You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2019-02-19] Liverpool vs Bayern Munich

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:00 pm

Liverpool F.C. will win
50%
It will end in a draw
9%
Bayern Munich will win
41%

Total votes : 34

Re: [2019-02-19] Liverpool vs Bayern Munich

Postby MUTU » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:08 pm

30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby MUTU » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:11 pm

America USA wrote:FYI Süle is faster than both Boateng and Hummels. :roll:

If Boateng plays then we’ve lost before the referee has blown his whistle. I guess that’s when you guys will finally see the light and get it in your brains what I’ve been trying to explain for half a year now.

Why do you not read properly, misunderstand, don't check the formation, and then eyeroll on top of that?

When I said I want Boateng's speed, I was quite obviously referring to Boateng vs Hummels, in fact I thought I made that quite clear in the very same sentence. Suele should start, but Hummels is too slow to handle the speed of Liverpool's attack.

You just saw the word Boateng and couldn't see anything else through your bloodshot eyes, didn't you? You got to lay off the hatred.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby aterford » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:15 pm

Süle might be marginally faster but TBH I think they all tend to struggle with pacey attackers at this point. Not going to feel much more or less confident either way based on which two CBs start, honestly.
#BigFlickEnergy
aterford
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby America USA » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:16 pm

Hummels knows Klopp and his positioning is superior to Boateng. With Boateng the defense will be sitting ducks. I can easily see him getting caught out of position and then making a last ditch lunging foul on Salah or Mane and getting sent off or worse conceding a penalty.

Also it’s no hate but common sense. Boateng is the Ribery of Bayern’s defense. Once upon a time both were great but in 2018-19 they are a liability to the club.
America USA
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:22 pm

aterford wrote:Süle might be marginally faster but TBH I think they all tend to struggle with pacey attackers at this point. Not going to feel much more or less confident either way based on which two CBs start, honestly.

I'm not even sure that Süle is faster than Boateng. Sure, Süle's got a higher top speed, but Boateng definitely has better acceleration and agility. On short distances, Boateng will beat Süle. On long distances, Süle will beat Boateng. Now, we're playing a high defence line, so defenders are being exposed to longer distances of running, so that would explain why Süle gives the perception of being faster. If we're sitting deep though, Boateng will look faster, I'm sure about this. Süle is slow on the turn and in his first 2-3 steps.

Only thing that's sure is that Hummels is our slowest central defender (and if God forbid Javi plays there, he'd be even slower).
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:33 pm

Can anyone guide me on the process of trying to get 2 tickets?
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:38 pm

America USA wrote:Also it’s no hate but common sense. Boateng is the Ribery of Bayern’s defense. Once upon a time both were great but in 2018-19 they are a liability to the club.

No, it's not "common sense", it's an opinion.

Take WhoScored ratings as an example.
Bundesliga: Lewandowski 7.43 (best), Hummels 7.03, Süle 6.96, Boateng 6.83, Ribéry 6.72, Neuer 6.08 (worst)
Champions League: Lewandowski 8.01 (best), Hummels 7.51, Ribéry 7.19, Süle 7.07, Boateng 6.86, Wagner 6.07 (worst)

You probably think it's "common sense" that Süle > Hummels, but the player ratings paint a different picture, in fact make Hummels an outside candidate for player of the season. Thing is, he has shown his big weaknesses when exposed against fast attackers, which is exactly what Liverpool have. Boateng may be our weakest central defender, but he'd be less exposed to Liverpool's fast attacking line.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:40 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Can anyone guide me on the process of trying to get 2 tickets?

We have a thread just for that; also it'd help to specify if you're talking about the 1st or 2nd leg.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby America USA » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:44 pm

Statistics/Numbers can be very misleading at times. Statistics is how the Özilists endlessly defend Mesut all the effing time on Arsenal Fan websites. I trust my eyes more than what any “fact” that statisticians or mathematicians try to come up with.

You and Other Boateng maniacs won’t rest until his mistake directly leads to Bayern getting eliminated in the UCL. Looks like you guys will get your wish soon, but sadly all Bayern fans (myself included) will have to pay for you nostalgic lots’ obstinacy.
Last edited by America USA on Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
America USA
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:45 pm

icewizard wrote:Oh my God guys, stop being pussies! We're still FC Bayern. I know some of you will believe i'm blinded by the club love, and i don't deny i am. But guys, we're strong enough for them to believe that it's not done, and they are strong enough for us to believe it's not done.

So why be stressed now, let's just hope things work out in our favour, but saying "we're done" or "we're out" doesn't help the matter, except displaying your weakness and your lack of confidence in the club.

Pinpointing out our shortcomings is a good thing, but thinking we've lost without playing the game is another.

I hope y'all change your attitude.

The game is so far away it's impossible to make a prediction, but here's what I think:
We are already seeing an improvement with players returning from injury. If they are still fit, we do stand a chance.

With Coman and Gnabry, possibly Davies on the wings we'll be fast going forward. This already gets rid of our major problem, how slow Robbery are. Liverpool's defence is not that great, especially with Van Dijk out in the crucial away game.

Then there's Muller suspended. This should mean James starts. With James and Thiago both in the lineup there should be plenty of chances for our fast wingers and Lewa (who hopefully won't disappear).

Our defence has been a big issue since Kovac became coach but at the end of the day they are not terrible players. Hopefully they'll show up and play. Neuer is still the best goalkeeper in the world. I trust him vs Salah and co.

The main concern I have (assuming no injuries) is what happens with that other midfield role apart from Thiago and James. I don't really trust Javi but I suspect he'll be playing to control their offence. It would have been good to have Vidal or even Tolisso for this game... If Javi plays well or Goretzka doesn't cause a lack of balance, we can easily win the midfield and minimise the chances their forwards have.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:47 pm

MUTU wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:Can anyone guide me on the process of trying to get 2 tickets?

We have a thread just for that; also it'd help to specify if you're talking about the 1st or 2nd leg.

I know but the thread doesn't really deal with CL games and away games at that. Ideally I would get hold of them through the official means, otherwise I will probably give up.

I mean the first leg, hence the match thread. ;)
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby sch0ll7 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:49 pm

Damn that is some draw. 2 cracking games in front of us. CL at its best. But I am worried that Liverpool are the favorites here.

Like someone mentioned...good thing Muller is out for this one. We play with 10 men when he is on the field.

We should just play 4-3-3 with Coman and Gnabry/Robben and go for counters. Lewa up.
Thiago, James and Martinez/Tolisso in the middle. I know Martinez is not good at the moment and Tolisso is out but Goretzka is just not good enough for now and doesnt have the experience that Martinez has on this level.

Hopefully all our players are healthy for this one as I want to see Hummels and Sule as CBs.

There is still a lot of time for our team to improve and if I judge by past seasons we will be better in 2nd half of the season. Whenever we had a bad start to the season we somehow got better in the 2nd half...whenever we started the season great...we somehow got worse in the season finale.

Looking forward to this tie!
Starin` at the world through my rearview
sch0ll7
Moderator & EURO 2012 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Location: "I'm a Bayern Munich player and I've no intention of joining that club. I'm fine thanks."

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:50 pm

America USA wrote:
MUTU wrote:
Dumbledore7 wrote:We do stand a small chance. Can't help but feel some optimism about Lewandowski and James facing Matip and Lovren.

That's the thing. We do have the tools to sit back, keep it tight at the back, and then counter them targeting their weak point (their defence). However, we know damn right that we're not going to sit back. I'd be very positively surprised if we do NOT, tactically and intentionally, leave acres of spaces for Salah and Mane to run into.

That’s the thing though. We have the players to beat Liverpool but it’s the tactical part where I think we’ll be demolished. Provided Kovac is here and assuming he doesn’t change his game plans, we’re in for a pasting in the Ro16.

Klopp will obliterate Kovac over 180 Minutes and it won’t be pretty. However, maybe a bloodbath and a humiliation is what is needed for the Bayern board to realize the faults rotting this club and push certain players out of Bayern.

This draw has ruined my Monday. Very disappointed. Perhaps I’ll not post as often from now on in the UCL section :(

For all we know Kovac will do better vs a team of equal/better quality. At least he can rely on what he took from Frankfurt.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't trust Kovac either. But there is room for hope...
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:51 pm

The schedule

2nd February (FC Bayern kick off 30 minutes earlier)
Leverkusen vs FC Bayern: 

West Ham vs Liverpool: 

--------------------------------------------------------------

6th February (FC Bayern play, Liverpool don't)
Hertha vs FC Bayern that could finish with extra time: 

9th February (FC Bayern kick off 2.5 hours later)
Liverpool vs Bournemouth: 

FC Bayern vs Schalke: 

15th to 17th February (FC Bayern play, Liverpool don't)
FC Augsburg vs FC Bayern (not yet scheduled)

19th February
Liverpool vs FC Bayern: 

Conclusion: FC Bayern play 2 extra matches in the run-up to the match. Furthermore, by the time Liverpool kick off their last ball and start preparing for the match against Bayern in the same stadium, FC Bayern have to:
- play a match against Schalke
- travel to Augsburg
- play against Augsburg
- travel back to Munich
- travel to Liverpool.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby aterford » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:52 pm

America USA wrote:Hummels knows Klopp and his positioning is superior to Boateng. With Boateng the defense will be sitting ducks. I can easily see him getting caught out of position and then making a last ditch lunging foul on Salah or Mane and getting sent off or worse conceding a penalty.

Also it’s no hate but common sense. Boateng is the Ribery of Bayern’s defense. Once upon a time both were great but in 2018-19 they are a liability to the club.

I don't know about this.
Boateng makes many more individual mistakes, more high-profile goofs, but positionally? I'm not sure I'd agree that Hummels is a better positional defender. I'd agree that he is more individually sound, but I think Hummels' positioning has always been a weakness compared to Boateng's...even this season he's struggled to hold the defense's shape which ends up hurting all the other defenders. Boateng's mistakes are more obvious, but Hummels' positioning troubles cause plenty of mistakes too...they just end up causing troubles for others more so than Hummels himself.

In short: Hummels-Süle is fine by me but I wouldn't point to Boateng's positioning as a reason for why Hummels should start.
#BigFlickEnergy
aterford
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League