You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2019-02-19] Liverpool vs Bayern Munich

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:00 pm

Liverpool F.C. will win
50%
It will end in a draw
9%
Bayern Munich will win
41%

Total votes : 34

Re: [2019-02-19] Liverpool vs Bayern Munich

Postby Dumbledore7 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:14 pm

Indeed. In a match like yesterday, one perfect unplanned diagonal pass is all you need for a goal.
Dumbledore7
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Indonesia
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby shpati_L1 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:19 pm

If Rafinha costs us a CL elimination two years in a row it's going to get ugly.
shpati_L1
2016/17 & 2012/13 Prediction Games Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Albania

Postby Machiavellico » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:42 pm

Did I really see Bayern defend last night? Is such sorcery even possible?

PE14
Machiavellico
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Romania

Postby Bayernbazi » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:08 pm

Bayernbazi
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:35 pm

U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby IsiahRashad » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:03 pm

Can't see tweet? Click here!

Niko don't give a fuck. :mrgreen:
IsiahRashad
Moderator & 2019/20 Prediction Game Winner
Moderator & 2019/20 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Bulgaria

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:06 pm

LMAO never seen a coach admit that
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby bastos80 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:06 pm

IsiahRashad wrote: Can't see tweet? Click here!

Niko don't give a ****. :mrgreen:

What a moron...
Sané ---- Lewandowski ---- Gnabry
Davies - Thiago - Kimmich - Dest
Hernández -- Alaba -- Upamecano
--------------- Neuer ----------------
bastos80

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Dumbledore7 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:07 pm

What the actual fuck
Dumbledore7

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby aterford » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:30 pm

MUTU wrote:Just wondering why these kind of tactics weren't on show while we were beating BVB and Fortuna Duesseldorf. Is it pride? I think such tactics don't go down too well with the Bayern faithful who like to see flowing attacking football at all times. Yesterday seemed like the kind of match I would expect from the Italian national team. It worked, but it doesn't quite have that Bayern 'mark' to it.

I do think there's some truth to this. On a bigger scale, it reminds me of what I was saying about Kimmich: he (and the team as a whole, I think) perhaps don't respect BL sides as much as UCL opponents, or aren't as afraid of them. They don't feel that they need to worry about defending too much, because we're Bayern and we've ran the BL for years and it's no biggie. It's why Kimmich plays as a third winger and Süle as a second striker and so on - but when need be, when they commit to it, they can defend and grind out a result just fine.

FCBayernMunchen wrote:I've thought of two possible things:
1) We are unable to switch tactics mid-game, which is a big weakness. This has been a problem in other games this season.
2) Kovac needs a long time to prepare. That's why he handled Liverpool well tactically. Most of the time there are only 3-7 days before a game though.

And I think there's some truth to this too. I'm not sure if we were unable to switch tactics yesterday or if it was intentional - at halftime, things looked okay, but we had virtually no offensive threats whatsoever. I was hoping to see some small changes to perhaps spring a counter quicker and perhaps steal an away goal. That didn't really happen and nothing much changed. Maybe that's intentional, didn't want to risk breaking a good structure, but as you say, it's been a problem at other times. And that kind of feeds in to your second point, I think....I think even in a week-to-week, match-in match-out period, Kovac isn't that bad of a planner, of a tactician. Even for the frequent games with not much prep time, I think he generally does alright. The trouble is the think-on-your-feet mid-game adjustments. I can't tell you how many matches we've had this year where we have a strong first half, the opposing manager makes some changes and we have no answers and spend the whole second half hanging on for dear life. Maybe that will change with more time/experience. I'm trying to take it easy on Niko as I really did think he did really well yesterday, but at the same time it's no secret that many have questioned how tactically flexible he can be. I think that's definitely a big area of improvement for him going forward.

bastos80 wrote:I think Boateng should definitely play.
Whenever Süle had the ball, we really had no idea what to do.
We need Boateng's passes and I think when there is a good defensive concept like yesterday, Boateng can still pull it off (see Hummels).

I'm kind of feeling the same way. For all our complaints here and there, I think that Boateng-Hummels is still our most proven and strongest CB pair. I don't think Süle had a bad game per se but there were so many times that called for a Boateng long-ball over the top and instead it was a Süle back-pass to Neuer.
#BigFlickEnergy
aterford

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Dumbledore7 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:51 pm

aterford wrote: instead it was a Süle back-pass to Neuer.

This is perfectly fine. I think you meant Süle's misplaced forward-pass to a Liverpool player.
Dumbledore7

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby Manchu » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:31 pm

It occurs to me that Niko basically did what Pep never had the sense to do. He accepted that if we tried playing our own game away against a great counter-attacking team, we would get ourselves destroyed and be out of the tie before the second leg even started. We'll have to see if it pays off, but I have to say I think it's a positive step.
Manchu
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:56 pm

bastos80 wrote:
IsiahRashad wrote: Can't see tweet? Click here!

Niko don't give a ****. :mrgreen:

What a moron...
Or he was drunk... did he really said that????
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:58 pm

Dumbledore7 wrote:
aterford wrote: instead it was a Süle back-pass to Neuer.

This is perfectly fine. I think you meant Süle's misplaced forward-pass to a Liverpool player.
Even James did many of those....
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:06 pm

aterford wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:I've thought of two possible things:
1) We are unable to switch tactics mid-game, which is a big weakness. This has been a problem in other games this season.
2) Kovac needs a long time to prepare. That's why he handled Liverpool well tactically. Most of the time there are only 3-7 days before a game though.

And I think there's some truth to this too. I'm not sure if we were unable to switch tactics yesterday or if it was intentional - at halftime, things looked okay, but we had virtually no offensive threats whatsoever. I was hoping to see some small changes to perhaps spring a counter quicker and perhaps steal an away goal. That didn't really happen and nothing much changed. Maybe that's intentional, didn't want to risk breaking a good structure, but as you say, it's been a problem at other times. And that kind of feeds in to your second point, I think....I think even in a week-to-week, match-in match-out period, Kovac isn't that bad of a planner, of a tactician. Even for the frequent games with not much prep time, I think he generally does alright. The trouble is the think-on-your-feet mid-game adjustments. I can't tell you how many matches we've had this year where we have a strong first half, the opposing manager makes some changes and we have no answers and spend the whole second half hanging on for dear life. Maybe that will change with more time/experience. I'm trying to take it easy on Niko as I really did think he did really well yesterday, but at the same time it's no secret that many have questioned how tactically flexible he can be. I think that's definitely a big area of improvement for him going forward.

Fully agree. With regard to the comment about being unable to change midgame, I did not mean that happened yesterday. In fact I posted earlier about how I thought our second half was much better. I was responding to MUTU's question about why we couldn't do that when leading vs Dortmund (for example). Yesterday we intended to play the whole game like that. Somehow it's not the same when we have to start playing like that during the game.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League