You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2020-08-14] FC Barcelona vs Bayern Munich

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:00 pm

FC Barcelona will win inside 90 minutes
20%
FC Barcelona will win after extra time
No votes
FC Barcelona will win on penalties
No votes
Bayern Munich will win on penalties
7%
Bayern Munich will win after extra time
13%
Bayern Munich will win inside 90 minutes
60%

Total votes : 15

Re: [2020-08-14] FC Barcelona vs Bayern Munich

Postby r10 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:11 pm

tuscanybayern wrote:Looking forward to Davies vs Messi tbh
We need dribbler (Thiago?) against Messi. Very close personal manmarking.
Then we need a goalkeeper (as FC Bayern do not have a decent GK anymore) and some defenders (I like Boa but he is too slow, same with Sule on short run distance).
Then we need Thomas assisting to Pole rather than aiming poles & bars and that little man No 10 not shooting over and over the woodwork.
r10
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membership

National Flag:
Poland

Postby YlonenXabi » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:20 pm

And also they had prime Messi, prime Neymar and prime Luis Suarez :shock:

I'd feel very confident on a two legged tie against this Barça team. But with the current situation I think we are just slight favourites. Messi and Suarez can easily outsmart our defense but at the same time our wings (Gnabry, Davies, Kimmich, Coman/Perisic...)

I tend to fear more Real Madrid because they can park the bus and defend a lead providing they score first. However Barça just can't do it. Even if they play with a very defensive approach, they won't be as solid in defense as the likes of Real, Juventus or Chelsea.
YlonenXabi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Spain
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby #12 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:14 pm

MUTU wrote:Temperature prediction is 26C highest, 17C lowest, that's good for football.
Not according to Niko
Summer 2020: Hasan, show us your weakness!!
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby #12 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:15 pm

Firefox1234 wrote: Can't see tweet? Click here!
Yeah we had that with RM until we bottled it twice... They kept at it though
Chief Critic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby #12 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:20 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
MUTU wrote:We need to remember we've won all matches since drawing Leipzig in February, and with just 3 more we will win the treble, even if they're wins on penalties.
I favour a different approach: forget the treble. You need to focus on one at a time as if nothing else exists, like a machine.

Kahn once said something similar about the 2001 shootout. You forget there’s a cup at stake or even how many penalties are left. You just focus on this one, get it out of the way, bring on the next, do the same, bring on the next, do the same, bring on... oh wait, we’re champions.
Did you not see him run???
He knew it was the last one!
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby #12 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:22 pm

tuscanybayern wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:
tuscanybayern wrote:Despite the final results I have always thought that was the right approach and it worked pretty well after adjusting to a back 4....then we all knew what happened...thank god we have Davies instead of Bernat

Worth remembering that although they were much better than us and we had key players out, we kept a clean sheet for 80 minutes. The 3-0 scoreline is a bit deceptive.

I agree 100%. No Ribery, no Robben, no Alaba, and Lewandowski playing with the mask due to a nose injury.

As I recall it we started the game very well and had 2 clear chances in the first 15 minutes, then Barcelona started tearing our def apart with long balls

nonetheless we kept the clean sheet for 77 minutes at Nou Camp.
We only had one "clear" chance in that game...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby tuscanybayern » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:53 pm

#12 wrote:
tuscanybayern wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:Worth remembering that although they were much better than us and we had key players out, we kept a clean sheet for 80 minutes. The 3-0 scoreline is a bit deceptive.

I agree 100%. No Ribery, no Robben, no Alaba, and Lewandowski playing with the mask due to a nose injury.

As I recall it we started the game very well and had 2 clear chances in the first 15 minutes, then Barcelona started tearing our def apart with long balls

yes and it was the only match we played without ANY winger in the last 10 years :lol:
tuscanybayern
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby #12 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:06 pm

tuscanybayern wrote:
#12 wrote:
tuscanybayern wrote:[quote="FCBayernMunchen"]Worth remembering that although they were much better than us and we had key players out, we kept a clean sheet for 80 minutes. The 3-0 scoreline is a bit deceptive.

yes and it was the only match we played without ANY winger in the last 10 years :lol:[/quote]I wasn’t stating how bad it was (it was nonetheless!) but that we simply only had one chance...

And we had a lot of games WITH wingers that were also BS...
Chief Critic

National Flag:
Germany

Postby MUTU » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:42 pm

Apologies, I was so excited to add the match to our calendar last night I mistakenly put in 19:00 for 9pm instead of 21:00 CEST. I've amended everything and the calendar item should update automatically for you guys. This is a gentle reminder that you can add the fixtures to your smartphone's calendar.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby MUTU » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:59 pm

30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:19 pm

#12 wrote:
tuscanybayern wrote:
#12 wrote:[quote="tuscanybayern"][quote="FCBayernMunchen"]Worth remembering that although they were much better than us and we had key players out, we kept a clean sheet for 80 minutes. The 3-0 scoreline is a bit deceptive.

yes and it was the only match we played without ANY winger in the last 10 years [/quote]I wasn’t stating how bad it was (it was nonetheless!) but that we simply only had one chance...

And we had a lot of games WITH wingers that were also BS...[/quote]And with Rafinha as a rcb in a three men def...
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:38 pm

Messi is going to be fit to face Bayern.
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby America USA » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:30 pm

I think Bayern will lose against Barcelona.

Why do I think so?

Well for starters I would have been definitely a lot more optimistic if Pavard and Coman were available for this match. Since they are probably not I think we are losing our settled lineup and balance in many areas of the pitch.

Kimmich/Goretzka was functioning perfectly but now Kimmich is playing at RB again and so far has been unconvincing in his displays. He was sloppy in passing and at times missing in defense against Chelsea. Pavard gave Bayern a sense of security that Kimmich is sorely lacking so far. Jordi Alba and Griezmann are very good players and therefore an out of touch RB puts Bayern at a disadvantage.

Thiago is a very good player but he was at times vulnerable in the midfield defensively as for instance when he couldn't disposses Barkley dribbling past him and had to foul him on the edge of the box. If that was Messi, he would dribble it all the way past Neuer and Bayern definitely don’t want to give Messi any free kicks near the penalty box.

Speaking of Messi. It is this man who I think will cause Bayern’s downfall. I only trust Alaba right now in our defense who can handle him. No one else in our defense and midfield inspires confidence in me when up against Messi. Messi is that damn good.

Defensively Bayern haven’t been great since the DFB Pokal final against Leverkusen and therefore I just cannot see Bayern stopping Messi/Suarez/Griezmann in this game. Griezmann also has Neuer’s number.

Barcelona’s midfield is due a good game and I think playing against a top team will bring out the best in the likes of De Jong, Roberto, Vidal, etc. Although Bayern can match Barcelona in midfield talent, Barça’s midfielders are press resistant and are really good at playing out and playing in small areas.

Attacking wise Coman’s pace and skills will be sorely missed. Gnabry was really underwhelming against Chelsea and looks like a mercurial player. If he’s on song then he can score goals and do stuff but if not then he’s pretty invisible.

The Robert-Thomas connection is working fine and will cause a lot of problems for Pique & Lenglet. The only area of the pitch where I think Bayern have a clear advantage. Although it remains to be seen if Robert Lewandowski can finally score some vital goals in a really crucial game against a formidable opponent.

Finally I think Bayern have still got a mental block against the elite Spanish teams. We have repeatedly failed against Spanish opposition for one reason or another. Having a fully healthy squad would have been the antidote to this curse but once again unfortunately we have vital players missing in Pavard and Coman (and possibly Davies too?) and I think sadly that will again be our undoing.

I think Barcelona will win this 2-1 or 3-2 with a serious defensive mistake from one of our players being the difference maker.

I hope I have to eat my words and want Hans-Dieter Flick to prove me wrong. I wish Flick comes up with some genius strategy to neutralize Messi and guide Bayern Munich to the semi final. However I am not very optimistic.

Sadly my hopes with Bayern in the European Cup have been cruelly crushed too many times and I’m mentally prepared for another disappointment. Everything hangs on this one match against Barcelona. I will only start believing if we win this and come Saturday morning Bayern are still in the UCL.

———

I think Süle looked pretty decent in the last two games and against Chelsea, Bayern were largely on top in the last 25 mins (except that Thiago free kick on Barkley) once he came in for Boateng, Chelsea were clearly second best and I don’t think had any shots on target once Süle came in. Plus the prospect of Boateng up against Messi again just scares me too much!

EDIT: I think playing Odriozola at RB won’t be the worst thing to happen. IMO he looked pretty decent and energetic as a RB during his 20 minutes against Chelsea. He even had an assist for Lewandowski’s second and Bayern’s fourth goal. Also him being a Real Madrid player he would be up for it against Barcelona.
Last edited by America USA on Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
America USA
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ramsej84 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:40 pm

Mee too.
Kimmich looked out of touch .... as if he forgot how to play in that position.
The moment we lost Pavard I immediately gave up .

Also Leon seemed lost without Joshua next to him....

I don't trust Thiago especially vs his home town.

If I were Flick I would try Tolisso as RB in order to have Kimmich and Leon back in cm.
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:47 pm

I don’t believe what I’m reading.

You’ve been going on for years, even mentioned it recently, about how Guardiola experimented too much for his own good and didn’t know not to change a winning team, especially with regard to the 3 semi final losses, and you want to play Tolisso at RB?????????
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League