You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2020-08-14] FC Barcelona vs Bayern Munich

Discussions on the UEFA Champions League matches.
 

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:00 pm

FC Barcelona will win inside 90 minutes
3
20%
FC Barcelona will win after extra time
0
No votes
FC Barcelona will win on penalties
0
No votes
Bayern Munich will win on penalties
1
7%
Bayern Munich will win after extra time
2
13%
Bayern Munich will win inside 90 minutes
9
60%
 
Total votes : 15

Re: [2020-08-14] FC Barcelona vs Bayern Munich

Postby ramsej84 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:15 pm

Firefox1234 wrote:Hopefully Coman is good to go for this match and maybe Pavard too if we're lucky....
Pavard ? Really.... ?
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
User avatar
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 47077
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:47 pm
Location: Birkirkara - Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 31568 times
Been thanked: 6811 times
Gender: Male

Re: [2020-08-14] FC Barcelona vs Bayern Munich

Postby aterford » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:00 am

I won't get ahead of myself, but I feel pretty confident at the moment.

Of course Messi is Messi and he can win games on his own no problem. But thankfully we have perhaps the one guy in the world who can rival him when it comes to 'individual brilliance' this season.

Based on what I have seen from both teams, I trust Flick's tactics heading into a match like this FAR more than I would ever trust Setien. On the basis of tactical approach...it's comfortable. I suspect it really will just require Messi conjuring up some magic in order for them to advance - I don't see any scenario in which Setien outfoxes Flick. And of course with Messi that's certainly possible....but Hans-Dieter Flick knows a thing or two about neutralizing Messi in big matches:

"We saw how the Dutch managed to keep Messi out, but we too have a special plan for him, although I won't give that away.
We're looking forward to meeting a compact, organised team and in Messi, they have one of the outstanding players of the tournament.
We know plenty about Argentina, Germany has to accept the role of favourites, but the final will write its own script."


Interestingly if I recall correctly Heynckes' approach was not so much to focus on Messi but rather to neutralize Iniesta. I'm wondering if Flick will take a similar approach: Less focus on Messi and more focus on the one(s) who are responsible for getting the ball to Messi. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully our fitness is up to the task, that'll be as big a factor as any IMO
#BigFlickEnergy
User avatar
aterford
I live on BayernForum.com
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 5508
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:40 am
Has thanked: 4404 times
Been thanked: 3697 times
Gender: Male

Re: [2020-08-14] FC Barcelona vs Bayern Munich

Postby Dumbledore7 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:36 am

There's also a good narrative going on with Boateng vs. Messi. Boateng neutralised him in 2013 and most importantly 2014, but of course Messi scored that legendary goal in 2015. If we call back the 2014 Boateng through Flick, maybe we can see something special.
User avatar
Dumbledore7
I live on BayernForum.com
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 6458
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:02 pm
Location: London
National Flag:
Indonesia
Has thanked: 4603 times
Been thanked: 3990 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Re: [2020-08-14] FC Barcelona vs Bayern Munich

Postby aterford » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:10 am

Dumbledore7 wrote:There's also a good narrative going on with Boateng vs. Messi. Boateng neutralised him in 2013 and most importantly 2014, but of course Messi scored that legendary goal in 2015. If we call back the 2014 Boateng through Flick, maybe we can see something special.


Yeah man, Barcelona brings up all sorts of interesting "narratives" at the moment.

Like you said, there's the Messi vs Boateng one.

There's the chance to perhaps see Davies vs Messi - one of the best of all-time vs one of the best of the upcoming generation

You have Thiago playing again against his boyhood club, and also one that he's often been rumored to make a move back to. Even still talk persists that perhaps he will stay at Bayern one more year and join them on a free next year.

Similarly, Barcelona has been one of the rumored destinations for Alaba.

There's a pseudo-rivalry between Neuer and ter Stegen (I think it's pretty well settled in favor of Neuer, but others disagree, I guess)

Of course, Coutinho against his parent club. If he features, anyway....

Vidal against his old club.

Lewy vs Messi in what very well might've been a Ballon d'Or deciding match, were it still taking place... :/

I'm sure there's more too, but plenty of interesting stuff to chew on
#BigFlickEnergy
User avatar
aterford
I live on BayernForum.com
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 5508
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:40 am
Has thanked: 4404 times
Been thanked: 3697 times
Gender: Male

Re: [2020-08-14] FC Barcelona vs Bayern Munich

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:41 am

I feel like this game will determine everything. As many of you know I am a big believer in the idea that psychology and belief are among the biggest factors in football. Even more so with a format of this kind this year.

If somehow, miraculously, we pull off a 3+ goal win, I cannot see City stop us.
User avatar
FCBayernMunchen
Moderator
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 39798
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 13356 times
Been thanked: 10550 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: [2020-08-14] FC Barcelona vs Bayern Munich

Postby Fénix » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:16 am

Precisely faith and psychology. This is the match where you want to end that negative chain reaction against Spanish sides.
We used to be nightmare for them through the whole history and since 2013/2014 they became to us.
Next Friday it's time to end this junk, win no matter what.

1:0 would be more than perfect, it's just one match and winning is winning, semifinal just 90 minutes away.
User avatar
Fénix
Moderator
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 10915
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: Croatia
National Flag:
Croatia
Has thanked: 4739 times
Been thanked: 4455 times
Gender: Male

Re: [2020-08-14] FC Barcelona vs Bayern Munich

Postby MUTU » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:44 am

We need to remember we've won all matches since drawing Leipzig in February, and with just 3 more we will win the treble, even if they're wins on penalties.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
User avatar
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 45956
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: L-Imqabba, Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 8417 times
Been thanked: 13380 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: [2020-08-14] FC Barcelona vs Bayern Munich

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:20 am

MUTU wrote:We need to remember we've won all matches since drawing Leipzig in February, and with just 3 more we will win the treble, even if they're wins on penalties.
I favour a different approach: forget the treble. You need to focus on one at a time as if nothing else exists, like a machine.

Kahn once said something similar about the 2001 shootout. You forget there’s a cup at stake or even how many penalties are left. You just focus on this one, get it out of the way, bring on the next, do the same, bring on the next, do the same, bring on... oh wait, we’re champions.
User avatar
FCBayernMunchen
Moderator
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 39798
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 13356 times
Been thanked: 10550 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: [2020-08-14] FC Barcelona vs Bayern Munich

Postby IsiahRashad » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:35 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
MUTU wrote:We need to remember we've won all matches since drawing Leipzig in February, and with just 3 more we will win the treble, even if they're wins on penalties.
I favour a different approach: forget the treble. You need to focus on one at a time as if nothing else exists, like a machine.

Kahn once said something similar about the 2001 shootout. You forget there’s a cup at stake or even how many penalties are left. You just focus on this one, get it out of the way, bring on the next, do the same, bring on the next, do the same, bring on... oh wait, we’re champions.


I believe this is the approach by Hansi as well. You can hear him talking about that literally every press conference - they are planning a game for game - of course, everyone's still wanting to win it all, but the indvidual approach by him for his players and games is probably the best one.
Image
User avatar
IsiahRashad
Moderator & 2019/20 Prediction Game Winner
Moderator & 2019/20 Prediction Game Winner
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 10402
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:38 pm
National Flag:
Bulgaria
Has thanked: 5158 times
Been thanked: 5416 times
Gender: Male

Re: [2020-08-14] FC Barcelona vs Bayern Munich

Postby ramsej84 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:00 am

I don't know from where you are getting this positivity.... our def yest was horrible including the mighty Neuer
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
User avatar
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 47077
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:47 pm
Location: Birkirkara - Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 31568 times
Been thanked: 6811 times
Gender: Male

Re: [2020-08-14] FC Barcelona vs Bayern Munich

Postby MUTU » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:05 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
MUTU wrote:We need to remember we've won all matches since drawing Leipzig in February, and with just 3 more we will win the treble, even if they're wins on penalties.
I favour a different approach: forget the treble. You need to focus on one at a time as if nothing else exists, like a machine.

Kahn once said something similar about the 2001 shootout. You forget there’s a cup at stake or even how many penalties are left. You just focus on this one, get it out of the way, bring on the next, do the same, bring on the next, do the same, bring on... oh wait, we’re champions.

That's the approach that the players need to take not us fans ;)
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
User avatar
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016, 2017/18 and World Cup 2018 Prediction Game Winner
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 45956
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: L-Imqabba, Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 8417 times
Been thanked: 13380 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: [2020-08-14] FC Barcelona vs Bayern Munich

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:18 am

ramsej84 wrote:I don't know from where you are getting this positivity.... our def yest was horrible including the mighty Neuer

Not really.

Neuer made one big mistake. He was solid otherwise, though not at his best.
Other than the cancelled goal, Thiago was fantastic defensively.
In the second half, Goretzka was good. If our concern was lack of chemistry between the two, the second half showed us we don't have to worry much.
Chelsea had 5 offsides. Our defence kept catching them out easily.
Suele and Boateng were both great.

Plus Barca's defence is really nothing to write home about, so let's not ignore our strength up front.

Chelsea hardly had any chances.
User avatar
FCBayernMunchen
Moderator
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 39798
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 13356 times
Been thanked: 10550 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: [2020-08-14] FC Barcelona vs Bayern Munich

Postby tuscanybayern » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:21 am

aterford wrote:I won't get ahead of myself, but I feel pretty confident at the moment.

Of course Messi is Messi and he can win games on his own no problem. But thankfully we have perhaps the one guy in the world who can rival him when it comes to 'individual brilliance' this season.

Based on what I have seen from both teams, I trust Flick's tactics heading into a match like this FAR more than I would ever trust Setien. On the basis of tactical approach...it's comfortable. I suspect it really will just require Messi conjuring up some magic in order for them to advance - I don't see any scenario in which Setien outfoxes Flick. And of course with Messi that's certainly possible....but Hans-Dieter Flick knows a thing or two about neutralizing Messi in big matches:

"We saw how the Dutch managed to keep Messi out, but we too have a special plan for him, although I won't give that away.
We're looking forward to meeting a compact, organised team and in Messi, they have one of the outstanding players of the tournament.
We know plenty about Argentina, Germany has to accept the role of favourites, but the final will write its own script."


Interestingly if I recall correctly Heynckes' approach was not so much to focus on Messi but rather to neutralize Iniesta. I'm wondering if Flick will take a similar approach: Less focus on Messi and more focus on the one(s) who are responsible for getting the ball to Messi. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully our fitness is up to the task, that'll be as big a factor as any IMO


Guardiola had the same approach: not focusing on Messi but instead try to disrupt Barca's possession game in their own third. We started with a back three of Benatia, Boateng and Rafinha man-marking Neymar, Suarez and Messi. Alaba was injured so Rafinha had to start as a LB and take care of Messi.

Schweini Lewandowski and Muller with a very high positional pressing to block passing lines try to regain possession.

Despite the final results I have always thought that was the right approach and it worked pretty well after adjusting to a back 4....then we all knew what happened...thank god we have Davies instead of Bernat
tuscanybayern
I'm a chatterbox!
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 916
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:00 pm
Has thanked: 214 times
Been thanked: 382 times
Gender: Male

Re: [2020-08-14] FC Barcelona vs Bayern Munich

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:25 am

tuscanybayern wrote:Despite the final results I have always thought that was the right approach and it worked pretty well after adjusting to a back 4....then we all knew what happened...thank god we have Davies instead of Bernat

Worth remembering that although they were much better than us and we had key players out, we kept a clean sheet for 80 minutes. The 3-0 scoreline is a bit deceptive.
User avatar
FCBayernMunchen
Moderator
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 39798
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 13356 times
Been thanked: 10550 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: [2020-08-14] FC Barcelona vs Bayern Munich

Postby tuscanybayern » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:54 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
tuscanybayern wrote:Despite the final results I have always thought that was the right approach and it worked pretty well after adjusting to a back 4....then we all knew what happened...thank god we have Davies instead of Bernat

Worth remembering that although they were much better than us and we had key players out, we kept a clean sheet for 80 minutes. The 3-0 scoreline is a bit deceptive.


I agree 100%. No Ribery, no Robben, no Alaba, and Lewandowski playing with the mask due to a nose injury.

As I recall it we started the game very well and had 2 clear chances in the first 15 minutes, then Barcelona started tearing our def apart with long balls

nonetheless we kept the clean sheet for 77 minutes at Nou Camp.
tuscanybayern
I'm a chatterbox!
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 916
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:00 pm
Has thanked: 214 times
Been thanked: 382 times
Gender: Male

PreviousNext

Return to UEFA Champions League

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests