You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

European Football

Discussions on football in other leagues around Europe.

Re: European Football

Postby PunkCapitalist » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:47 am

This is a good thing. The Superleague is a good thing. Football has been broken for the past 10 years and it's due to structural issues. Bayern have won 8 of the last 10 BuLis (soon to be 9/10). Juve won 9/10. PSG won 7/10. Only the EPL and La Liga remain somehow competitive. Domestic leagues are simply broken because with international markets there is no way Monchengladbach or even Dortmund can hold on to their players in order to compete against us. Furthermore, Bundesliga clubs have become a complete joke. BVB can't retain 21-year olds for more than two seasons. Not can Leipzig. They had about 6 good players when they first emerged and they are down to two. The current state of affairs is like having Usain Bolt running in the school backyard against 5-year olds.

Without the large clubs, the domestic competitions would have no money. You know the Maslow pyramid? Sure Lewy can care about taking Poland to the World Cup... Provided that he has his more fundamental needs satisfied (ie, being rich). He wouldn't be if he had to play in a BuLi that has no Bayern.
PunkCapitalist
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ramsej84 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:50 am

Lahmies wrote:
aterford wrote:On the plus side if those 12 clubs are banned from the UCL we should catch up with Real Madrid for most UCL titles pretty quickly lmao.

Every final now is gonna be a variation of us, psg and bvb fuck them
And do not forget Leipzig ,Roma or Lazio and Atalanta and even Ajax.

I think it is just a matter of time
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:54 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:MadridZone on Twitter is claiming PSG could be declared European Champions tomorrow.
Not fair ... on away goals.

Uefa should stage a mini league home and away with incl Bayern and Porto
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:56 am

But how does the Super League solve any of that?

At best, you will have a different champion every year, but only out of a select few clubs with no chance of outside winners. That is hardly different from what we already have with the CL, which has traditionally produced very diverse winners (it has been a bit different recently but I'd say Real's wins aren't really about them having been so much better than the rest that there's no competition).

In practice, it will very likely end up being the same thing, just way more boring. Granted, maybe a team won't win 9 in a row. So what? No one won 9 CLs in a row either. But there will definitely be a gap. In fact, there already is before it even started:
- Man United: not good enough for the CL
- Tottenham: haven't won anything in four decades
- Arsenal: not good enough for the CL
- Milan: hasn't qualified for the CL in years
- Inter: didn't make it out of the group stage in the CL
- Juventus: can't beat Ajax, Lyon, and Porto

Which is precisely why a competition not based on merit makes absolutely no sense. Most or all of these teams will end up miles behind the likes of Man City in the league table. What do people think, that every game is going to be for the title? That only happens with KOs mate, not with leagues.

So, at best, we have something as good as the CL, but are denied of all the other football we enjoy (whether or not we accept your claim that it is broken and there's no fixing it despite the fact that Juve, for example, after 9 titles, are most definitely not going to win again). But, much likelier, we are going to have something much worse.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:57 am

ramsej84 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:MadridZone on Twitter is claiming PSG could be declared European Champions tomorrow.
Not fair ... on away goals.

Uefa should stage a mini league home and away with incl Bayern and Porto

Eh, a friend said the same thing but that would be even more unfair. You can't give a second chance to eliminated teams, particularly Bayern who did not face a disqualified side.

I was annoyed at first too but then I decided I wouldn't want to win it off the pitch anyway.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:42 am

I posed a question earlier on about Refs....
Things are gonna be super complicated
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:04 am

I don't care about the ethics of it all: I just don't want Bayern to be left behind. Being on the 'right' side to me seems like we're accepting relegation to a lower division with no means to get promoted.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby IsiahRashad » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:12 am

No surprise that the German clubs didn’t go for this Super League. They respect their fans. Maybe they will at further point, but will ask these restrictions coming for these 12 teams, at this point, I don't think so.

But surprise of the day goes to PSG for not committing to it either. Didn’t see that coming, so I must say that they gained some of my respect.
Salihamidžić: “Correct. Dayot Upamecano will play for FC Bayern for the next five years."
IsiahRashad
Moderator & 2019/20 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Bulgaria

Postby MUTU » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:24 am

IsiahRashad wrote:No surprise that the German clubs didn’t go for this Super League. They respect their fans. Maybe they will at sooner point, but will ask these restrictions coming for these 12 teams, at this point, I don't think so.

But surprise of the day goes to PSG for not committing to it either. Didn’t see that coming, so I must say that they gained some of my respect.

Well, Germans sure love their traditions...
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby IsiahRashad » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:38 am

MUTU wrote:
IsiahRashad wrote:No surprise that the German clubs didn’t go for this Super League. They respect their fans. Maybe they will at sooner point, but will ask these restrictions coming for these 12 teams, at this point, I don't think so.

Well, Germans sure love their traditions...

Yes, for once being reserved in the European scene is helping the German teams.

But, overall, a lot, lot of questions about this. Tbh, I was also imagining a league like this one, but I was thinking that it's going to be played instead of the Champions League. Not the other way around. :roll:

For now, looking at the latest reports, the 12 clubs are believing that they will continue to play in their respective domestic leagues, something which is not going to be allowed I assume. Just like Gabriele Marcotti tweeted, we all know and understand that they want to organize their own competition instead of UCL while still playing in domestic leagues. The thing is if that means they double or triple their revenue, it creates an even greater domestic imbalance in already unbalanced league.

For which I'm asking myself - if they're going to have billions of billions of euros, can some of the top players really stop care about their national teams and every other competition, if they're earning, let's say 200m per year? I believe some of them will, but this is such a big circus, and for once I'm happy with the side that Bayern is in.
Salihamidžić: “Correct. Dayot Upamecano will play for FC Bayern for the next five years."
IsiahRashad

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Bulgaria

Postby MUTU » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:41 am

IsiahRashad wrote:Yes, for once being reserved in the European scene is helping the German teams.

How so? If the ESL does go through, the Champions League will, in my opinion, have considerably less value than the Europa League has now. Hardly any neutral fans will watch it anymore. So yes, German teams will win it more often, and then what, there'd be hardly much to celebrate about anymore.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby PunkCapitalist » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:48 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:But how does the Super League solve any of that?

At best, you will have a different champion every year, but only out of a select few clubs with no chance of outside winners. That is hardly different from what we already have with the CL, which has traditionally produced very diverse winners (it has been a bit different recently but I'd say Real's wins aren't really about them having been so much better than the rest that there's no competition).

In practice, it will very likely end up being the same thing, just way more boring. Granted, maybe a team won't win 9 in a row. So what? No one won 9 CLs in a row either. But there will definitely be a gap. In fact, there already is before it even started:
- Man United: not good enough for the CL
- Tottenham: haven't won anything in four decades
- Arsenal: not good enough for the CL
- Milan: hasn't qualified for the CL in years
- Inter: didn't make it out of the group stage in the CL
- Juventus: can't beat Ajax, Lyon, and Porto

Which is precisely why a competition not based on merit makes absolutely no sense. Most or all of these teams will end up miles behind the likes of Man City in the league table. What do people think, that every game is going to be for the title? That only happens with KOs mate, not with leagues.

So, at best, we have something as good as the CL, but are denied of all the other football we enjoy (whether or not we accept your claim that it is broken and there's no fixing it despite the fact that Juve, for example, after 9 titles, are most definitely not going to win again). But, much likelier, we are going to have something much worse.
It fixes it because you cut the fillers in the season, and currently 90% of our season is fillers. Every match is gonna be worth watching in the superligue. Even playing Arsenal is better than any BuLi team except two and, for the record, Leipzig and BVB should also join the ESL alongside Bayern. That would go a long way in helping them retain their talents, as presumably TV money would not be as unequal inter-ligues as it currently is.
Last edited by PunkCapitalist on Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
PunkCapitalist
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby IsiahRashad » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:49 am

MUTU wrote:
IsiahRashad wrote:Yes, for once being reserved in the European scene is helping the German teams.

How so? If the ESL does go through, the Champions League will, in my opinion, have considerably less value than the Europa League has now. Hardly any neutral fans will watch it anymore. So yes, German teams will win it more often, and then what, there'd be hardly much to celebrate about anymore.

This is a question that I cannot answer right now. We should see how many restrictions they're going to put on them. If we believe in UEFA, these 12 teams are going to play only in the Super League and nowhere else. Yes, they will probably expand in the future. But, who wants to watch the Real - United game every 3 weeks? I'm not one of these guys.

On Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook, most of the fans of these clubs are against this shitshow. I guess we have to wait for another week or two.
IsiahRashad

National Flag:
Bulgaria

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:49 am

MUTU wrote:I don't care about the ethics of it all: I just don't want Bayern to be left behind. Being on the 'right' side to me seems like we're accepting relegation to a lower division with no means to get promoted.
They’ll be a different association and will never play against us. They can claim they’re better all they like, it can never be confirmed. They already say Bayern would struggle in the PL after all and we know that’s not true.

And again, you’re assuming that these clubs will remain the best and that the world’s best players will prefer to play in their competitions. Highly debatable. I think it’s more likely that this is the beginning of the end for clubs like Real Madrid and Juventus.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:55 am

PunkCapitalist wrote:It fixes it because you cut the fillers in the season, and currently 90% of our season is fillers. Every match is gonna be worth watching in the superligue. Even playing Arsenal is better than any BuLi team except two and, for the record, Leipzig and BVB should also join the ESL alongside Bayern. That would go a long way in helping them retain their talents, as presumably TV money would not be as unequal inter-ligues as it currently is.

Not true in my opinion (the part about every match being worth watching). The vast majority after the first few games won’t be, because just like any league there will be pointless midtable games. In fact, the likelihood is that this will be the league with the most pointless games because the only position worth anything is first place. There is no fight for European places, no relegation battle. It’ll be 3 teams fighting for first place and 9 teams playing for absolutely nothing.

The excitement of top games will also wear off very quickly. The excitement of facing Real Madrid or PSG once every few years in a game or two that determine everything is far bigger than playing Real Madrid yet again for the 3rd time this season and the 15th time in the past 5 years to determine who finishes 7th and who finishes 8th.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to Football in Europe