You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

2017/18 Europa League discussion thread

Discussions on the UEFA Europa League (UEFA Cup) matches.

Re: 2017/18 Europa League discussion thread

Postby aterford » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:05 am

ramsej84 wrote:Atletico are too good for the rest...

What will happen if the Cup is won by a team which will finish top 4 in the league?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Best I can find...provided Atletico won EL and Barca/Madrid won UCL...

"The previous limit of a maximum of four teams per association was increased from four to five, meaning that a fourth-placed team from one of the top three ranked associations would only have to be moved to the Europa League if both the Champions League and Europa League winners came from that association and both finished outside the top four of their domestic league."
aterford
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Lukas » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:53 am

Dumbledore7 wrote:BTSport commentator just called Klostermann “Klosterberg” or some shit like that. I’m so done.

Glad it wasn't just me that heard that :lol:
Lukas
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
England

Postby Isabella » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:08 am

What will happen if the Cup is won by a team which will finish top 4 in the league?

Nothing. If the UEL winner is already qualified to the UCL group stage the slot reserved to the UEL winner will go to the third team of France (while the one reserved for the UCL winner, if they are already qualified will go to the champions of Czech Republic)
Isabella
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membership

National Flag:
Italy

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:28 am

Isabella wrote:

Nothing. If the UEL winner is already qualified to the UCL group stage the slot reserved to the UEL winner will go to the third team of France (while the one reserved for the UCL winner, if they are already qualified will go to the champions of Czech Republic)
But as from next season La Liga EPL BuLi and Serie A have four secured teams for the groups. So it will be the 4th in France.

U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:33 am

If RB Leipzig win the Europa League and finish 5th in the Bundesliga, is that 5 guaranteed German clubs in the Champions League group stage?
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby MaCk0y » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:13 am

MUTU wrote:If RB Leipzig win the Europa League and finish 5th in the Bundesliga, is that 5 guaranteed German clubs in the Champions League group stage?
Yes

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleagu ... 99801.html
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:34 am

MUTU wrote:If RB Leipzig win the Europa League and finish 5th in the Bundesliga, is that 5 guaranteed German clubs in the Champions League group stage?

They won't

(Now I sound like #12)
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:09 am

"If the UEFA Europa League holders have qualified for the group stage via their domestic championship, the vacancy will be filled by the third-placed club from the association ranked fifth (France), who otherwise compete in the league path"

This rule is crazy. Let's say two teams from Spain/England/Germany/Italy are both finalists of the Europa League and hailing from the same country. Team A finished in the league in position 1-4 whereas Team B finished in 5th place.

If Team B wins the final, the would qualify for the Champions League group stage.
If Team A wins the final, despite hailing from the same country as Team B, the 3rd place team in France qualifies directly to the group stage.

It's ridiculous. Why shouldn't the association that had 2 finalists get an advantage, rather than the 3rd place in France?

Let's bring an example because what I wrote is a bit complicated. Imagine Villarreal were still in the Europa League and end up in the final against Atletico. If Villarreal win, La Liga gets a bonus and has 5 clubs playing in the Champions League. If Atletico win, the bonus is inexplicably given to the French league.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MaCk0y » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:00 am

MUTU wrote:"If the UEFA Europa League holders have qualified for the group stage via their domestic championship, the vacancy will be filled by the third-placed club from the association ranked fifth (France), who otherwise compete in the league path"

This rule is crazy. Let's say two teams from Spain/England/Germany/Italy are both finalists of the Europa League and hailing from the same country. Team A finished in the league in position 1-4 whereas Team B finished in 5th place.

If Team B wins the final, the would qualify for the Champions League group stage.
If Team A wins the final, despite hailing from the same country as Team B, the 3rd place team in France qualifies directly to the group stage.

It's ridiculous. Why shouldn't the association that had 2 finalists get an advantage, rather than the 3rd place in France?

Let's bring an example because what I wrote is a bit complicated. Imagine Villarreal were still in the Europa League and end up in the final against Atletico. If Villarreal win, La Liga gets a bonus and has 5 clubs playing in the Champions League. If Atletico win, the bonus is inexplicably given to the French league.
I was going to say it's better for Leipzig to finish 5th or lower if they are going to win the EL so we have 5 German teams. Although it probably wouldn't matter..
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby #12 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:42 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:

They won't

(Now I sound like #12)

First of all I'm afraid they won’t finish below 4th
JUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPP
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby MUTU » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:50 am

#12 wrote:First of all I'm afraid they won’t finish below 4th

Because you hate them? If you manage to put your hate/dislike for them and what they stand for apart for a moment, don't you think it would be positive for German football in general if RB Leipzig qualifies for the Champions League next season?
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCB general » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:52 am

Yes.
Auf geht's ihr Roten!
FCB general
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Croatia

Postby #12 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:53 am

MUTU wrote:
#12 wrote:First of all I'm afraid they won’t finish below 4th

Because you hate them? If you manage to put your hate/dislike for them and what they stand for apart for a moment, don't you think it would be positive for German football in general if RB Leipzig qualifies for the Champions League next season?

It’s mostly them

I thought of that when I wrote it... Of course they’re more likely to gather a lot of points then say Frankfurt...
That said, I think the fewer German teams start next season, the better...
JUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPP
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby aterford » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:00 pm

Wasn't that similar to what happened last year with EPL?
United finished 6th but won Europa league so they got 5 spots. IIRC...
aterford
I'm a post king!

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:02 pm

MUTU wrote:"If the UEFA Europa League holders have qualified for the group stage via their domestic championship, the vacancy will be filled by the third-placed club from the association ranked fifth (France), who otherwise compete in the league path"

That's a good point. It should go to second place. If they're both already qualified, I'm ok with the current conditions.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Europa League