You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2020-08-23] PSG vs Bayern Munich

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:00 pm

Paris Saint-Germain F.C. will win inside 90 minutes
3%
Paris Saint-Germain F.C. will win after extra time
No votes
Paris Saint-Germain F.C. will win on penalties
3%
Bayern Munich will win on penalties
No votes
Bayern Munich will win after extra time
3%
Bayern Munich will win inside 90 minutes
90%

Total votes : 30

Re: [2020-08-23] PSG vs Bayern Munich

Postby cuil » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:24 am

The weakest side is the left side (opposition POV) which Goretzka/Kimmich occupy. Because both of them roam too much. And both of them don't have the insane recovery speed Davies has. Happened during Barca, with Lyon, and will happen in PSG if Flick doesn't adjust. Might as well make a sign for "counter attack here".

Müller can be on the left and drop Perisic but between the choice of Goretzka or Müller in the center, I'd rather have Müller in the center.
cuil
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:37 am

Davies has to up his game again... yest he had quiet game
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:37 am

Awax wrote:We don't start strong, so we gotta survive the first 15-20 minutes to win this. And please.. not that high line again :(
A friend of mine who supports Bayern is saying the same thing. It is the biggest misconception I have ever seen.

There have been COUNTLESS games this season where we scored in the first 10 minutes. Two consecutive games like that don’t change that. It’s not a pattern. Especially when in 2 of the last 3 games we still scored in the first 10 minutes and we only conceded 1 own goal in all games at that time.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Ed. » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:41 am

About this high line, is it even working?

Isn't one of the points of the high line to catch the attackers off side every now and then?
I can't recall that happening even once vs Lyon. Every through ball or long ball seem to find an attacker onside and our defence then trying to catch up.

Can't have the same nonsense against Mbappe.
Ed.
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:58 am

Ed. wrote:About this high line, is it even working?

Isn't one of the points of the high line to catch the attackers off side every now and then?
I can't recall that happening even once vs Lyon. Every through ball or long ball seem to find an attacker onside and our defence then trying to catch up.

Can't have the same nonsense against Mbappe.
For what it’s worth, Barca and Chelsea both had several offsides. Lyon had only one.

I’m also not convinced but I think the high line has other important contributions, namely the pressing and the fact that all 4 of our defenders contribute to starting attacks.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

[2020-08-23] PSG vs Bayern Munich

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:04 am

Lyon took us apart with long balls yesterday. Truthfully, compared to the number of times they approached our area, they had very few big chances (though too many for my liking). That’s the thing with long balls... they very easily go wrong. We need to think about how to handle this though. I feel it’s not wrong to be more risky in that regard when you have the best sweeper-keeper of all time, and it would be wrong to forget that 1) we kept a clean sheet yesterday, and 2) Barca only scored an unlucky own goal and a goal with unbelievable individual brilliance. Whatever defensive liabilities we have, they are consistently not leading to goals. Nevertheless, minimising the risk and the dependence on Neuer is not a bad thing. I just hate the narrative that better finishers automatically equals goals or that with a beaten defence, a non-goal is lucky. We have possibly the best damn goalkeeper of all time, he is part of the team and there is no reason why tactics should not also take him into account even if most teams ignore the GK (even the way we discuss formations excludes them).
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby bbenno » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:17 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Lyon took us apart with long balls yesterday. Truthfully, compared to the number of times they approached our area, they had very few big chances (though too many for my liking). That’s the thing with long balls... they very easily go wrong. We need to think about how to handle this though. I feel it’s not wrong to be more risky in that regard when you have the best sweeper-keeper of all time, and it would be wrong to forget that 1) we kept a clean sheet yesterday, and 2) Barca only scored an unlucky own goal and a goal with unbelievable individual brilliance. Whatever defensive liabilities we have, they are consistently not leading to goals. Nevertheless, minimising the risk and the dependence on Neuer is not a bad thing. I just hate the narrative that better finishers automatically equals goals or that with a beaten defence, a non-goal is lucky. We have possibly the best damn goalkeeper of all time, he is part of the team and there is no reason why tactics should not also take him into account even if most teams ignore the GK (even the way we discuss formations excludes them).

True! But... PSG have Mbappe and Neymar who is in good form at the moment. We have to do something about the defense and the high line. If we can sort that out, while at the same time win the ball back high against them, then we should win.
bbenno
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Denmark

Postby Hakara » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:17 am

Not that confident after last nights game. I don't know if it's because we were tired, or because players switched off a bit. The first 15 and the second half was dreadful at times, and we can't allow those moments of lack of focus vs PSG, doubt Mbappe would have hit the post. Too many misses offensively as well from Lewa, goretzka and müller.

We have to beat PSG, not just for us but for the sake of football.
Hakara
Woah, this feels cool!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Norway

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:19 am

Flick has to be careful not to fall in the trap Tuchel is preparing...
I am sure that the latter will instruct Neymar to fall back dragging with him two mdf players and distribute inch perfect long balls over our full backs for Mbappe and di Maria to chase.

Imo Pavard has to be our RB ....
One of Leon or Thiago have to be benched.
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby bbenno » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:20 am

Hakara wrote:Not that confident after last nights game. I don't know if it's because we were tired, or because players switched off a bit. The first 15 and the second half was dreadful at times, and we can't allow those moments of lack of focus vs PSG, doubt Mbappe would have hit the post. Too many misses offensively as well from Lewa, goretzka and müller.

We have to beat PSG, not just for us but for the sake of football.

Agree. I really want Bayern to win the trophy, but rarely have I been so focused on also NOT letting the other team win it - if you know what I mean. PSG are worse than Shitty in that regard and I can’t wait to wipe that smirk off of Neymars face.
bbenno
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
Denmark

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:24 am

bbenno wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:Lyon took us apart with long balls yesterday. Truthfully, compared to the number of times they approached our area, they had very few big chances (though too many for my liking). That’s the thing with long balls... they very easily go wrong. We need to think about how to handle this though. I feel it’s not wrong to be more risky in that regard when you have the best sweeper-keeper of all time, and it would be wrong to forget that 1) we kept a clean sheet yesterday, and 2) Barca only scored an unlucky own goal and a goal with unbelievable individual brilliance. Whatever defensive liabilities we have, they are consistently not leading to goals. Nevertheless, minimising the risk and the dependence on Neuer is not a bad thing. I just hate the narrative that better finishers automatically equals goals or that with a beaten defence, a non-goal is lucky. We have possibly the best damn goalkeeper of all time, he is part of the team and there is no reason why tactics should not also take him into account even if most teams ignore the GK (even the way we discuss formations excludes them).

True! But... PSG have Mbappe and Neymar who is in good form at the moment. We have to do something about the defense and the high line. If we can sort that out, while at the same time win the ball back high against them, then we should win.
As I said, I do think we need to minimise the risk and I mentioned how Lyon got past our pressing (which wasn’t very present anyway... energy saving?) because it’s a point that needs analysing.

The constant attacks on our high line annoy me though, possibly because I am exposed to English commentators. Simply put, so far it hasn’t really been a problem in any game.

I still think there should be some tactical adjustments.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:24 am

30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:25 am

MUTU wrote:
I kind of lean towards this but it also feels like too many changes. I would be uncomfortable.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Achilles » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:35 am

YlonenXabi wrote:It's not a matter of quality, but fitness. I noticed some of our players were almost DEAD from the very beginning and I'm not sure they can recover in just a few days
Thiago and Goretzka were exhausted and could barely play a simple pass. Thiago was trying, but he kept misplacing passes or losing possession. Goretzka was just ghost wandering around
And I wasn't expecting our defense to be so shaky. Luckily lot of stuff can happen during a football match and we also have world class atackers. But at this moment I have no clue how are we going to stop Neymar, Mbappe and Di Maria

I disagree on the fitness level. I believe that was an intentional tactical withdraw from Flick in the second half, playing as much as to keep the clean sheet and find a hole to finish the game and it worked -almost- perfectly with the missed chance of Perisic and Lewy's goal. We looked vulnerable in the second half because we played a passive passing game IMO. I just think they overdid it and we looked shaky. In the first half we were out of the game because of the midfield after the goal we completely dominated the game and we could win the first half with 4-0 easily.
As for Goretzka, I think he was great, tremendous runs, fighting spirit, interpreted many many passes and was the first one along with Muller harassing them off the ball. Fortunately Thiago made some contribution with some pressing and tackles too because in the playmaking he was miserable.

Against Neymar & Mbappe hardly any defense can shut them down completely if they are in form, yesterday's performance doesn't change that and frankly I believe that Bayern underestimated Lyon in their minds. Sunday will be a different game and most of these players have faced PSG again, they know what to expect and Flick I'm sure will play more deep than usual. Neymar & Mbappe are on another level when they have free space, he is a smart guy, he'll have something to defend that in the best possible way but again you saw what Gnabry did yesterday, when top quality emerges in a perfect timing there is not much you can do. It's a final after all with two TOP squads who have the quality to score 2 goals in 5 minutes, that can change everything. We'll see but I have faith in Flick and the boys, they haven't let us down for months now.
Mia san mia
Achilles
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby longeleven » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:38 am

Before 1999 finale, I didn't remember exactly the feeling, just exciting perhaps. I was very young back then, and very proud of my team, was the only Bayern-pro among MU's friends, feel unique etc :oops: after the game, full of anger and already consider Manchester United as enemy for life.

2001 finale, very confident with Oli Kahn and Effenberg. I knew we will win by those two and it happened exactly like that.

2010 finale, I was a bit worry and prepared for a defeat with little hope on Robben. Nothing special after the game, accepted the result as expected.

2012 finale, with all matured mind and body with loss and victory, I was chilled and wait for a victory. After the game, it was like empty.

2013 finale, I knew we will win the game within 90m, that Super Bayern is too strong to lose. Not even celebrated Robben's goal, just saying to a friend "I told you so, within 90m".

This year, same feeling as 2013, even calmer. Just wait for the treble.

And the fact, next year, there will be no clown to replace Flick's Bayern, make me smirking 8)
longeleven
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League