You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2020-08-14] FC Barcelona vs Bayern Munich

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:00 pm

FC Barcelona will win inside 90 minutes
20%
FC Barcelona will win after extra time
No votes
FC Barcelona will win on penalties
No votes
Bayern Munich will win on penalties
7%
Bayern Munich will win after extra time
13%
Bayern Munich will win inside 90 minutes
60%

Total votes : 15

Re: [2020-08-14] FC Barcelona vs Bayern Munich

Postby IsiahRashad » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:06 pm

MUTU wrote:Well, Barcelona are maybe finally starting to understand that their over-reliance on a player who is infallibly underwhelming when his team isn't the favourite to progress through a knockout round is... unhealthy.

The last time that Messi scored in a knockout round in which his team (Barcelona or Argentina) was eliminated, he was still a teenager. For all the goals he scores when his team is dominating, he really falls on his arse when his team needs him to score most.

They have much bigger problems than only Messi. I said after the first 45 minutes, that this was the worst Barcelona which I saw in my entire life.
They some kind of remind me when we relied on 34 and 35 years old Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery - when we were not buying a new wingers and still relying on them in the big games- they are doing the same thing with almost 1/3 of their squad:

- Pique - 33 yo;
- Alba - 31 yo;
- Rakitic - 32 yo;
- Vidal - 33 yo;
- Sergio Busquets - 32 yo;
- Messi - 33 yo;
- Suarez - 33 yo;

The old guys are not hungry. They were comfortable with no guys really coming after them from the bench - no competiton for places. Looking at Quique Setién - a great person, who is just not a coach for big club and his tactical understandings and reading all his coments - he was saying that his team is Messi and almost no one else.

Antoine Griezmann, Barcelona’s third most expensive player in their history, had started on the bench. Ousmane Dembélé, their second most expensive, was not there: (despite being on the bench) - injured again, his career in Catalonia slipping from his control or anyone else’s. Coutinho - the player which they payed 145m, scored 2 goals and assisted 1 time against them. And instead of giving a chance to the young guys like Fati, Arthur, Puig or Firpo - they are even trading the Brazilian for a 30 yo Pjanic.

They are not the only successors lost, the only plans gone awry. Neymar, the man who would play alongside and eventually replace Messi, should be taking the lead now. But he became impatient and Barcelona were powerless to prevent him leaving in 2017. This spring, six directors walked out, meaning 11 of the 21 board members who began Josep Maria Bartomeu’s mandate have gone. There have also been four sporting directors and as many directors of communication. And it goes back further. In 2014, Luis Suárez, Ivan Rakitic and Marc-André ter Stegen signed. Since then, Barcelona have brought in 28 players for almost €1bn. Those are the ones who did come – the failed pursuit of a striker ended up being comic – and none are an unqualified success.

So, from where you want me to stary my friend?
IsiahRashad
Moderator & 2019/20 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Bulgaria

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:48 pm

Jorge wrote:
Dumbledore7 wrote:
MUTU wrote:Fuck, our players are so mature. I'm starting to seriously believe in the treble!

It’s things like this that make me think that maybe we are re-building correctly even though we’ve signed the wrong skillset of players. Most big clubs lose the dressing room culture as soon as they had an era-defining departure like Robben and Ribery.

Actually, I have been hearing more and more since yesterday that maybe the beginning of a new era for Barcelona is to part ways with Messi. Some are not sure that changing the coach, the president, whole front office, or half of the team, will fix the main issue: they invested heavily in high profile players and almost everyone of them is under performing at the moment.
The departure of Robben and Ribery is probably the reason why after we struggled, through try and error, we found the way to reinvent ourselves as a team. I said this many times: our problem has not been the 100M players that we did not buy (some here thought this was the formula to a post Robbery era), the problem was making the 40M or less players that we bought function. It seems that Flick has been able to consistently increase the output of each player in the context of a whole; coincidentally, the biggest purchases that we made are not the reference players in the team, instead those who had continuity in the club are. This is actually Bayern's identity. It has been throughout history, the only times that we won the Champions League we did it like that.
Who knows, we could crash out of the CL in the next game, but regardless I am convinced that Flick has a good base to work from, if needed we are probably at the point that we can justify splashing cash for a high profile player now, because that player will arrive knowing that Bayern will not build a team around him.
The reason why teams like PSG and Man City on paper are not than capable of winning the CL, but they haven't is certainly that type of extra element of cohesion.
All very true. The issue most of us have, I think. Is a detachment from the reality of today’s transfermarkt. A 20-30m player today does not get you the same quality of players as it did 10 years ago, and if we continue to drag our feet, it is inevitable that quality goes down.

In retrospect, this team and management have gotten some fantastic steals: Davies, Goretzka, Gnabry. The fact remains, though, that you cannot rely solely on succeeding in making deals like this. Dortmund are proof of that.

I for one am very glad that Bayern showed the willingness to finally splurge 100m on Sané, even if that eventually didn’t happen and even if I think we overpaid for him now given the changed circumstances. He is/was worth 100m, but we could have struck a better deal than we did with better negotiation imo. But the willingness to spend 100m was there and that gives me confidence that we are moving in the right direction.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby PunkCapitalist » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:12 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
Jorge wrote:
Dumbledore7 wrote:[quote="MUTU"]Fuck, our players are so mature. I'm starting to seriously believe in the treble!

It’s things like this that make me think that maybe we are re-building correctly even though we’ve signed the wrong skillset of players. Most big clubs lose the dressing room culture as soon as they had an era-defining departure like Robben and Ribery.

Actually, I have been hearing more and more since yesterday that maybe the beginning of a new era for Barcelona is to part ways with Messi. Some are not sure that changing the coach, the president, whole front office, or half of the team, will fix the main issue: they invested heavily in high profile players and almost everyone of them is under performing at the moment.
The departure of Robben and Ribery is probably the reason why after we struggled, through try and error, we found the way to reinvent ourselves as a team. I said this many times: our problem has not been the 100M players that we did not buy (some here thought this was the formula to a post Robbery era), the problem was making the 40M or less players that we bought function. It seems that Flick has been able to consistently increase the output of each player in the context of a whole; coincidentally, the biggest purchases that we made are not the reference players in the team, instead those who had continuity in the club are. This is actually Bayern's identity. It has been throughout history, the only times that we won the Champions League we did it like that.
Who knows, we could crash out of the CL in the next game, but regardless I am convinced that Flick has a good base to work from, if needed we are probably at the point that we can justify splashing cash for a high profile player now, because that player will arrive knowing that Bayern will not build a team around him.
The reason why teams like PSG and Man City on paper are not than capable of winning the CL, but they haven't is certainly that type of extra element of cohesion.
All very true. The issue most of us have, I think. Is a detachment from the reality of today’s transfermarkt. A 20-30m player today does not get you the same quality of players as it did 10 years ago, and if we continue to drag our feet, it is inevitable that quality goes down.

In retrospect, this team and management have gotten some fantastic steals: Davies, Goretzka, Gnabry. The fact remains, though, that you cannot rely solely on succeeding in making deals like this. Dortmund are proof of that.

I for one am very glad that Bayern showed the willingness to finally splurge 100m on Sané, even if that eventually didn’t happen and even if I think we overpaid for him now given the changed circumstances. He is/was worth 100m, but we could have struck a better deal than we did with better negotiation imo. But the willingness to spend 100m was there and that gives me confidence that we are moving in the right direction.[/quote]

Yes. We got Goretzka, Gnabry and Davies in amazing deals. But let us not forget that we wasted years in the process. How many years without proper wingers since roughly 2015 until we got Gnabry and Sané? Yes, the board got good deals but also wasted most of Müller, Lewandowski, Thiago, Neuer's primes. That is a FACT.

And let me just add in response to Jorge; a 100mn winger that had fixed that issue in 2015 would have been better than Gnabry for almost free in 2017 (especially considering that he didn't turn up good until 2019 or so).

During the Pep period we mostly had the core of the perfect team. We were just lacking two or three precise signings (in CB and on the wings).

Seriously, think about it. We had these players at some point (yes, I know Hummels arrived unfortunately after Pep left):

Lewy
X-Müller-X
Thiago-Vidal
Alaba-Hummels-Boateng-Kimmich
Neuer

We were just lacking two proper wingers. That's it. Pep also lacked proper CBs and after he left we lacked a proper coach. But we weren't ever that far from a top X11.

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk
PunkCapitalist
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:04 pm

30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:27 pm

Has anyone picked up on Vidal's Bundesliga line yet... I think somebody should comment on that once or twice...
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby IsiahRashad » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:55 pm

#12 wrote:Has anyone picked up on Vidal's Bundesliga line yet... I think somebody should comment on that once or twice...

I think I've said that, but there is no reason to comment his line, since before saying that he showed respect towards our team, players and organization. It's funny how literally everyone circulated his line like he said only that when asked about Bayern.

Our players and staff is intelligent enough, there is not a single reason to make any negative/funny comments about Barcelona or any players after a result like that.

But this is something to expect from Uli. :roll:
IsiahRashad

National Flag:
Bulgaria

Postby MUTU » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:00 pm

IsiahRashad wrote:
#12 wrote:Has anyone picked up on Vidal's Bundesliga line yet... I think somebody should comment on that once or twice...

I think I've said that, but there is no reason to comment his line, since before saying that he showed respect towards our team, players and organization. It's funny how literally everyone circulated his line like he said only that when asked about Bayern.

Our players and staff is intelligent enough, there is not a single reason to make any negative/funny comments about Barcelona or any players after a result like that.

He wasn't disrespectful to Bayern: he was disrespectful to the Bundesliga.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:55 pm

MUTU wrote:
IsiahRashad wrote:

He wasn't disrespectful to Bayern: he was disrespectful to the Bundesliga.
Exactly! And in effect Bayern as well...

That’s just pretty embarrassing for a nothing player that in his time in Germany:

- broke a gentlemen's agreement with one if the biggest gentlemen ever

- cost us a final

- bottled a renewal of our home streak against RM

- earned good money for 8 years while being too stupid to pick up a few lines of basic German (heck, he arrived here and didn’t know what MiaSanMia is...)

- never was a decisive factor in any meaningful success of his teams...

Go home and play with your Barbie, wannabe!
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby #12 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:03 pm

Oh and also, just like Suarez by the time he scored, he should’ve been showering by the time Davies made him look like an under 15 player...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby shpati_L1 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:42 pm

Someone find me a clip of Muller screaming weiter, weiter, weiter, after we were up like 4 or 5 goals :lol:
shpati_L1
2016/17 & 2012/13 Prediction Games Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Albania

Postby IsiahRashad » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:50 pm

#12 wrote:Exactly! And in effect Bayern as well...

That’s just pretty embarrassing for a nothing player that in his time in Germany:

- cost us a final

- earned good money for 8 years while being too stupid to pick up a few lines of basic German (heck, he arrived here and didn’t know what MiaSanMia is...)

Can't see tweet? Click here!

Do you feel better after seeing this my brother?
IsiahRashad

National Flag:
Bulgaria

Postby #12 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:04 pm

IsiahRashad wrote:

- cost us a final

A little... Considering it was only the sixth...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Borusse » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:34 pm

Wow, that was brutal. Great show of strength. You must win it this year.
Borusse
Borussia Dortmund Supporter

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Poland

Postby IsiahRashad » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:34 pm

And finally:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
IsiahRashad

National Flag:
Bulgaria

Postby #12 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:36 pm

IsiahRashad wrote:

- cost us a final

Looking for his contacts, is he?
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League