You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2020-08-14] FC Barcelona vs Bayern Munich

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:00 pm

FC Barcelona will win inside 90 minutes
20%
FC Barcelona will win after extra time
No votes
FC Barcelona will win on penalties
No votes
Bayern Munich will win on penalties
7%
Bayern Munich will win after extra time
13%
Bayern Munich will win inside 90 minutes
60%

Total votes : 15

Re: [2020-08-14] FC Barcelona vs Bayern Munich

Postby aterford » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:18 pm

I'm sure I'm probably repeating myself but I really do think it's ultimately going to come down to whether or not Messi can produce some magic (or perhaps a better way of saying it: whether or not we can prevent Messi from producing some magic) and will his team to victory...Other than that, barring the "Messi-factor" I think we should be favored in most other regards.
For me Flick is the far, FAR superior tactician to Setien. He has not been particularly convincing in "big matches" and there's often a feeling that sometimes the game gets a bit past him, this was seemingly evident vs Napoli - a good first half, but didn't really respond well in the second half and looked pretty sloppy and out of sorts. It seems to me also that he's not one to make any big changes ahead of a big match. I expect we will see largely the same lineup we have been getting in the UCL this season, and I think that probably works in our favor. No Fati, no Puig, probably no Dembele leaves them with very little pace to counter - and if they run out their 4-3-3 with Griezmann-Suarez-Messi up top then I'd expect Kimmich and Davies to have a pretty fun outing. Those three combine for next to zero defensive contribution and should in theory free up our fullbacks to make runs as they please. So hopefully that is the case, and ideally including Rakitic in midfield. IMO he has not been very good this season, which would allow us to mostly focus on de Jong and to a lesser degree (IMO) Busquets and cut-off a lot of their ability to progress the ball to Messi.
All that to say that - if it comes down to just tactics alone, I think we should be through. We have the more talented squad overall (Yes, it's true) and the superior manager, so it really will just come down to whether or not Messi can bring out a brilliant performance that's enough to get them by. Thankfully, when it comes to this season, we have perhaps the one player on the planet who's been able to rival Messi this year in terms of brilliant individual performances. Would be great to see a top performance from Lewy to really put those "can't perform in the KOs" stories to bed.
#BigFlickEnergy
aterford
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ramsej84 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:22 pm

guys PLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS keep your feet grounded.
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Firefox1234 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:08 pm

In my opinion we have to hit Barca hard and fast from the first minute. Unlike the last time we faced them and they have speed on the wings with Neymar and Messi, now they have an aging Messi and Suarez and Griezmann who is more of a central player than a wide one. We have to expose those wings while counting on Alaba and Davies to hold down the back. I am very optimistic for this match.
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby aterford » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:59 pm

Firefox1234 wrote:In my opinion we have to hit Barca hard and fast from the first minute. Unlike the last time we faced them and they have speed on the wings with Neymar and Messi, now they have an aging Messi and Suarez and Griezmann who is more of a central player than a wide one. We have to expose those wings while counting on Alaba and Davies to hold down the back. I am very optimistic for this match.

I feel the same.

IMO if I were facing Bayern Munich I'd want to attack in two ways: width and pace. I think that's what has often caused us the most problems.

At the moment, Barcelona's most-used (and IMO most-likely-to-be-used) lineup really doesn't feature much of either.
#BigFlickEnergy
aterford

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Fénix » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:09 pm

You 2 said very well.
I think our physicality and running power is also on our side. We can outrun them easily since they were one of the slowest teams in the group stage, ie the team with low covered distance or what's the name of the UEFA's stat.

Flick adores tempo football, pressing, fast short passing and quickly to reach 16m box while Barcelona quite opposite. A lot of energy we put in our playing style.

Catalans have always hated pressing fanatics such as Klopp, Heynckes, Flick, Ten Hag, Conte, even few years ago Ernesto Valverde's Bilbao when he destroyed Enrique's Barca in the Spanish super cup and won the title.

God, we have waited for so long this match and as someone earlier this day said, Flick is better tactician than Setién.
Fénix

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Croatia

Postby Ben Gardner » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:12 pm

sherpthederp wrote:
Ben Gardner wrote:Barcelona is a team full of Hobbits and I really hope Bayern will kick them out, hopefully all the way to Middle Earth. Never liked that team and never will.

Don’t you insult Hobbits like that. If anything they are closer to being Bavarian than Spaniards with their love for beer and good food. Barcelona are prissy elves

I sincerely apologies to every Hobbit out there, I now relize I went to far, being compared with any player from Barca is something that no one should be accused of, not even the prissy elves.
Ben Gardner
Woah, this feels cool!

National Flag:
Sweden

Postby vtotheinay » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:15 am

vtotheinay
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby sherpthederp » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:37 am

Ben Gardner wrote:
sherpthederp wrote:
Ben Gardner wrote:Barcelona is a team full of Hobbits and I really hope Bayern will kick them out, hopefully all the way to Middle Earth. Never liked that team and never will.

Don’t you insult Hobbits like that. If anything they are closer to being Bavarian than Spaniards with their love for beer and good food. Barcelona are prissy elves

I sincerely apologies to every Hobbit out there, I now relize I went to far, being compared with any player from Barca is something that no one should be accused of, not even the prissy elves.

:lol:
sherpthederp
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby Firefox1234 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:44 am

I imagine it will be a diamond 442

--------------Busquets--------------

Roberto------------------Vidal-----

--------------de Jong-----------------

Messi--------------------------Suarez

Still shouldn't affect Bayern's game plan. Stretch the field and attacking those wide areas hard, fast and often with Coman/Davies and Gnabry/Kimmich.
Welcome to the Allianz Arena....

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Firefox1234

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Kenya

Postby aterford » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:31 am

Firefox1234 wrote:I imagine it will be a diamond 442

--------------Busquets--------------

Roberto------------------Vidal-----

--------------de Jong-----------------

Messi--------------------------Suarez

Still shouldn't affect Bayern's game plan. Stretch the field and attacking those wide areas hard, fast and often with Coman/Davies and Gnabry/Kimmich.

Yeah probably more or less. Some would say 4-1-2-1-2. But either way: only thing is I think Setien has actually preferred Vidal in a more advanced role and so I'd actually expect him to be the one behind Messi/Suarez in that approach - swap him and FdJ.

Anyways....it'll be interesting. Honestly I think that's the right approach for them. Like I said before, if they play their traditional 4-3-3 then our fullbacks and wingers would eat them alive. This ostensibly asks more of our midfielders but at same time will force Barca to rely on Alba and Semedo for width/pace...which has had mixed results in the past.
Truthfully it's not super removed from the 4-3-1-2 they ran out vs Napoli. A bit different in implementation but in both cases they're not really fielding any proper wingers and relying on fullbacks for pace and width. What we saw vs Napoli yesterday is that they were SUPER narrow....Napoli basically allowed them to have the flanks and focused on clogging up the middle and I think it worked okay actually. But the resulting narrow-ness on Barca's part made it so their fullbacks - the width/pace-providers - ended up being largely isolated for much of the match and put them in a tough spot. You need to push up to provide width but at the same time...doing so ends up leaving huge spaces for the opposing wingers behind. But hang back too far and you give space for both the fullback and winger to operate...then you (the fullback) ends up finding themselves defending a 1v2.
All that to say: ultimately it - like many other matches - came down to Messi producing what it would take for them to get through. Ultimately Napoli finished with 18 chances and a number of close ones that didn't quite fall their way, especially in the second half. I suspect that if we manage to get 18 chances we'll likely find ourselves with a result we're happy with. :wink:
#BigFlickEnergy
aterford

Postby sch0ll7 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:32 am

It will be a superb game. It sucks that there wont be any fans at the stadium.

If we play like we did against chelsea...then we dont have to worry about anything (except Messi).
The way I see it...

We are stronger, faster and most important hungrier. I just loved how our guys were acting in our last game with Chelsea. They just wouldnt stop fighting even when it was clear we are going through. It reminds me of 2013. Hopefully it ends the same.

I hate that Pavard got injured. we are lucky to have Kimmich who is IMO a world class RB and Thiago coming back to midfield. Goretzka showed he can be a solid partner in midfield. So Pavards injury is not such a big blow.

When it comes to attack...i would rather play Perisic than Coman. he is not a better dribbler and doesnt have such speed but he is way more tacticaly experienced and helps with defending a lot, and is always good for a goal or an assist. I would bring Coman in later in 2nd half if we need him to use his speed.

Flick knows what to do. We need to press them and harass them all the time to regain possession..and chances will come.
Starin` at the world through my rearview
sch0ll7
Moderator & EURO 2012 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Location: "I'm a Bayern Munich player and I've no intention of joining that club. I'm fine thanks."

Postby Alexander » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:32 am

I am a little worried about our defence, not sure if it is enough against a team like Barca. On the other hand I think we can create a lot of chances.
Alexander
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membership

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:59 am

Mueller has to do a lot of dirty work ... more than he usually does. He has to help our two cms
Again Pavard is a huge loss.
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby nm462272 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:42 am

would prefer to see Tolisso start instead of Goretzka; i think the partnership works better with Thiago. Other than that, I think Perisic should start and then Coman should come on in the 60th minute or so, add some extra speed at the end of the game.
Des interessiert mi ois ned, der Scheißdreck. Weltmeister samma! Den Pott hamma! Den scheiß goldener Schuh kannst da hinter d’Ohr’n schmiern! - Mia San Mia

Euer Hass ist unser Stolz!
nm462272
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby Evan van Essen » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:19 am

nm462272 wrote:would prefer to see Tolisso start instead of Goretzka; i think the partnership works better with Thiago. Other than that, I think Perisic should start and then Coman should come on in the 60th minute or so, add some extra speed at the end of the game.
I think goretzka is better defensively and runs/presses more and is more agressive in defensive duels.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A5010 met Tapatalk
Evan van Essen
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Netherlands

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League