an acceptable outcome.
2. Scheduling the number of games. 60 games isn't totally unreasonable - if you are making deep runs in every contest you get close to that - but it's a lot year in and year out, especially with international competitions added.
3. Travel considerations. The above schedule is just a randomly generated list; in practice it would obviously be a bit more methodical, algorithmic, etc. But there exists some possibilities for a real crunch on the travel schedule if not planned very careful.
4. Money considerations, revenue splits, etc. That many teams means a lot of slices of the pie to give out, so to speak. Will the big clubs be okay with such an arrangement? How do you determine who gets what share of money?
5. And of course... it's hard to reconcile with some of the well-established traditions of the sport that we know and love. Not any easy way around that.

I'm sure there are plenty more problems too, just thinking out loud at this point. Like I said again, it's not something I'm campaigning for by any means, but at this point I'm kind of just trying to think of the best way to make lemonade out of these lemons, if you will.
God Bless Thomas Müller
aterford

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:44 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
Valerio wrote:Prolly being Amazon and what's not

Lol talk about chasing the money and sending a big FU to the fans. So anyone who doesn't own a smart tv or video game console will be obliged to watch football on their computers or phones.

Obliged hahaha come on they could get a device for like 25 euros, probably less than the monthly subscription fee.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby PunkCapitalist » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:47 pm

IsiahRashad wrote:I spend a good 30 minutes reading comments from the Twitter accounts of these teams, and especially the English fans are looking so damn angry over this haha. :D
Of course they are. They are the losers in this whole affair because they got the only domestic league worth preserving, both in terms of competition and financially.
PunkCapitalist

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:50 pm

PunkCapitalist wrote:
IsiahRashad wrote:I spend a good 30 minutes reading comments from the Twitter accounts of these teams, and especially the English fans are looking so damn angry over this haha. :D
Of course they are. They are the losers in this whole affair because they got the only domestic league worth preserving, both in terms of competition and financially.

Nah, they'll cry they won't be able to tease their neighbour anymore and then move on. They are on the prestigious side after all, those 6 teams at least.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to Football in Europe