You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Official generic DFB-Pokal discussion thread

Discussions on the German Cup matches.

Re: Official generic DFB-Pokal discussion thread

Postby #12 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:59 pm

aterford wrote:
#12 wrote:Erm what?
I‘m a realist... Bundesliga and Pokal are doable for us... But away to Leverkusen is one of the 3-5 worst matchups possible for us... I said that wayy before Paderborn - after the Dortmund game when everybody here was celebrating a Pokal victory already... You don’t believe me? Check!
Also, I didn’t say it was impossible, but it’s going to be REALLY tough... Should we win this, I‘d jump the bandwagon and say Pokal was ours to lose...

Considering there were only six possible matchups for us at this point (Home/Away vs Frankfurt, Home/Away vs Schalke, Home/Away vs Leverkusen), I'd say it was pretty likely we'd end up with one of the 3-5 worst possible matchups. Which is incidentally one of the 3-5 best possible matchups.

Overall dude, not just right now...

And I honestly think we’re not heavy favorites... I‘d still bet on Bayern, but just because overall we have a little more quality...
JUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPP
Extreme Pessimist

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby America USA » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:46 pm

For a change I agree with 12. I don’t buy into that “Bayern are favourites” hype. Yes, Bayern do have the better quality players but the Pokal is not going to be a walk in the park. Leverkusen away is possibly one of the most difficult game in the domestic calendar. The fact that it is a Cup semifinal means both teams start at 50-50. What’s worse is I checked out that Bayern plays Gladbach just before this fixture.

I am pretty sure Schalke will win at home against Frankfurt. As someone above posted, If Bayern win the DFB Pokal this year, it will possibly be the toughest run in the Cup.
America USA
I post all the time

Years of membership

Postby aterford » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:36 pm

I mean, we've beat Leverkusen 3-1 twice this season (and once with Ancelotti). We have an 18 point lead in the league currently with 12 matches to go. In 13/14 we won the league on Matchday 27 and finished 19 points clear. Unless we collapse MASSIVELY, we should have the league done and dusted weeks before the next Pokal match...so the Gladbach match prior to it should in all likelihood be meaningless....

So...it might not be the easiest draw, but we're absolutely 100% the favorites. I mean, it has to be one team or another, no? I don't think anybody would argue Leverkusen are favorites. Same with Schalke and Frankfurt. We've had a tough run for sure but we would be rightly favored to advance against any of the three remaining teams.
aterford
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby #12 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:05 am

Since it’s an away game I think it’s 50-50... They are strong at home, we're mediocre away (against tough opponents at least) - a trait which we seem unable to let go off... So I don’t see any team as favorites...
Extreme Pessimist

National Flag:
Germany

Postby aterford » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:44 am

#12 wrote:Since it’s an away game I think it’s 50-50... They are strong at home, we're mediocre away (against tough opponents at least) - a trait which we seem unable to let go off... So I don’t see any team as favorites...

How do you figure? Like I said, we already beat them 3-1 away this year.... we've won every time against top-5 German opposition in away games this year...We've only lost once away to B04 in the last 5 years. The betting line is -150 for us and +400 for Leverkusen...
So the notion that both teams have an equal chance of winning? Absolutely, 100% unfounded. Even with your levels of pessimism, there is no way you can honestly tell me that both teams are on the same level. No chance.
Did you watch Leverkusen's last Pokal match? (or any of their matches this season...) I think you're vastly overstating just how much of a "tough opponent" they are...
aterford
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:28 am

#12 wrote:Since it’s an away game I think it’s 50-50... They are strong at home, we're mediocre away (against tough opponents at least) - a trait which we seem unable to let go off... So I don’t see any team as favorites...

It's not easy but it's at least 60-40 in our favour.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby #12 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:47 pm

55-45 at most
Extreme Pessimist

National Flag:
Germany

Postby DRvad14 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:14 pm

DRvad14
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India

Postby YlonenXabi » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:06 pm

One day we will lose a Pokal match and #12 will be there to say

I told you :roll:

But as far as I know, you shouldn't even be browsing this thread as you told us we were going to be knocked out 4 months ago in Leipzig \:D/

Yes, playing Leverkusen away from home is tough. Yes, they might beat us as it's a one legged tie. But I think it's safe to say we are favourites in this one. 60-40 maybe.
I TRUST IN ARJEN ROBBEN
YlonenXabi
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain

Postby #12 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:24 pm

YlonenXabi wrote:One day we will lose a Pokal match and #12 will be there to say

But as far as I know, you shouldn't even be browsing this thread as you told us we were going to be knocked out 4 months ago in Leipzig \:D/

Yes, playing Leverkusen away from home is tough. Yes, they might beat us as it's a one legged tie. But I think it's safe to say we are favourites in this one. 60-40 maybe.

Nope that’ll only happen in the Champions League...
Of course we are in theory the best team in that competition... But we still suck in away games...

And Leipzig? Even if I did say that, not exactly much of a backup for your point since we were rather lucky in that one... If you people insist on Kassai, we don’t need to talk about lucky calls in that game...
Extreme Pessimist

National Flag:
Germany

Postby aterford » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:58 pm

#12 wrote:
YlonenXabi wrote:One day we will lose a Pokal match and #12 will be there to say

Nope that’ll only happen in the Champions League...
Of course we are in theory the best team in that competition... But we still suck in away games...

And Leipzig? Even if I did say that, not exactly much of a backup for your point since we were rather lucky in that one... If you people insist on Kassai, we don’t need to talk about lucky calls in that game...

You can't be serious right now.
Even I would admit Kassai wasn't the only reason we lost (check my post history) but if you think the refereeing vs Madrid and the refereeing vs RBL were even remotely comparable, you weren't watching. Just take the L, man.
aterford
I'm a post king!

Postby #12 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:51 pm

Well, "comparable" is always difficult...
But we didn’t really stand a chance on 11vs.11 and while they got a red, we didn’t... It’s not that the ref favored us - but there was definitely a ton of luck coming our way in that game - and we won on penalties, not by 5... So I don’t see how one finds the nerves to accuse me of being way off (for THAT PARTICULAR game - not saying it doesn’t happen...)
Extreme Pessimist

National Flag:
Germany

Postby aterford » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:16 pm

#12 wrote:Well, "comparable" is always difficult...
But we didn’t really stand a chance on 11vs.11 and while they got a red, we didn’t... It’s not that the ref favored us - but there was definitely a ton of luck coming our way in that game - and we won on penalties, not by 5... So I don’t see how one finds the nerves to accuse me of being way off (for THAT PARTICULAR game - not saying it doesn’t happen...)

Sure, but the point is that (as YlonenXabi was saying) is that you were here saying we were gonna lose to RBL, we don't, and now it's "well yeah but we were lucky so that means we're not favorites vs Leverkusen" (who are worse than Leipzig)
aterford
I'm a post king!

Postby #12 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:09 am

-> I <- don’t see us as such, for reasons I mentioned... There’s maybe 7-10 teams in the world that manage to make us "not favorites"... Obviously we‘ll be considered to be - and don’t get me wrong, from a Bayern Munich team I EXPECT to pull through - doesn’t mean this is not going to be one of the toughest possible setups and matches for us...

Don’t know if they are worse... But if it came out that way, that was not what I was trying to say... Just that... We have an awful away record there...
Extreme Pessimist

National Flag:
Germany

Postby America USA » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:22 am

The reason why I think the semi final against Bayer will be 50-50 is because:
1. It is a one match KO cup game. Anything can happen in such games. Last year’s semifinal against Dortmund is proof.
2. Leverkusen are at home and the crowd will be behind them. Plus Bayern’s away record in Cups is not exactly great.
3. Between now and then Bayern play Wolfsburg away, Besiktas over 2 legs, Dortmund & Gladbach at home, travel to Leipzig and Augsburg and a potential Champions league QF against possibly very strong opponents. No “easy” opponents between now and this semifinal.

But that’s just me.
America USA
I post all the time

Years of membership

PreviousNext

Return to DFB-Pokal